Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Ordnance Survey Mapping & Cumulus

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

toadstone
Weather Station: Watson W-8681
Operating System: Mac OSX & Windows XP SP3

Ordnance Survey Mapping & Cumulus

Post by toadstone »

The limited success in setting up my weather site using the Cumulus php tags got me thinking about calling the data into the OS Open Space API. First attempts failed and all I succeeded in doing was to display the actual tags and not the data they should be displaying. With the help of a friend we have managed to call in the data to the marker on the OS map. The test page can be found here:
http://www.kap.toadstone.com/wx/php/oswxmap_1.php

The mapping is zoom-able and I'll be adding a mouse pointer/lat/long display.

I know this is very parochial but I've been using the Open Space API for a while now and the mapping is very good. Ultimately the idea is to be able to call other Cumulus's users php file (if it exists) and display the data on the OS map. On a global scale the Open Layers API (on which the Open Space API is based) could be used. For Windows/asp users, Ajax could be used I believe.

Don't expect great advances quickly, I'm learning and have a heavy work load at work but it keeps me out of the pub when I'm away on site :lol:

Peter.
nitrx
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Ordnance Survey Mapping & Cumulus

Post by nitrx »

Why not use maps.google you can embed limited html and is made in ten minutes http://www.apeldoorn.tk/weer/chart.htm unfortunally jscript is not availble in this section.
TNETWeather

Post by TNETWeather »

toadstone wrote:Ultimately the idea is to be able to call other Cumulus's users php file (if it exists) and display the data on the OS map.
The file to use for that would most likely be the realtime.txt file. That would contain all of the typical information you would want to know about a site in a small snippet of data. Parsing it should be trivial as it is a simple space delimited file.

I would recommend that you have a sign up program for that so that you have permission to access and redistribute the data from those sites before doing that however. That would solve a few issues such as where the file is located. Some of them are not in the website root where you would expect it. And two, you won't have someone wondering why a site is pulling their data all day long every day.

Assuming you get that far.
toadstone
Weather Station: Watson W-8681
Operating System: Mac OSX & Windows XP SP3

Post by toadstone »

Re: permissions etc, you are of course quite right Kevin. There may well be other issues too, like for instance Steve might not wish to have the software associated with the project etc etc. I'm satisfied that it can be done in part at least. I may well be asking for a few volunteers in the near future.

Peter.
skyewright
Weather Station: WMR200+928>RFXCOM>Meteohub

Post by skyewright »

toadstone wrote:Re: permissions etc, you are of course quite right Kevin. There may well be other issues too, like for instance Steve might not wish to have the software associated with the project etc etc. I'm satisfied that it can be done in part at least. I may well be asking for a few volunteers in the near future.
Have you come across the various "weather networks"? e.g. Scottish Weather Network and Irish Weather Network and UK Weather Network (the last of which currently has less stations than either of the other two!), and others all around the world.

That system behind that can handle data from various types of weather software, including Cumulus (if you take a look on the Scottish Weather Network map you'll steve's and daj's sites among others).

You may well want to do something else, but it's maybe good to know what's already out there... :)
Regards
David