Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Glovine Hosting Issues?

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

bigmac
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless
Operating System: Raspbian wheezy

Glovine Hosting Issues?

Post by bigmac »

Hi all,

Does anyone else have their weather site hosted by Glovine (as per link http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/Webspace in Wiki)?

I have been notified that they were making some DNS changes last week but that personal webspace should be unaffected.

However, my FTP connection from Cumulus has been very erratic since last Tuesday with frequent "FTP Connect Errors" suggesting issues contacting the website and I haven't been able to make any connection to their own website or my personal website at all today or at random times over the last week.

Anyone else having issues?
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Re: Glovine Hosting Issues?

Post by daj »

whats your FTP server name? I can try contacting it from here

(don't need your username/password, just the server name to see if it resolves ok)
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
bigmac

Post by bigmac »

Cheers daj, tried that myself (from another location) and get nothing but feel free to try ftp.menstonweather.freeglo.net
werribee_au
Weather Station: WH-1081 (Jaycar Digitech XC0348)
Operating System: XP SP3

Post by werribee_au »

I had the same issues, following is the response I got from tech support chat last evening. (12 hrs ago)

---------------------
Tech says:
There was an update to our DNS server that required the nameservers to re-resolve, however that was only in the past few hours and not everyone was effected. Was it only from particular locations or from multiple internet access points?
Gerard says:
There was this issue around 830pm last Friday and a couple of times today that I am aware of without going through my logs I don't know if there were more problems. If this is scheduled maintenance I didn't receive an email warning of it. Is it possible for an email to be sent regarding performing such maintenance that could cause issues prior to having it carried out?
Tech says:
Normally there are not issues or no maintenance that would cause disruption. All customers are normally emailed well in advanced, this was an unforeseen issue with where our DNS server is located and should not of effected our services in any way. In either case, ill add your email on my list to let you know if anything should arise.
----------------------
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Post by daj »

the ftp server resolves to 207.45.177.194

You could replace the ftp server name in Cumulus with this ip address above and try that.
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
captzero
Weather Station: Vantage Pro2 w/ daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by captzero »

I'm with glovine and I havent had any ftp problems recently. All has been running smoothly.
Dan

http://www.brisbaneliveweather.com

A man with a thermometer always knows the temperature. A man with two thermometers, not so sure.
werribee_au

Post by werribee_au »

captzero wrote:I'm with glovine and I havent had any ftp problems recently. All has been running smoothly.
The servers are in Brisbane, maybe that is the reason you've been ok....
bigmac

Post by bigmac »

hmmm, I sent an email last night outlining my issues. They responded this morning saying everything was fine their end but miraculously, it all seems fine now. Cumulus FTP logs show it all started working again around the same time as they responded to my email. Me thinks their DNS servers were all screwy.....

Thanks for your responses people.
WestOz
Weather Station: Oregon Scientific WMR88A
Operating System: Windows 10 (64bit)

Post by WestOz »

Yes, I've had a problem the last two evenings with "Website not found" Cumulus was FTPing without a problem. All appears OK now.

Ian
on the Indian Ocean coast of Western Australia (down the bottom left-hand corner of Oz)
apple8
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue

Post by apple8 »

I joined up with Glovine about 3 weeks ago and it has been down at least 3 times including now. I paid for hosting and expected better really. When my site goes down I cannot even connect to the Glovine site.
apple8
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue

Post by apple8 »

Glovine Support was very prompt in getting back and assured me that they have no outages for 6 months. They did note that my ISP Internode was having issues nationally so that may have been the problem.
captzero
Weather Station: Vantage Pro2 w/ daytime FARS

Post by captzero »

I'm with glovine and haven't had any problems in nearly 12 months. I have just started using Pingdom to monitor my website performance. It can send an email or sms if there is a problem and does error checks etc. I'm trying the free service. http://www.pingdom.com/
Dan

http://www.brisbaneliveweather.com

A man with a thermometer always knows the temperature. A man with two thermometers, not so sure.
bigmac

Post by bigmac »

I have had a few outages, most of them around the time they were playing around with their DNS servers back in July (see my original post in this thread). Since then, I think I've only had 1 or maybe 2 outages at most (that I've noticed - but i'm not constantly looking at it!). Having said that, I use the free version, so I ain't complaining! When I did contact them around the DNS issues time, they were prompt in their response and I don't know whether it was coincidental, but things improved quickly soon after. I believe most of the problems may have been to do with replication of the DNS IP's around the net as I think these can sometimes take a while to propergate.
werribee_au

Post by werribee_au »

I have had a number of dns issues mainly because my domain management was not with glovine, so any dns changes I had to manually make, but since I have transferred my domain management to glovine there has not been any issues as any dns changes are automatic.
Glo-Ryan
Weather Station: Cumulus
Operating System: Windows

Post by Glo-Ryan »

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd come over and let you guys know we're grateful for people using our services. As Werribee_AU said, if you do have any issues, contact us on Live Chat anytime and I'm sure we will be able to help you out.