Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Overlaid transparent images

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

goldrush
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1081

Overlaid transparent images

Post by goldrush »

For info:
If you are not aware, although .png images have advantages (no licence fee is payable for commercial use etc) many older browsers do not understand the "transparrent" data in ".png" images and thus diplay them as "normal", particularly it seems if you are using, as I am on for the "wind direction" on my "index" page, one transparrent image overlaid with another.
Maybe a retrospect technical step, but the answer is to convert them to transparent .gif images which can be read by both older, and newer browsers.
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Re: Overlaid transparent images

Post by beteljuice »

How old a browser are you talking about ?

The only problem I had with your page was the 20px ? drop on the overlay, which you have fixed.

Nice adaptation BTW ;)
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
goldrush
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1081

Post by goldrush »

Hi beteljuice
"Nice pages" all down to you<BG>
The 20px drop seems to have been due to me using "absolute" positioning for both images (I have NO idea how Java and all that technical stuff works!!) seems to have been "cured" by using "relative" positioning.
Even IExplorer 6 seems to have trouble when .png files are overlaid, but sorts out .gif files ok.

keep up the good work
TNETWeather

Post by TNETWeather »

goldrush wrote:Even IExplorer 6 seems to have trouble when .png files are overlaid, but sorts out .gif files ok.
IE6 is not considered a safe browser even by Microsoft now days. Users using it should upgrade.

BTW.. the issues with GIF licensing was resolved some time ago. That is why GD and other packages reinstated GIF as a format.
gumm

Post by gumm »

Hi guys,

I'm not a great fan of the GIF format for the reasons stated above, but mostly because it only has a 1 bit alpha channel. That means its transparency is either all-on, or all-off, and nothing in between. The result is usually a rather jagged-looking thing, as proper anti-aliasing is not possible.
For some reason IE used to be particularly poor at handling PNG files, but their later browsers are a standards compliant in this matter, so PNGs work well even in IE nowadays.

In my view, the GIF's 1-bit alpha channel can be considered a serious enough draw back by web-designers for the format to fall out of favour even more in future. Proper PNG support in IE will accelerate this... but I have been known to be wrong about my far future predictions before :)

my 2c

Regards
Gumm