Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Hosting by David Jamieson ending - new webhost required

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Hosting by David Jamieson ending - new webhost required

Post by steve »

I'll see if I can set something up as a 'trial' and we can see how it goes, mainly for the six who are still with David, to begin with at least. And perhaps you could be the guinea pig, Ray? I'll be in touch when I've set up an account for you.
Steve
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

Thanks Steve. Don't mind being a guinea pig as long as I don't lose any data. I'm sure you'll look after me. :D

I guess you'll want all my existing data. PM me for the login details when required.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Hmm, that sounds worrying. What data do you have that could be lost, i.e. couldn't just be re-uploaded from your PC? I was kind of thinking I would just set up some empty web space and leave you to it ;)
Steve
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

If you create an account for me to upload my current data what about all the historic stuff? Doesn't that need transferring too?

As Cumulus can only upload to one destination as soon as I start uploading to you I stop to my current account with David.

I wouldn't know how to setup my account with you. What is involved? Just creating folders and dragging and dropping files using FileZilla?

Is this a test only or a permanent move?
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I don't know what the historic stuff is, because I don't have any historic stuff on my web site. Well, apart from the NOAA files.

But: I've done some research, and I probably can copy your existing web site in its entirety using wget from my server. So it's probably not an issue.

One important point: I'm not running DNS, so at the point you transfer, you will need to move your nameservers back to your registrar and edit the DNS records. I see that you use 123-reg, which is good, because I do too so I know that it's possible as I've done it for the one domain which is currently hosted on the server. It's this one, if you want check out the speed etc (while viewing some of Mrs L's photos): http://bethloft.co.uk/

The server is in the Netherlands.

It's both a test and permanent, i.e. if it works out OK and we're both happy with it, it can be permanent.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Something else I should make clear: I'm not proposing to offer email for the domain.
Steve
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

steve wrote:I don't know what the historic stuff is, because I don't have any historic stuff on my web site. Well, apart from the NOAA files.
I didn't phrase that very well. I thought a lot of what was on my PC would end up on the server. of course it doesn't. Just the NOAA, like you say.
But: I've done some research, and I probably can copy your existing web site in its entirety using wget from my server. So it's probably not an issue.
Good. :)
One important point: I'm not running DNS, so at the point you transfer, you will need to move your nameservers back to your registrar and edit the DNS records. I see that you use 123-reg, which is good, because I do too so I know that it's possible as I've done it for the one domain which is currently hosted on the server. It's this one, if you want check out the speed etc (while viewing some of Mrs L's photos): http://bethloft.co.uk/
Sorry Steve, that's gone right over my head. :oops: Checked your wife's photos and the speed is great. Photos are too. :)
The server is in the Netherlands.
Okay, thanks.
It's both a test and permanent, i.e. if it works out OK and we're both happy with it, it can be permanent.
Okey dokey. I've been busy on other things today and will be tomorrow. Assuming you want the weekend off can we pick this up on Monday?

I won't need email support. Any embedded links to my email will open an instance of the user's email software and put my private email in the To line. I assume that's okay.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

bruce45
Weather Station: wh1081
Operating System: windows 10

Post by bruce45 »

I have been following the donation part of this topic with interest. The donation question has also been mentioned in other posts. Ray's point about flagging members which have donated sounds like a good idea. could this be done under the members ranking?

I noticed sometime ago that Steve was saying there was about 50 downloads per day. So could there not be 2 versions of cumulus a supported version for donators and an unsupported version for non donators. maybe some form of watermark across the display which can be removed with a code given by Steve after payment is received.

I use rosstech to read vag codes on cars and after paying for it a file is emailed that you put into the folder which then unlocks the program.

Only my thoughts and hopefully those who have not yet donated might just think about what great software they are using and make that donation.

bruce
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

bruce45 wrote: So could there not be 2 versions of cumulus a supported version for donators and an unsupported version for non donators.
I don't propose to change the way the current version of Cumulus (and support) is offered for now, but I'm considering something along those lines for the new version that I'm writing - if I ever get it finished.
Steve
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Hi all,

With his help my weather station is now being hosted by Steve. Very smooth transition. A very big public thank you to you Steve for helping out. :clap: I will be making a contribution very shortly.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Post by daj »

Excellent. Thanks Steve.
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
M1DUL
Weather Station: Vantage Pro2 Plus Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro Version

Post by M1DUL »

Hi all,

With his help my weather station is now being hosted by Steve. Very smooth transition. A very big public thank you to you Steve for helping out. I will be making a contribution very shortly.

Sorry Ray for copying your message but it was what I wanted to say as well I hope it is alright?
Mike

Weather Station : Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus Daytime Far's
Cumulus MX v.3.28.6 build 3283
https://branksomeweather.co.uk/index.htm
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

M1DUL wrote:Sorry Ray for copying your message but it was what I wanted to say as well I hope it is alright?
No problem Michael. Any particular reason your site has a cookie on it?
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

duke

Post by duke »

RayProudfoot wrote:No problem Michael. Any particular reason your site has a cookie on it?
Ray, if you click on his link it's explained. Basic visitor stats etc, much the same as your flag counter cookie.
M1DUL
Weather Station: Vantage Pro2 Plus Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro Version

Post by M1DUL »

RayProudfoot wrote:
M1DUL wrote:Sorry Ray for copying your message but it was what I wanted to say as well I hope it is alright?
No problem Michael. Any particular reason your site has a cookie on it?
Hi Ray,
It is because I have a flag counter and Cluster Maps and also Google Analytics on my website.
Mike

Weather Station : Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus Daytime Far's
Cumulus MX v.3.28.6 build 3283
https://branksomeweather.co.uk/index.htm