Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WXSIM / Cumulus Toolbox

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

WXSIM / Cumulus Toolbox

Post by Mapantz »

Now that I have WXSIM up and running, I have a slight issue with uploading the two files it produces for me.

WXSIM creates two text files, one is around 3KB and the other is around 90KB. It produces new ones at an interval I set of 6 hours - 4 times a day.

The problem I have is uploading them. I've got CumulusMX uploading the 3KB one, but it is doing so every 15 minutes (not a problem as it's small) The other text file caused my upload speed to drop dramatically meaning some of the pages that CumulusMX processes and uploads, fail. This happens at my 15 minute interval..

I cannot find any software that can schedule FTP uploads not software that is free (not paying hundreds of £££) I suddenly remembered Cumulus Toolbox... however, it freezes as soon as I try to set it up. In fact, it crashed my PC twice. I haven't had a single app/program crash my PC since having Windows 10, so it's unusual.

I've completely run out of ideas for scheduled uploading.. I find it hard to believe in this day & age that there is no free software available to upload a file at set intervals four times a day without paying a huge amount of money. :(
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: WXSIM / Cumulus Toolbox

Post by freddie »

Can you not use Task Scheduler, and get it to run a batch script that FTPs your files? It sounds straightforward to me, but I haven't used Task Scheduler since Windows 95 so don't know if this is something you can do or not.
Freddie
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

As above you could use the Task Scheduler to run at set times. That will be pretty straightforward.

Another alternative (if you are using NTFS file system) is to create a file system monitor that triggers when the file is updated. I have used this in the past for backup critical files when they changed. Whilts more complex to set up (and remember what you have done in the future, as there is nothing "visible"!), it does have the advantage of only FTPing the file when it actually changes - so if you stop wxsim the FTPs stop too.

Example here: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/s ... e-dfd7084b
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

Just an update! A friend of mine bought several licenses for CuteFTP which he uses for his business. He gave me an unused one which I could use on the Professional version. Scheduled updates are nice and easy to do on it, so got that all working now. Phew! :)
BeaumarisWX
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus - 24hr FARS
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Hades Canyon

Post by BeaumarisWX »

Hi Mapantz,
All you needed to do was utilise the wxsim Start/Auto Run and other Settings/Run optional DOS batch file

Just modify to upload any files after each run.
wxsim.PNG
My examples attached:

regards,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tony Beaumaris, Tasmania (AUS)

CMX Mobile : https://beaumaris-weather.com/BWX/
CMX Default: https://beaumaris-weather.com/cumulusmx_default/
Colour Dashboard : https://beaumaris-weather.com/dashborad_color.php
Click below for Saratoga Template :
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

haha - damn! I missed that box..

Thanks for pointing it out and posting the bat files.

I've just purchased a mini-PC to use as my weather/timelapse/wxsim etc base. The PC I built and have all of it on is is just on tick over when doing all of the processing. However, as I'm always tinkering/rebooting/installing software/hardware etc, it causes downtime for my weather stuff.

I needed a separate place for everything to sit on where I don't need to worry about it once it is set up. I'll just add a remote access app if I need to get in to it, Although I can plug it directly in to a monitor..

I'll use those bat files and wxsim's launch of it when I get the mini-PC all set up.

I just need a fibre optic internet connection now.. sadly, it looks as though my town is never going to get it. :cry:
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

Got my new mini-PC set up!

It has zero bloatware and I disabled pretty much everything I don't need running to ensure it runs smooth. I did install Teamviewer so I can access it anywhere at any time - ie for restarting Cumulus MX etc..

WXSIM running perfectly fine, and the .bat runs and files upload!

Thanks Tony & co. Happy new year! :)
jdc
Weather Station: Davis VP2 : Instromet
Operating System: Win 10

Post by jdc »

Glad you are sorted, but a belated suggestion.
https://www.solarwinds.com/free-tools/f ... or-windows
I use it successfully on several domains.