Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Vidahost

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

john09cw
Weather Station: Maplin N96GY
Operating System: Raspberry Pi/Windows 11

Vidahost

Post by john09cw »

I've done a search on the forum and i see that a few of you are using Vidahost for your hosting, was just wondering which package is suitable for a basic weather site, obviously the £29/pa package would be enough, but what about the £17/pa with its 5gb transfer cap?

Thanks for any response.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Re: Vidahost

Post by water01 »

That depends how heavy your FTP load is going to be, i.e. just standard pages and trend images or like me additional webtags and files for SQL update as well as my realtime graph and the SteelSeries gauges!!

If you do that lot I average about 6.5 - 8.5GB per month depending on my email traffic which can be quite heavy as well. Therefore I went for £29 package but if you buy 2 years you get 3 years for that price so it is £58 or £19.34 per year (£69.6 inc VAT or £23.20 per year) not much different from the starter package. The Basic gives you 25GB per month, plenty of headroom and no restrictions.
David
john09cw

Post by john09cw »

Thanks David, You would recommend Vidahost?
water01

Post by water01 »

Yes I would, UK based support and very responsive and knowledgeable, and live up to their SLA of 99.99% uptime.
David
duke

Post by duke »

Sorry, going to throw another name in the arena for you Host Papa.

Been with them for about 5 years. Never had a problem (and they allow 'cron jobs').
john09cw

Post by john09cw »

Thanks duke, I'll have a look at them, although i dont know what a cron job is. :?
water01

Post by water01 »

Vidahost allows cron jobs as well, they are jobs run by the Linux (Unix) Operating system at set times of day week or month, if you want regular jobs carried out on the server end i.e. to run a .php job to populate a MySQL database.
David
duke

Post by duke »

Well I would have assumed so too, but, according to their package specification, they are not available in the basic and starter package.

You may well not know cron jobs ar at the moment or even have a need for them, but, you may well do soon when the 'bug' really bites ;) .