Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Website help please

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

pshe12
Weather Station: Easy Weather
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Website help please

Post by pshe12 »

Hi

I have an existing website (www.fernileaphotography.co.uk) and have added a page to display weather data.

I have uploaded all of the webfiles using Filezilla to a folder called weather in the public folder.

I have been looking through many of the topics and have tried different options for the directory eg /public_html/weather or public/weather or /weather without success. I did manage to upload data when I entered the directory as /public but unfortunately it took over my home page - but it least it shows that my PC is communicating with the server.

I'm sure the solution must be obvious but I would appreciate help

Thanks

Peter
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Website help please

Post by steve »

It looks like you have it working now?
Steve
pshe12

Post by pshe12 »

Hi Steve,

No it's not working. I just get a blank page on the weather page on my site.

Peter
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Ah - when I looked at it, here - http://www.fernileaphotography.co.uk/weather/ it looked OK. But it doesn't seem to have updated since 16:25. So it was working, but then stopped?
Steve
pshe12

Post by pshe12 »

I'm confused - each time I carry out a web update and then check online the page is blank. I can't understand how you are seeing anything.

I have now tried so many variations for the directory path I'm not sure which one works!

Could it be an issue between Google Chrome and IE8.

Peter
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

pshe12 wrote:Could it be an issue between Google Chrome and IE8.
Possibly. I'm using Firefox. Using the link I posted above, I see your site and it looks OK, apart from not having updated since 1625.
Steve
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Post by daj »

Peter,

Who is your hosting company -- I can maybe then search to find the right settings for you
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
pshe12

Post by pshe12 »

Thanks David and Steve.

I think I see where the problem is. The page within my website is www.fernileaphotography.co.uk/weather.htm which brings up a blank page. If I miss the htm extension then I get the data coming up.

I think I will just put a link on my website weather page to www.fernileaphotography.co.uk/weather as a quick fix.

Or could I change the directory path and add .htm to the end?

Thanks

Peter
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

If you want your link to be weather.htm, you'll have to actually create a weather.htm file, you can't just add it to the directory path. The way web servers work (apologies if you already know this) is that if you ask them for a directory (e.g. http://www.fernileaphotography.co.uk/weather) they have to try work out what file to give you. They have a list of default files that they look for, e.g. index.htm, default.htm etc, and if they find one, they give you it. That's why http://www.fernileaphotography.co.uk/weather actually gives you http://www.fernileaphotography.co.uk/weather/index.htm, i.e. the Cumulus default page.
Steve
pshe12

Post by pshe12 »

No apologies needed - I only have a very basic understanding of how websites work.

Would it be too much to ask how and where I would need to create a weather.htm file so that the info comes up directly on my website so that I can do away with the link I have created?

Thanks

Peter
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

It's not quite that simple ..

Do you want your weather (and subsequent) page to be in the same style as the rest of your site ?

Because unfortunately the template you are using in not 'big' enough in the content section for the Cumulus templates to fit.

In the short term, until you've played with html a bit more, it would probably be easier to to refer to the 'weather' directory (index.htm) and edit all your Cumulus xxxT.htm files (PC) to include links back to your 'ordinary' pages.

Until you understand what is going on, this will avoid conflct with page layouts and css style sheets etc.

There are many threads on homebrew and most contributors are happy to share their styles / code.

Welcome to the madhouse :)
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
pshe12

Post by pshe12 »

Okay - thanks everyone.

I will edit the aforementioned files when I have time.

Peter