Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Crashes after midnight

AndyH
Weather Station: La Crosse 2350
Operating System: Windows 8

Crashes after midnight

Post by AndyH »

Hi,

I am very new to Cumulus after discovering it a couple of days ago after getting fed up with Heavy Weather.

I have a question - I am using the data logger to capture the information as I do not leave my PC on all the time. During the day this all works fine but once the clock passes midnight then Cumulus crashes on start up and will not work until all the datafiles have been deleted.

On reading the help manual it states that a dayfile.txt file is created at midnight (which is the setting I had) but I have never had one of these files created.

Is this file just created at midnight or should there be a blank one on installation?

Would very much lilke to keep using this software if I can get around this issue!!

Thank you.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Crashes after midnight

Post by steve »

The dayfile.txt file is created the first time Cumulus attempts to write to it. If it's crashing every time, then it probably hasn't had chance to create the file. When you get a crash, you normally get a dialogue box, and a bugreport.txt file is created - does that not happen?

If you zip up the diags folder and attach it, I might be able to see what's happening, but the bugreport.txt file would also be useful, if there is one.
Steve
AndyH

Post by AndyH »

Thank you for your quick response.

I will try and leave Cumulus running through the night tonight and see whether that helps. I will send you any error reports in the morning and any guidance you can provide would be great.

If I can get past this problem then you have a convert to your software!!
AndyH

Post by AndyH »

Just as an update.
I left Cumulus running last night and when I woke up this morning it had crashed before midnight. I restarted and it then created the daylog.txt file although it didn't record any information from the time it crashed to the time I restarted this morning.

However.......

I took delivery of a PCI Serial port card this morning and have now installed this and have connected my weather station directly into this rather than via a USB converter which appears to be more trouble than it's worth.

I am now running Cumulus and it has not crashed or stopped recording in the last 5 hours. Fingers crossed! :geek:
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Ah, I didn't realise you were using a USB converter. Cumulus doesn't work well with La Crosse stations with those (I don't support their use with Cumulus). I don't think La Crosse stations work very well with USB adapters anyway, even disregarding Cumulus. The usual problem is just corrupt data, but sometimes there are problems with the drivers causing system problems - that could well be the explanation in your case.
Steve
AndyH

Post by AndyH »

That's the reason I finally decided to change and use a serial card. Lasted nearly 2 years with one and collecting data but at times it was very annoying with constant re-booting of the PC to get heavy weather to download the data. Once it was downloaded though I had written my own PHP/MYSQL website which I was quite proud of!!

Never mind - on to better things!

Cumulus lasted all night without crashing. Very pleased. Thank you.