Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Data Problem

mi77915
Weather Station: La Crosse WS-2308
Operating System: Windows XP

Data Problem

Post by mi77915 »

I have been using Cumulus with my La Crosse 2308 since March of this year. My PC is “hard wired” to my modem through my wireless router. It runs on my PC without any problems.

I have recently moved my PC to another room in my home, but I have altered my PC with wireless capabilities. Now all my weather station data is transmitted wirelessly to my router. This has not worked very well. It continually transmits for a few hours then no more data is uploaded to Wunderground.

Is this a function of transmitting wireless vs. hard wired?

When this happens, I am still able to access the web on that computer.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Data Problem

Post by steve »

Are you just uploading to WU, or anywhere else as well, and if to anywhere else are they also affected? Are you using 'rapid fire'?

If you turn on the debug log in Cumulus, uploads to WU are logged to the debug.log file. When it stops working, there might be something useful in there.
Steve
mi77915

Post by mi77915 »

Hi Steve,

I am uploading to a total of (3) sites (Wunderground, PWS, WeatherBug). Yes, they all stopped receiving data, and yes, I am using rapidfire on Wunderground. I am not at my home right now, but I'll check the .log when I get home.

Thanks,

Tom
mi77915

Post by mi77915 »

I disabled the wireless card and went back to the ethernet connection. This seems to work better with no interruptions. I have the feeling that the wireless hardware install, for some reason, is not working very well with my computer. After about 3 to 4 hours, my computer locks up (it never did that before I had the wireless card added at a computer shop). I'm not very computer "savey".

My other alternative is to get a dedicated laptop computer and locate it in my spear room (via wireless). Will Cumulus work with a laptop that does not have a serial port (La Crosse 2308 has this type of cable), but uses a serial port adapter into a USB port or an older style "phone" jack?

Thank you,

Tom
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

La Crosse stations are known to be troublesome with USB adapters, and not just with Cumulus, so you are likely to have problems. Some adapters seem to work better than others, and I know that some people are using USB adapters reasonably successfully with La Crosse stations and Cumulus, so perhaps someone will be able to suggest one for you to try.

But perhaps you should get the shop to sort out the problem with the wireless card?
Steve