Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Alternative approach ( Custom gauges, Highcharts )

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

abelenkiy
Weather Station: WH 1080
Operating System: Win 7

Alternative approach ( Custom gauges, Highcharts )

Post by abelenkiy »

Hi All ,

While I found Cumulus web templates to be very good way to build weather sites for most people and SteelSeries gauges being packed with masses of useful features , they still don't give the same level of look customization I would like to have .

So I have created my web site from scratch by creating all gauges / graphs myself with the help of highcharts javascript library .

Please have a look : http://weather.belenkiy.co.uk , and share you thoughts.

Main difference is , besides doing custom web design myself , is that I didn't like the way how cumulus stores the information , i.e. all these files with min/max per month etc ... I though that the better way would be to have proper mysql database on the website , store realtime data there , and then when you need to retrieve anything you like just write sql query to get anything you want , like min/max values per period etc

I would welcome you opinions on this alternative design approach .

( note the weather data is designed to be updated every 15 min , but I don't run the application which does this at the moment 24h a day and just start it from time to time as it just sits on my home pc )

Thanks
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Alternative approach ( Custom gauges, Highcharts )

Post by steve »

abelenkiy wrote:I didn't like the way how cumulus stores the information , i.e. all these files with min/max per month etc ... I though that the better way would be to have proper mysql database on the website , store realtime data there , and then when you need to retrieve anything you like just write sql query to get anything you want , like min/max values per period etc
Well, yes. Every so often someone turns up on the forum and tells me how I should have done it. And then I have to start trotting out the same old stuff about how Cumulus was just something I just knocked up in an afternoon, and it was never intended to be anything more than a quick prototype. And then I go on about how Cumulus 2 has/had an SQL database, but how I had to abandon that, and then everyone else in the forum who has read it all many times before starts falling asleep... ;)
Steve
abelenkiy
Weather Station: WH 1080
Operating System: Win 7

Post by abelenkiy »

steve wrote:
abelenkiy wrote:I didn't like the way how cumulus stores the information , i.e. all these files with min/max per month etc ... I though that the better way would be to have proper mysql database on the website , store realtime data there , and then when you need to retrieve anything you like just write sql query to get anything you want , like min/max values per period etc
Well, yes. Every so often someone turns up on the forum and tells me how I should have done it. And then I have to start trotting out the same old stuff about how Cumulus was just something I just knocked up in an afternoon, and it was never intended to be anything more than a quick prototype. And then I go on about how Cumulus 2 has/had an SQL database, but how I had to abandon that, and then everyone else in the forum who has read it all many times before starts falling asleep... ;)
Well , it definitely wasn't my intention to say anything about what to change in cumulus , just noted what I found not suitable for my needs , only my own needs .

The way my site works is that there is a process which runs every 15 mins and parses the file at specified location and check for new records which than are inserted into database. At the moment that file is in easyweather format , but can be any formal like cumulus realtime etc - i.e. in principal that custom design doesn't replace cumulus functionality but just extends it to my own needs.
duke

Post by duke »

how Cumulus was just something I just knocked up in an afternoon,
Steve, I believe you are being somewhat modest. And, I am sure I read somewhere you were having a break for a while now 'v1.9.3' is 'out the door'. Yet, this week I see already, 'v1.9.4'.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

duke wrote:I believe you are being somewhat modest
It's true; Cumulus was originally just a quick prototype to see if I could actually read data from my weather station. But of course, once you have something working, it's very hard to scrap it and start again with a proper well thought out design. You just keep adding bits on to what you have.
And, I am sure I read somewhere you were having a break for a while now 'v1.9.3' is 'out the door'. Yet, this week I see already, 'v1.9.4'.
No rest for the wicked ;)
Steve
holty1352
Weather Station: WMR200A
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by holty1352 »

While we are all created equal , isnt it great we are not all the same . ;)

I gather I fall into the "most people" folder , I dont use the gauges at all and am in the process of removing them off my website in total as time permits . I do look at / use the graphs a lot especially when visitors want to know what "the poles are in the nursery ?"

Holty.
duke

Post by duke »

once you have something working, it's very hard to scrap it and start again with a proper well thought out design...........No rest for the wicked ;)
May be 'Cumulus 2' that you 'tease' us all with from time to time ;)
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

duke wrote:May be 'Cumulus 2' that you 'tease' us all with from time to time ;)
Cumulus 2 is definitely dead. Maybe. But I do have something else in progress in the background.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

duke wrote:
steve wrote:But I do have something else in progress in the background.

Ever curious as I am , any light to be shed on this yet......?
Duke, I'm going to take the liberty of moving your question to a new thread, where I will do my best to answer it.

Edit: moved to here: https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9782
Steve
meteotortosa
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by meteotortosa »

abelenkiy wrote:Hi All ,

While I found Cumulus web templates to be very good way to build weather sites for most people and SteelSeries gauges being packed with masses of useful features , they still don't give the same level of look customization I would like to have .

So I have created my web site from scratch by creating all gauges / graphs myself with the help of highcharts javascript library .

Please have a look : http://weather.belenkiy.co.uk , and share you thoughts.

Main difference is , besides doing custom web design myself , is that I didn't like the way how cumulus stores the information , i.e. all these files with min/max per month etc ... I though that the better way would be to have proper mysql database on the website , store realtime data there , and then when you need to retrieve anything you like just write sql query to get anything you want , like min/max values per period etc

I would welcome you opinions on this alternative design approach .

( note the weather data is designed to be updated every 15 min , but I don't run the application which does this at the moment 24h a day and just start it from time to time as it just sits on my home pc )

Thanks
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Very nice web !!
Weather in Tortosa (NE Spain), updated every 15'
Image Image
meteotortosa
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by meteotortosa »

Is it posible to share the code of your web?

Thanks

Lluís
Weather in Tortosa (NE Spain), updated every 15'
Image Image
TgT
Weather Station: Davis VP2 + Solar
Operating System: A20 TV box + CumulusMX

Post by TgT »

Page looks fancy, great work! :clap:
gluepack
Weather Station: PCE-FWS 20
Operating System: Win 7 Pro

Post by gluepack »

How did I miss this? Wow! Beautiful.

PWS links: WundergroundIVARNAPR3CWOP/APRSE(W)2048PWSWeatherZLATINABGAwekas10631Twitter@Zlatina_weather
Station type: PCE-FWS 20…Webcam link: View south to edge of Provadisko plateau