Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Careful now, XML is bigger than you think!

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Careful now, XML is bigger than you think!

Post by daj »

I was examining my bandwidth usage for my weather website this morning and got a bit of a surprise. I had uploaded 5Gb of data to it in the last 15 days. How can that be I ask myself?!

Further investigation reveals the culprit. In playing around with XML formats, I had inadvertently told Cumulus to process the XML template in realtime, every 15 seconds. So let's do the maths....

86,400 seconds in a day. I upload every 15 seconds, so that it 5760 uploads per day. The XML file is 56Kb which equals roughly 315Mb per day. After 15 days that is 4.7Gb :o

Compare that to the realtime.txt file....222bytes * 5760 = 1.2 Mb per day, 18Mb in 15 days :D

The moral of the story, watch what you upload in realtime!!!!
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Careful now, XML is bigger than you think!

Post by steve »

Indeed - even just uploading realtime.txt once every 5 seconds is over 100MB per month, which exceeds the bandwidth limit on some web hosting - if such limited accounts still exist? It also may eat a good chunk of the allowance on your broadband account.

On a related note, there has apparently been a comment/complaint that Cumulus causes huge ftp logs on web servers!
Steve
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Post by daj »

steve wrote:On a related note, there has apparently been a comment/complaint that Cumulus causes huge ftp logs on web servers!
How dare someone complain of the beloved Cumulus....details please and I will visit them in the wee small hours :evil: ;)

But, yes the webserver log file does grow quickly as it logs your 15 (or 5) second uploads
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

daj wrote:But, yes the webserver log file does grow quickly as it logs your 15 (or 5) second uploads
My web hosting doesn't seem to log ftp, maybe there's an option to turn it on. I know it doesn't log http, unless you turn it on. Then what you find is that people start visiting your web site, of all things, and the logs start increasing in size! That's the trouble with logs; you do something, and they log it! What's that all about? :lol:
Steve
risiss
Weather Station: Thermor 265nc

Post by risiss »

wow thats a lot,never did the maths but...

thats why im using my own server with url redirection ;)