Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX release v3.4.6 (build 3070) - 23 March 2020
Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014

See the Wiki for downloading either version.

Cumulusutils

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2+ w/Envoy USB
Operating System: Windows-8

Re: Cumulusutils

Post by PaulMy » Fri 13 Mar 2020 4:23 pm

v.242 installed and graphs all looks good http://www.komokawezther.com/komokaweat ... Graphs.php

Thanks Hans,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro 2 - Windows 8 - Cumulus v1.9.4 b.1099 - CumulusMX/WiFiLogger
www.komokaweather.com
www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx
www.komokaweather.ca
www.komokaweather.com/pws

HansR
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2+
Operating System: Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (Buster)

Post by HansR » Fri 13 Mar 2020 4:54 pm

OK. Thanks for testing and the confirmation Paul :clap:
https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl / Cumulus (3.4.3 b3067)
Davis Vantage Pro 2+ / Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus Rev 1.3
Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) / 4.19.97-v7+ armv7l
Mono JIT compiler version 6.8.0.105 (tarball Tue Feb 4 21:51:48 UTC 2020)

PaulMy

Post by PaulMy » Fri 13 Mar 2020 6:51 pm

Your welcome Hans,
but now on to a new issue for me...

Up to now I was running CumulusMX and cumulusutils on my Windows 8 PC and all has been good

Finally started to move things over from the old Windows 8 to the new Windows 10 PC.
CumulusMX install was quite easy and all seems to be working on the new Windows 10 PC http://www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx

I then moved all the cumulusutils files from the previous CumulusMX to the new CumulusMX but running \cumulusutils.exe All (or any of the specific modules) from the command prompt does not seem to work. Immediately after pressing <Enter> the DOS prompt goes back to the set C:\KomokaWeather folder
There is nothing written in the \CumulusMX folder where cumulusutils.exe resides.
The path C:\KomokaWeather\CumulusMX\cumulusutils.exe is correct.

Any suggestions where to start?
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.komokaweather.com
www.komokaweather.ca

HansR

Post by HansR » Fri 13 Mar 2020 8:15 pm

Hi Paul,

Progress :!: ;)

From the info you give, I would say that you are running CumulusUtils from

Code: Select all

C:\KomokaWeather
and not from the CumulusMX directory

C:\KomokaWeather\CumulusMX
It must run from there, because it makes no assumption about where to find Cumulus other than the current directory (and the subs for data and the output). Therefore it cannot find the datafile, nor the cumulus.ini.

Nevertheless, it must create a logfile in the directory where it starts. If running it from the actual CumulusMX directory does not solve the problem, could you attach the log file?

Let me know how you get along.
Hans

BTW: is that the new template from BCJkiwi you are using?

PaulMy

Post by PaulMy » Fri 13 Mar 2020 9:36 pm

Hi Hans, and thanks for reply as sometimes one just needs to step back and relook at things.

In the past with Windows 8 to test after a new cumulusutils install I often used the manually Start Run option and enter the full path to the cumulusutils.exe All command and that worked (daily use the CumulusMX External Programs at end of day).
With Windows 10 I don't have the same Start Run option so used the CMD screen and there set the current directory to C:\KomokaWeather and then added \CumulusMX\cumulusutils.exe All which did not work nor create any log file.

After your post I then got a bright idea to use CumulusMX External Programs and set to the 5-min interval and that works. So it was a path issue in the CMD screen.

Initially I had changed the path in the CMD screen from the default C:\Users to C:\KomokaWeather and then added the CumulusMX\cumulusutils.exe All but that was actually C:\KomokaWeather>CumulusMX\cumulusutils.exe All. Now have gone back to the CMD screen and changed the directory to C:\KomokaWeather\CumulusMX> and then added cumulusutils.exe All and that works as well, so all is good. Thank you again.

On the template, Brian has been so kind to share (and have me test in my CumulusMX site) his template over the past months. Mine is not the latest version as he has continued to work on it for both Cumulus 1 and MX.

Enjoy,
Paul
www.komokaweather.com
www.komokaweather.ca

beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: ex XP SP3 - now W10 laptop grr

Post by beteljuice » Fri 13 Mar 2020 10:00 pm

@Paul ...
Now have gone back to the CMD screen and changed the directory to C:\KomokaWeather\CumulusMX> and then added cumulusutils.exe All and that works as well,
Ye Olde .bat files still work you know ... then create a link to your desktop ;)
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !

sjmcinness
Weather Station: Davis VP2+
Operating System: Windows 10 x64

Post by sjmcinness » Sat 14 Mar 2020 1:43 am

HansR wrote:
Thu 12 Mar 2020 8:05 am
Version 2.4.0 is online

Many big changes though it looks small. Notably the interface change (as requested by Scott for buttons in the yadr module) has been applied over all modules which could use the change. Furthermore, I removed the Climate module (that was short lived :? ) and integrated it with the Graphs module with the possibility to switch on/off graphs.
Thanks Hans, much appreciated; the buttons are great and make it a snap to change between years 8-) I think the Climate --> Graphs integration and the change to a logarithmic scale on the rain statistics graph are good moves, too.
PaulMy wrote:
Fri 13 Mar 2020 9:36 pm
In the past with Windows 8 to test after a new cumulusutils install I often used the manually Start Run option and enter the full path to the cumulusutils.exe All command and that worked (daily use the CumulusMX External Programs at end of day).
With Windows 10 I don't have the same Start Run option so used the CMD screen
"Windows key + R" will bring up the old "Run" dialogue, which is also available by right-clicking on the Start button, along with a number of other useful options - in fact, it's probably one of the most useful menus in Windows 8+.
Alternatively you can create a shortcut for Command Prompt on the desktop or somewhere which, if you right-click and bring up properties, you can set the "Start in" location to be the directory you wish to open it in.

PaulMy

Post by PaulMy » Sat 14 Mar 2020 2:52 am

Thank you,
A lot still to learn on Windows 10, even if in hindsight seems obvious :oops:

Enjoy,
Paul
www.komokaweather.com
www.komokaweather.ca

HansR

Post by HansR » Sat 14 Mar 2020 1:43 pm

@PaulMy: I took the liberty of taking your most recent dayfile.txt from the new site (http://www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx). It shows a serious problem in the setup of your new environment:

12/03/20,21.4,360,20:51,1.9,10:31,8.2,16:41,1002.17,23:57,1016.73,00:00,0.0,00:00,0.0,6.0,52.4,8.6,20:55,56,15:51,67,22:48,1.91,0.3,8.2,16:41,5.9,16:41,-1.0,10:32,0.0,00:00,1.7,00:00,0.5,21:06,-4.0,10:32,360,6.9,0.0,427,15:50,1.7,14:48
13-03-20,62.1,360,06:10,0.2,23:04,8.7,04:57,998.75,04:04,1024.52,23:58,7.4,01:03,3.0,5.1,246.3,21.4,06:07,34,14:47,73,03:14,2.16,2.4,8.7,04:57,6.0,04:12,-3.6,23:24,1.6,03:30,-1.7,23:24,4.1,04:57,-8.2,13:57,360,12.8,0.0,877,12:59,3.4,12:59
If you look at the first field, which is the date field, you note that the format is different. I don't know how other utilities handle the dayfile, but CumulusUtils determines a date format (and the separators - points and comma's in your case) and expects it to be constant.

As a result, you can't use CumulusUtils on your new file because a fatal error is detected. My advice would be to stick to the old format so you can still access your old data series.

PaulMy

Post by PaulMy » Sat 14 Mar 2020 2:37 pm

Again thank you Hans, I should have remembered to check/change the date format on new Windows10 PC but in my haste I forgot that yesterday.

I have changed the short date format in Windows10 to dd/mm/yy, replaced new \data folder with yesterday's backup and restarted CumulusMX, rerun cumulusutils.exe All and now seems correct.

While this is off topic for cumulusutils, anything else obvious I should check on new Windows10 before I get in more trouble?

Enjoy,
Paul
www.komokaweather.com
www.komokaweather.ca

sfws
Weather Station: Modified Fine Offset
Operating System: Win. 10 PC

Post by sfws » Sat 14 Mar 2020 3:36 pm

HansR wrote:
Sat 14 Mar 2020 1:43 pm
I don't know how other utilities handle the dayfile
Answer, any utilities I have written (in either JavaScript or PHP) will look at the dayfile.txt line and take separators, from what the first line uses, like you. It is so long since I last posted any of my scripts on this forum, I can't even remember how many I have posted.

My PHP utilities also strip characters from end of line ($buffer = rtrim($bufferRead, '\r\n\t\x0B');), because (although it may have changed with latest PHP) the PHP file reading utilities don't adjust what they consider to denote end of a line.
I did also add a check for BOM ($utf8bom = "\\xEF\\xBB\\xBF"; // Hexadecimal (3 characters) %EF%BB%BF) when reading first line on my own scripts, after a few times I (and others) had edited the file with Microsoft utilities these like Google ones, (until just a few years ago) used to always add a BOM as prefix for first line. That messes up reading the date on the first line as it moves away from start of line.
HansR wrote:
Sat 14 Mar 2020 1:43 pm
I don't know how other utilities handle the dayfile
As far as I know, all other authors expect the user to tell their script what separator to use and are written with defaults that might need manually changing.
HansR wrote:
Thu 12 Mar 2020 8:05 am
I am not sure yet which coding road I take first, first a small spring break and outdoor excursion.
I did post (years ago) both a JavaScript and a PHP script that read dayfile to generate the derived figures for one year ago, if when you have had a break enjoying good weather, you are still looking for ideas for your utilities set, that might be of interest to you. There is an article on Wiki https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Daily_Summary ... le_Scripts that lists all the different routines people wrote related to the daily summary file, your utility need to be added to it sometime.

Showing a whole week
I'm unsure whether I ever posted another script here (I have mentioned it before), I have for over a decade had a web page that is a bit like combining most of the Cumulus web pages, but mine shows a whole week (not just today and yesterday), plus this month, this year and all-time:
complete_weather.PNG
It originally was written with web tags and JavaScript. It still uses web tags, but now uses PHP to read past days off a MYSQL table. I added the row at the bottom just this morning, because my end of day update had failed 2 days running and I wanted the web page to help me spot that in an nonintrusive way. (The updates were made up to date before the screenshot was taken). There are other tables on my same private (not online) web page, hidden by default, that show more derived values, including several that do not have web tags.
PaulMy wrote:
Sat 14 Mar 2020 2:37 pm
anything else obvious I should check on new Windows10 before I get in more trouble?
I expect if you search this forum, there are loads of postings related to people moving to Windows 10 and having trouble, basically because Microsoft set some defaults differently, but I guess you are past the trouble stage now, given you have sorted what you have found so far.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansR

Post by HansR » Mon 16 Mar 2020 11:45 am

PaulMy wrote:
Sat 14 Mar 2020 2:37 pm
Again thank you Hans, I should have remembered to check/change the date format on new Windows10 PC but in my haste I forgot that yesterday.

I have changed the short date format in Windows10 to dd/mm/yy, replaced new \data folder with yesterday's backup and restarted CumulusMX, rerun cumulusutils.exe All and now seems correct.

While this is off topic for cumulusutils, anything else obvious I should check on new Windows10 before I get in more trouble?
OK Paul, I don't use Win10 for Cumulus so I don't have really much advice there.
But I think you're past the danger zone now ;)
sfws wrote:
Sat 14 Mar 2020 3:36 pm
... long informative post ... ;)
Thanks for the info and the links @sfws.

I guess I am already some steps further and most importantly: I don't use PHP nor SQL. Purposely because I dislike the design of bringing data from the primary output of Cumulus to an SQL database, moving it to a website and there uses PHP to extract and manipulate data. I have the utmost respect for programmers who can see the forest through the trees in that combination of code and data, but I chose another way.

I wrote my selection and data manipulation in C# to work directly beside CumulusMX and transfer chucks of HTML as text files to the website. The website manager to choose what he wants and how he includes it in the website template. In short: I take away the coding from the website and the users will have only one executable to accomplish everything. Configuration is done through an ini file, translations are through the ini-file, for the rest I use localisations.

With respect to the dayfile: I determine the date and separators, analyse it and create a list of data for all entries in the file, from there I do all the work. I can handle all dayfile formats which exist although I have only three implemented and tested. So if somebody encounters a deviation he gets the message to inform the programmer ;) . I don't give users a choice to change units, I simply use units they chose at configuration of Cumulus. There is only one exception: pwsFWI, but that comes from the equations I use there.

HansR

Post by HansR » Mon 16 Mar 2020 11:53 am

Release 2.4.5 is online.

Basically added work on the reference line in monthly temperature and rain graphs. These graphs now contain comprehensive info.
Read the README (graphs chapter). My advice would be to use Both and get serious numbers from your Meteo organisation for Normal.

I have the following question: do you think a separate String.ini file would be useful (for the translations)?

pernaczy
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH 2080, TFA Spring
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by pernaczy » Mon 16 Mar 2020 2:11 pm

HansR wrote:
Mon 16 Mar 2020 11:53 am
Release 2.4.5 is online.

I have the following question: do you think a separate String.ini file would be useful (for the translations)?
No. It's just my opinion.
Piotr
The day when I have learned something is not the lost one.

PaulMy

Post by PaulMy » Mon 16 Mar 2020 2:29 pm

I don't use translation so that would not be a priority for me.

Enjoy,
Paul
www.komokaweather.com
www.komokaweather.ca