Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Amazon Web Services?

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

b.e.wilson
Weather Station: Davis Vantage VUE
Operating System: Windows 10

Amazon Web Services?

Post by b.e.wilson »

Has anyone tried Amazon Web Services (EC2) for hosting? It's free for a year, then you pay for various bits of running a virtual server. I'm curious if it will let you update via FTP, and if updating realtime.txt often (every 5 seconds) would be allowed.
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Re: Amazon Web Services?

Post by daj »

I do not have any experience of this at all, but my understanding is that it can be quite complicated. If you want to present a static website you use the S3 service; if it is to be dynamic you also require the EC2 services. You pay for the time you run an EC2 instance.

I've had a few reads about the service in the past but it seems overly complicated to run a relatively simply site.

Maybe someone else has tried it and can offer a more informed view
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
lardconcepts
Weather Station: Maplin WH1801
Operating System: Win 8.1 Pro

Re: Amazon Web Services?

Post by lardconcepts »

I've got a friend who wants to setup a basic cumulus site, and amazon S3 website would fall well within the free limits it gives and as cumulus doesn't need anything more than ftp and "flat" pages, it would be ideal.

The thing that's failed me is finding an ftp->s3 "bridge" that would intercept Cumulus' ftp chatter and direct it to the s3 bucket.

Alternatively, has anyone found any weather friendly small free space? Had a quick search here but all the suggestions go back a bit.