Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Index htm

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

wd40
Weather Station: WS2080
Operating System: W7

Index htm

Post by wd40 »

I want to try my hand at some hopefully simple changes to the Cumulus standard web page. As an example I want to change out the solar webtag to <#LastRainTipISO>.

From my reading on wiki, I will make a copy of the index.htm file for safe keeping then modify the index file on my pc. I am a little foggy on what happens next.

Will the modified and saved index file be up loaded with the next web-update or do I transfer the file to the server by ftp?

Randy
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Re: Index htm

Post by daj »

wd40 wrote:From my reading on wiki, I will make a copy of the index.htm file for safe keeping then modify the index file on my pc.
You need to edit the 'T' files -- these are template files that Cumulus uses; it looks for webtags, replaces them with data and saves as a non-T file.

So edit indexT.htm; cumulus will process this every 10 minutes (or whatever your setting is) and save as index.htm
I am a little foggy on what happens next.

Will the modified and saved index file be up loaded with the next web-update or do I transfer the file to the server by ftp?
Yes, Cumulus will automatically upload the index.htm (and the others) as part of the "Standard Files" so no need to FTP anything
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
Synewave
Weather Station: Watson W-8681
Operating System: Raspian

Post by Synewave »

Only update the template files ending in T, i.e. indexT.htm. These files will automatically update on your website.

Whoops, sorry David, cross post!
wd40

Post by wd40 »

"T" files, got it. Cumulus will up load.

The wiki only said that five or six times and yet I posted about the plain index file. I can be a mess.

I will give it a go.

Randy
wd40

Post by wd40 »

i made the change and it worked then put it back. The first step was small but meaningful. Off to read up on html.

Randy
Synewave
Weather Station: Watson W-8681
Operating System: Raspian

Post by Synewave »

There'll be pleny of offers of help from forum members when you need/want it. Just make a backup of the file you want to change before you edit it. That way you can always revert a change if it has an adverse effect.

Also, have a good search in this forum if you have a question about how to change something in particular, a lot of questions have already been asked and clearly (hopefully) answered.

Good luck developing.
wd40

Post by wd40 »

Thank you Paul the guidance. I will indeed do a backup. This is one of those things I just want to see if I can do it for the adventure.

I want to see if I can add a frost prediction calculation using information supplied by the web tags. Probably way over my head but :bash: it want be the first time. :D

Got lots of reading to do.

Randy
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

wd40 wrote:I want to see if I can add a frost prediction calculation using information supplied by the web tags.
Randy you might want to do two things before you get involved into calculations:
- Check that your server allows PHP;
- Second, read (learn) about PHP... :mrgreen:

Just to be sure, I looked at the tags produced by Cumulus and I did not see anything about frost - how do you plan to calculate the frost prediction (such as using which parameters)?
daj
Operating System: Pi & MX

Post by daj »

gemini06720 wrote:Check that your server allows PHP
Randy, I can confirm -- your webserver allows PHP.

(I host his website ;-) )
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

daj wrote:Randy, I can confirm -- your webserver allows PHP.
David, are you really really sure? :mrgreen:

Changing the subject slightly... :shock:

It is 06:30, Saturday morning in Maple Bay, on the east coast of Vancouver Island, just off the west coast of British Columbia, Canada ... and it has been snowing non-stopped since Friday's dinner time ... I took a measurement a few minutes ago and there was about 20.5 cm (or 8 in) of snow ... and it is still snowing... :evil:

Environment Canada (the weather organization managed by the canadian government at great cost to the canadian population) had forecasted/predicted a few flurries, barely a 'dusting' of snow... :roll:

My WXSIM (interactive local atmospheric modeling software) had forecasted/predicted a few centimeters (10 to 12 cm) of snow ... but nothing close to the 20+ centimeters accumulation my area has already received ... and winter does not start for another month... :o

What was that thing I was reading about the climate warming up... :twisted:
silverview
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by silverview »

Ray, I'd like to arrange a weather trade. In Calgary we have about the same amount of snow, but our windchill is -29 C vs your -1.1. :shock: I think it's going to be a looooonnnng winter.

And now back to the original topic . . .
wd40

Post by wd40 »

gemini06720 wrote:
wd40 wrote:I want to see if I can add a frost prediction calculation using information supplied by the web tags.
Randy you might want to do two things before you get involved into calculations:
- Check that your server allows PHP;
- Second, read (learn) about PHP... :mrgreen:

Just to be sure, I looked at the tags produced by Cumulus and I did not see anything about frost - how do you plan to calculate the frost prediction (such as using which parameters)?
Rest assured I have no idea what I am doing but will give it a go even though it might be rough looking.

I got pulled off this project when a stray cat got struck by a car in front of the house. I thought he was dead but started to struggle to get up. After a trip to the vet we are now caring for a cat with a giant cast on his leg.

It is our Thanksgiving holiday as well and we have a lot of family coming for the week.

I will give it a go in about a week.

Randy
bingo99
Operating System: Win7

Post by bingo99 »

gemini06720 wrote:
daj wrote:Randy, I can confirm -- your webserver allows PHP.
David, are you really really sure? :mrgreen:

Changing the subject slightly... :shock:

It is 06:30, Saturday morning in Maple Bay, on the east coast of Vancouver Island, just off the west coast of British Columbia, Canada ... and it has been snowing non-stopped since Friday's dinner time ... I took a measurement a few minutes ago and there was about 20.5 cm (or 8 in) of snow ... and it is still snowing... :evil:

Environment Canada (the weather organization managed by the canadian government at great cost to the canadian population) had forecasted/predicted a few flurries, barely a 'dusting' of snow... :roll:

My WXSIM (interactive local atmospheric modeling software) had forecasted/predicted a few centimeters (10 to 12 cm) of snow ... but nothing close to the 20+ centimeters accumulation my area has already received ... and winter does not start for another month... :o

What was that thing I was reading about the climate warming up... :twisted:

That's why the politicians now refer to it as "Climate Change" rather than "Global Warming"

Because some "clever-dick" scientists said that some places would be colder as a result!