Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Show All High Charts Instead Of A Selection

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Show All High Charts Instead Of A Selection

Post by mcrossley »

Grimers wrote:Sorry, but obviously I don't agree with this otherwise I wouldn't of implemented it, I'm not sure how a refresh once a minute results in a "horrible user experience". I can understand if it's several times a minute but not once a minute. I thank you for your advice but it is my website so I'd like to keep it as is.

Oh, and just to add, the users that visit my website have no problem with this implementation and actually think it's a good idea. :)
No problem William, as you say it is your site to do as you wish, I was just offering my opinion, which is worth everything you paid for it :lol:
Grimers
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 64-bit

Post by Grimers »

Sure, and as you know, I feel your opinions are well worth considering.
duke

Post by duke »

Grimers wrote:Sorry, but obviously I don't agree with this otherwise I wouldn't of implemented it, I'm not sure how a refresh once a minute results in a "horrible user experience". I can understand if it's several times a minute but not once a minute. I thank you for your advice but it is my website so I'd like to keep it as is.

Oh, and just to add, the users that visit my website have no problem with this implementation and actually think it's a good idea. :)
I would be shocked if EVERY visitor to your site has left you feedback stating that they think this is a good idea.

I would also be interested in how you optimised your site for all devices and how many devices you tested? Not operating systems - devices?

http://www.responsinator.com/?url=http% ... trends.htm
Grimers

Post by Grimers »

I've tested on both Windows and iOS devices. :)
Mapantz
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

It's not optimised for mobile devices though. All that it does, is shrink the site, but text is miniscule so you have to pinch and zoom to read anything. As I mentioned before, I cannot scroll on the trends page as the graphs take up the whole width and focus, so there's no free space to scroll. I would consider using iCumulus, and setting up an m. domain on your current one, it should allow you to do it in your cpanel, then direct users to it that use mobile devices. It is quite easy to setup.
BigOkie
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: Raspian Buster (RPi 3b)

Post by BigOkie »

Mapantz wrote:It's not optimised for mobile devices though. All that it does, is shrink the site, but text is miniscule so you have to pinch and zoom to read anything. As I mentioned before, I cannot scroll on the trends page as the graphs take up the whole width and focus, so there's no free space to scroll. I would consider using iCumulus, and setting up an m. domain on your current one, it should allow you to do it in your cpanel, then direct users to it that use mobile devices. It is quite easy to setup.
This is why I love MX now...I know..not the forum for it...but Steve has incorporated into the interface bootstrap which is absolutely mobile friendly. It's not easy, but in the long run looks much better on vertical devices. Responsive websites will be the way to go in the future. The company I work at now is currently migrating all the site in which we own and maintain to bootstrap responsive.
Grimers

Post by Grimers »

I am confused, because it works fine on my iPhone 6.
BigOkie
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: Raspian Buster (RPi 3b)

Post by BigOkie »

Grimers wrote:I am confused, because it works fine on my iPhone 6.
Sure it works fine on it. But it looks awful (small font, as was alluded to). What was being alluded to is that it is not optimized for mobile viewing. It's not being said you can't see it. A poor user experience on a mobile site will likely keep a person away from that site in the future.
duke

Post by duke »

Also, testing on two devices does not equal testing.

Device / Op system / browser it's an endless list......
Grimers

Post by Grimers »

When did I say two devices? I have tested the website on every browser on Windows and also on Safari and Chrome for iOS. The font is not small whatsoever and the graphs fit perfectly on my iPhone 6. Please can you screenshot the issue?
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

https://postimg.org/image/krzq18r3t/
https://postimg.org/image/5l5osrdw1/

As i've already said, I cannot scroll on the graphs page, as there's no scrollbar, and nowhere to put your finger on the screen because the graphs take the focus of the page. You need a gap either side of the graph for the user to be able to scroll.

Testing on every browser doesn't make it optimised for mobile devices, you need to cater for screen size, and that is pretty much impossible to do for 100% of devices.
The pages are just shrunken down to fit the screen size, which means the text is also shrunken to the point that you have to zoom. A mobile optimised site will have the text size correct too.

Mark's is a perfect example:

https://postimg.org/image/nvjsczrsd/
Grimers

Post by Grimers »

Yes, that's exactly what I can see, but you are able to scroll, I'm able to very easily...

Sorry, but that's how I wish to have the website, I don't see what all the fuss is about as when I and other people I know personally use it, they don't have a problem.

But, I do understand your point, but all I'm saying is what I know...
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

Grimers wrote:Yes, that's exactly what I can see, but you are able to scroll, I'm able to very easily...

Sorry, but that's how I wish to have the website, I don't see what all the fuss is about as when I and other people use it, they don't have a problem.
No, you might be able to scroll, but that doesn't mean others are able to, and i'm one of them. Now, how many people do you think that use Android on a 5.5" screen? They'll all have the same issue.

The problem is, you dismiss what other people are telling you. Your site is not optimised for mobile, not everyone is using an iPhone 6.

Here's another example, mine this time:

Not optimised, just using a viewport in the meta, to shrink the site down:

https://postimg.org/image/ypczdu44j/

This is optimised for mobile device:

https://postimg.org/image/refj8dc1r/
Grimers

Post by Grimers »

Understood.

I am listening to everyone's opinion on here, and I have changed the following code to the weatherstyle.css file from:

Code: Select all

#content {
   width: 965px;
   margin: auto;
}
To:

#content {
   width: 965px;
   margin: auto;
   padding-left: 10px;
   padding-right: 10px;
}
That should now hopefully solve the issue.

I am looking at the website now on my iPhone 6 now and yes I admit the text is small.
Last edited by Grimers on Sat 08 Oct 2016 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

Grimers wrote:Understood.

I am listening to everyone's opinion on here, and I have changed added the following code to the weatherstyle.css file:

padding-left: 10px;

padding-right: 10px;
That should now hopefully solve the issue.

I am looking at the website now on my iPhone 6 now and yes I admit the text is small.
Sorry to have taken this off-topic, but folks are only trying to help out and point you in the right direction to overcoming these little niggles. Catering for all mobile devices is notorious for being a pain in the pantz!

I would seriously recommend using iCumulus though, nice and easy to setup, and it's quick at loading. I use mine all the time when i'm out & about, saves data, no need to pinch & zoom- makes life a little bit easier when you're wanting to look at your data quickly. :)