Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Extrange average temp

yv1hx
Weather Station: No station yet ...
Operating System: Win XP Professional

Extrange average temp

Post by yv1hx »

Hi folks!

I'm getting this strange graph of temperature. The blue line corresponds to the average temperature and I have no idea of the origin of such behavior. (I live in a tropical coastal area, the lowest recorded temperature was +16C a few years ago).

The trends for minimum and maximum temp behave within the observed by the weather station..

Graphs can be observed at:

http://www.yv5fih.org.ve/red/Cabimas/trends.html

BTW, My station is LaCrosse WS-2310 in wired mode, records captured every minute, Cumulus version 1.8.8 Build (881).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marco
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Extrange average temp

Post by steve »

The min, max and average temperatures are plotted from the corresponding values in dayfile.txt, so that's the first place to start. If you want to attach it here, I'll have a look. It's probably a good idea to also attach your april and may data files.

The daily average temperature is calculated by sampling the temperature once a minute, calculating the sum of all of the samples and dividing by the number of samples. If you stop Cumulus, the current total and number of samples are written to today.ini, and read back in again when you start Cumulus up again. What is your pattern of usage of Cumulus? Do you leave it running all the time, or do you stop it every night and start it in the morning, or stop it just occasionally, or...?

You're using an old version of Cumulus, but I don't remember any problems with the average temperature calculation in 1.8.8. What is the average temperature on your Cumulus screen showing right now?

Your graph also stops at 13th May, which is strange, and probably related to this problem.
Steve
yv1hx

Post by yv1hx »

Steve, Sorry for my late reply,
steve wrote:The min, max and average temperatures are plotted from the corresponding values in dayfile.txt, so that's the first place to start. If you want to attach it here, I'll have a look. It's probably a good idea to also attach your april and may data files.
The requested files are attached!
steve wrote:The daily average temperature is calculated by sampling the temperature once a minute, calculating the sum of all of the samples and dividing by the number of samples. If you stop Cumulus, the current total and number of samples are written to today.ini, and read back in again when you start Cumulus up again. What is your pattern of usage of Cumulus? Do you leave it running all the time, or do you stop it every night and start it in the morning, or stop it just occasionally, or...?
The usage pattern is fulltime, except when I have power outages at home…

That is the answer to the mystery. Since January in our country we are suffering scheduled power cuts. We have a scheduled power outages Monday to Friday from 12:00 to 14:00 and the weekends usually from 15:00 to 17:00.

Obviously, when the power goes off, Cumulus don’t have time to write the last values in the. Ini file.

However, I have other station under test, running the same Cumulus version and doesn’t exhibit the same estrange graphs.

http://www.yv5fih.org.ve/red/Bomberos_C ... rends.html

Both stations are at the same location by now. Although they show different locations on the web pages.
steve wrote:You're using an old version of Cumulus, but I don't remember any problems with the average temperature calculation in 1.8.8. What is the average temperature on your Cumulus screen showing right now?
I should move on :)
steve wrote: Your graph also stops at 13th May, which is strange, and probably related to this problem.
It was a old print. The updated ones always are at the following link:
http://www.yv5fih.org.ve/red/Cabimas/trends.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marco
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Your average temperature is actually OK - it's the green line, not the blue line. The blue line is the minimum temperature, and you're getting some 'bad' values from somewhere, e.g:

11/05/10 0,4 at 11:28
12/05/10 0,8 at 11:43
13/05/10 0,8 at 11:11
17/05/10 1,0 at 19:20
19/05/10 0,2 at 08:15
24/05/10 1,0 at 14:29

Most of these don't appear in your May log, but this one does:

11/05/10;11:29;0,4;65;-5,5;4,3;12,2;228;0,0;0,0;1012,1;45,2;32,4;46;10,1;0,4;0,4

This suggests that you are getting brief data corruptions which usually correct themselves straight away so don't often appear in the log, but do affect the daily low value.
Steve
yv1hx

Post by yv1hx »

Thanks for your help, Steve.

What will be the source of these readings? Maybe the weird data protocol of the LaCrosse WS23xx??
Marco
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It looks like you are also getting wind speed 'spikes'. Are you using a serial/USB adapter?
Steve
yv1hx

Post by yv1hx »

Nope!

All of my PC have RS-232 serial ports built-in.

So I have the WS-23xx directly connected, without any USB converter boxes.
Marco
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

The WS23xx is apparently very susceptible to RF interference, so perhaps that is the explanation?
Steve