Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Adverts on my website!

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

William Grimsley
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Adverts on my website!

Post by William Grimsley »

Hi guys,

At school today, a teaching assistant was looking at my website and thought it was very good. He said "You should put some adverts on your website, you can get paid for them". I have had a think about it but I'm not sure whether to put adverts on my site or not?

My question is, is putting adverts on my website, a good idea or not a good idea?

Please put your opinions below,

Thanks

William
KevinF
Weather Station: WMR200
Operating System: XP SP3

Re: Adverts on my website!

Post by KevinF »

Hi William

In my opinion it is a terrible idea. You won't get rich selling your website off for some two-bit ad. Advertising is the dreaded scourge of life today - it is unwanted and definitely deters further exploration of websites once the spam (advertising) has been encountered. I'm surprised that one of the school staff even suggested it. What would be more appropriate is for you to link to the school website or for the school to even emulate this fantastic school weather station here:

http://rgsweather.wordpress.com/

Regards K
William Grimsley

Hi Kevin,

Yes, I thought it was a bad idea, too! I could ask one of our technicians to add my link to the school's website, though the school is in a totally different location to Newton Poppleford! LOL :D

The link to the website you gave me is very good! For a school, they must like the weather! LOL :D

School Website Link: http://thekings.devon.sch.uk

Thanks for your opinion,

William
KevinF
Weather Station: WMR200
Operating System: XP SP3

Post by KevinF »

Yes it was only my opinion William. I think the teacher is doing the majority of the work at Reigate, but yes I enjoy looking in there for my own education on meteorological matters.

Maybe, you should be suggesting to the Senior Geography teacher at your school that they need a school weather station and point him/her to Reigate as best practice not just educational wise but also as a service to the local local community.

say...

'Sir...we are being left behind! Shouldn't a school of our stature have a station such as this: eg Reigate? I will run it for you, and take ownership and responsibility for it's day to day servicing along with my fellow pupils.

along those lines if you see what I mean

Regards K
tomcatuk
Weather Station: ----> Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10 20H2 19042.685

Post by tomcatuk »

Don't see ad's anyway, I use an ad blocker.. :lol: :lol:
Regards Steve
Jim Brown
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Win 7

Post by Jim Brown »

Some things to think about.

Your site then might be considered a commercial site and your ISP and Hosting ISP might want to charge you commercial or business rates.

There could be Tax to be considered though probably too small to attract any attention.

You might get by with listing sponsors. This site partially sponsored by ???? Might get a few pennies that way.

AN alternate way to perhaps sell your skill. Pick a nearby business that depends on weather.

Sports store, bicycle store, ski store. Go ahead on your own and build a demo site with there name and maps ect. And then offer it to them. You might be surprised at how well the works.
William Grimsley

KevinF wrote:Yes it was only my opinion William. I think the teacher is doing the majority of the work at Reigate, but yes I enjoy looking in there for my own education on meteorological matters.

Maybe, you should be suggesting to the Senior Geography teacher at your school that they need a school weather station and point him/her to Reigate as best practice not just educational wise but also as a service to the local local community.

say...

'Sir...we are being left behind! Shouldn't a school of our stature have a station such as this: eg Reigate? I will run it for you, and take ownership and responsibility for it's day to day servicing along with my fellow pupils.

along those lines if you see what I mean

Regards K
That seems a very hard job for my confidence and school! We only have a jammed up wind vane and a rain gauge at our school! LOL :D