Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Website Upload with Pre-Shared Key (SSH/SFTP)

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

NFLD.Republic
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Cumulus MX on Ubuntu 18.04

Website Upload with Pre-Shared Key (SSH/SFTP)

Post by NFLD.Republic »

Hi Folks - I'm using Cumulus MX 3.6.2 b3078 running on Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS. My external website resides on a hosted server runnig Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS. I have the webserver host only accepting ssh with pre-shared key. My problem is that the web data does not get uploaded by Cumulus MX. The strange thing is that the run external program option runs the script (also using PSK) to upload the web camera picture reliably.

I can go into the account that the Cumulus MX runs (I've tried both as root and as actual account) and the actual account (wxstation is the account, which exists both on the Cumulus MX server and the hosted website). The weather pciture upload script works with PSK SCP (SFTP) both manually and within Cumulus MX. I'm stumped here.

Maybe there needs to be an option in the Cumulus MX web page configuration to put the PSK key in? It looks like using the account running Cumulus MX ssh keys (e.g., from .ssh on Linux) doesn't work...
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: Website Upload with Pre-Shared Key (SSH/SFTP)

Post by freddie »

I believe that Cumulus MX only does SFTP with username and password. It uses its own SSH utility to do this, so doesn't use your system SSH (which is what reads key data from the .ssh folder).
Freddie
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Correct, SFTP currently only supports username/password as I wanted to get it out there and being used to prove it worked reliably. PSK is an option I can use, so now SSH has proved to reliable, PSK can go on the to-do list. I doubt it will recognise user keys though, you would have to supply a file.
NFLD.Republic
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Cumulus MX on Ubuntu 18.04

Post by NFLD.Republic »

That makes sense. Other solutions that I use (e.g., FreeNAS/TrueNAS, UniFi) you either upload a file or cut-and-paste the key into a text box.

I'll go back to uploading the files as part of a script as I was doing with Cumulux 1.x until the feature gets added.