Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX release v3.2.4 build 3060 - 10 December 2019.
    Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014

See the Wiki for downloading either version.

La Crosse WS2355 in cold weather

Gina
    Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
    Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Re: La Crosse WS2355 in cold weather

Post by Gina » Tue 28 Dec 2010 10:39 am

Paulu wrote:OR if you want to get really cute buy a can of spray freezer at an electronics suppliers, take your unit apart and spray the internal parts component by component until the fault occurs....
    Yes, that's a very good way of checking for dry joints and faulty components.
    Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.

beteljuice
    Weather Station: None !
    Operating System: ex XP SP3 - now W10 laptop grr

Post by beteljuice » Tue 28 Dec 2010 1:21 pm

It's also a good way to destroy your hygrometer :lol:
    ......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !

mikeh
    Weather Station: Lacrosse WS2357
    Operating System: Windows 7 32bit

Post by mikeh » Tue 28 Dec 2010 3:23 pm

Happy New Year!

Paul, thanks for that, but I'm convinced that the problem is in the base station: I brought the outdoor sensor indoors [20degC], and put the indoor base station outside [approx 0degC], and sure enough, the transmission failed when the base station cooled down to about 14degC. Transmission restarted when I brought it indoors and the temperature came back up above 15deg. No probs when the experiment was repeated with a wired connection.

However, if I can't get satisfaction under the guarantee, I shall take up your suggestion of a freezer can on the electronics on the base station - avoiding the hygrometer!

Problem with trying wireless experiments using a fridge, of course, is that it makes a nice Faraday cage - can you get plastic fridges?

Mike

Ned
    Weather Station: WS2083 aspirated
    Operating System: Win 10

Post by Ned » Tue 28 Dec 2010 9:23 pm

mikeh wrote: Problem with trying wireless experiments using a fridge, of course, is that it makes a nice Faraday cage - can you get plastic fridges?
    Sort of - we call them 'chilly bins'. Need to add ice :D

mikeh
    Weather Station: Lacrosse WS2357
    Operating System: Windows 7 32bit

Post by mikeh » Tue 28 Dec 2010 11:41 pm

Doh-
    Didn't think of that!

jlfutari
    Weather Station: La Crosse WS 2355
    Operating System: Vista Ultimate SP2

Post by jlfutari » Fri 22 Apr 2011 7:07 am

Hi All,
    Back on the 1st page of this thread, it was suggested that I Lithium, battery's to fix my cold weather problem. LAst sroing I did indeed try a set, but for some reason, the battery's failed after 1 hour. So i decided to leave it until this winter.
    So Winter is rapidly approaching in my part of the globe and so I purchased a new set of Lithium battery's, pop them into the external sensor and all was well for about a hour and then they stopped working (evidenced by the blank internal station readings for the outside).
    I'm a little confused, is it possible I have purchased another dud set of lithium battery's?
    Can the LA Crosse not handle lithium battery's?
    Its chilly outside... are the lithium battery's failing because of the cool temps?

James

AllyCat
    Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
    Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat » Fri 22 Apr 2011 9:32 am

Hi James,

I don't have any practical experience of the La Crosse (nor AA Lithium cells for that matter) but all the data suggests that Lithium cells are the best to use for this application. Particularly for low temperatures (below -20 degrees C), see a typical data sheet here.

However, the situation with "Lithium" cells is quite complicated because they are available in both primary (disposable) and rechargeable forms and with one of three different "nominal" voltages. Probably the most familiar are the rechargeable Lithium ION (or Lithium Polymer) which deliver 3.7 volts for mobile phones, etc.. These are also available in the standard AA format, but should NOT be used as a substitute for 1.5 volt cells :oops: ). Then there are the (generally) non-rechargeable 3.0 volt cells, usually in "coin" format for example used for the clock/BIOS backup in PCs (e.g. CR2032 where the pairs of digits refer to the diameter and thickness in mms).

But, for the weather stations you want 1.5 volt Lithium IRON cells as in the data sheet above. It may be worth noting that when "new" they actually deliver about 1.8 volts, so it's just possible that this is too much for your La Crosse (I wouldn't expect this to be the case, but we're clutching at straws here :) ). Another possibility is that your La Crosse hardware doesn't like the cold. :o

Cheers, Alan.

jlfutari

Post by jlfutari » Sat 23 Apr 2011 3:44 am

Hi AllyCat,
    The 2 sets of Lithium battery's that I have don't actually indicate if I they are Lithium IRON cells or not. Although the image on that data sheet(via the link) of the Energizer Ultimate lithium battery's, are exactly the same type Of Energizer lithium as I have.
    AllyCat wrote: It may be worth noting that when "new" they actually deliver about 1.8 volts, so it's just possible that this is too much for your La Crosse
    I wonder if that is my problem..... My La Crosse external sensor can't handle 1.8 volts?

cheers

James
    Last edited by jlfutari on Sat 23 Apr 2011 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gina
    Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
    Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina » Sat 23 Apr 2011 7:28 am

The Lithium batteries you want come in standard AA size and are clearly marked 1.5v.

These are what I get http://www.amazon.co.uk/Energizer-Ultim ... 625&sr=1-1
    Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.

jlfutari

Post by jlfutari » Sat 23 Apr 2011 8:16 am

Hi Gina,
    Those battery's are exactly what I have tried to use. Initially after putting them in the outdoor sensor works fine out. After approx 1 hour, the indoor receiving station stops receiving a signal ( I assume that means the out door sensor is not working). When I replace the lithium battery's with the old alkaline, the outdoor sensor works as per normal.
    Confused......
    ?

James

steve
    Cumulus Author
    Weather Station: None
    Operating System: None

Post by steve » Sat 23 Apr 2011 8:34 am

What condition are the batteries in when you take them out - what voltage do they read on a meter?
    Steve

jlfutari

Post by jlfutari » Sat 23 Apr 2011 10:30 am

I don't have any equipment to measure the voltages/condition of the batteries. The battery's do work just fine in other devices.

James

AllyCat
    Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
    Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat » Sun 24 Apr 2011 8:53 am

Hi James,

Even "fresh" Alkaline batteries should deliver at least 1.6 volts (each) so the extra few hundred millivolts from the Lithiums shouldn't be a problem, but perhaps it's just enough to push your La Crosse "over the edge". Can you try any "part used" Lithiums?

The simplest test I can suggest is to temorarily replace ONE of the batteries with a charged AA rechargeable battery (Nickel Hydride or Nickel Cadmium). These deliver typically 1.2 volts which should cancel out any "extra" volts from the Lithium AA. But this is only for testing because you should not normally mix different types of cell, and generally these rechargeable cells are not suitable for this type of application because their "self-discharge" gives a poor lifetime.

If this test proves successful (or as an alternative test) connect a diode in series with the batteries (perhaps a "Schottky barrier" type if you are actually taking the trouble to buy one). The easiest place to do this is with some insulating tape at the "bridge" which connects the two batteries in the unit. A diode will drop about half a volt (a little less for the Schottky type a little more for a general purpose diode) regardless of the current flow (a resistor is no good because the transmitter draws pulses of current).

To check if the La Crosse unit itself is affected by the cold, you might try putting it in a fridge or freezer. The metal case of the freezer could block the radio waves, but a sufficient signal might get through the door seal.

Cheers, Alan.

Tallone
    Weather Station: La Crosse 2355
    Operating System: Windows Xp

Post by Tallone » Wed 29 Jun 2011 1:59 am

Hi all, new to this forum, I too had this problem, and owing to a lucky break I discovered the problem, you can forget the outside unit although the lithium batteries are a great idea for a variety of reasons.
    The answer lies in the specs page of the manual !! for the WS2355 it will function down to -29.9 C. But look closely at the inside temp. range the lower end is shown as -9.9 C, keep in mind that this unit was designed in north America where the winter temperatures outside are enough to have the local brass Monkey crying in pain !!! but his owner lives in lovely warm home at the very least at around +24 C upwards ( I lived there for a couple of years and speak from personal experience.) I realized this a couple of day's ago when my WS 2355 started its winter performance when the outside dropped below 6C. and the INSIDE temp. dropped to below about 14.5 deg. on finding the link between the console and outside down and it would not restore by my carrying out the "re-sync procedure" ( depressing the + button until a beep sounds ) so I swung the small desk reading lamp around to illuminate the console screen for about a minute and tried re-syncing again, that was it, all was back to normal, later in the day I reproduced this by lowering the console temperature with "freeze" spray several times and the results were positive each time.
    Last night I kept the lamp on and no problems!
    Hope this helps those experiencing this problem.
    Robert.

ZL2AIM
    Weather Station: WS2355
    Operating System: Windows XP Pro SP3

Post by ZL2AIM » Thu 30 Jun 2011 8:57 pm

I agree with Tallone.
    Also new to this forum. I have a WS2355 and use it with Windows XP Pro SP 3. Using Weather Display software.
    I experienced the dropping of information starting a few days ago. We are in the middle of winter here in New Zealand and I this is the first winter that I have used the weather station.
    I have been seeing straight line graphs for temperature, humidity, wind direction over a period of about 6 hours at a time. This morning it had been reading the same information for over 5 hours when I noticed the La Crosse indoor display was not showing any data. The genuine INDOOR temperature was about 10 deg C.
    I tried Tallone's suggestion of putting a reading lamp near the console and hey presto, as the temperature came up to 14 deg C, so the console came to life with the correct information!

Now, if only I could make sure that I don't get any 92 km/hr wind spikes and -9 Deg C spikes! That will be another thread.