Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Yet Another Dayfile Reader (PHP)

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

92merc
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro

Re: Yet Another Dayfile Reader (PHP)

Post by 92merc »

I went and moved all of your files to the root. I added those parts to the to the Saratoga file I missed. Only thing is it isn't showing buttons. And clicking on the text doesn't change the data.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

92merc wrote:I went and moved all of your files to the root. I added those parts to the to the Saratoga file I missed. Only thing is it isn't showing buttons. And clicking on the text doesn't change the data.
You still haven't included a suitable css file in your 'holding page'.
eg.

Code: Select all

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" href="betel_datasummary.css" /> 
Although I think it's the '700' file you want.

Edit: It also is not obvious if JQuery is being loaded in the page - pretty much any version will do.
The one in the example is an 'old' one, but does the job and loads quickly :)

Something like:

Code: Select all

?>

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" href="betel_datasummary.css" />
<script src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.8.2/jquery.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

</head>
<body>
<?php
BCJKiwi is your man for Saratoga / Carterlake templates, and also for putting files in 'strange' places ;)
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
92merc

Post by 92merc »

Yep, that did the trick. 700 still hangs out just a bit. But I can live with that! Thanks for all of your work.
beteljuice

Post by beteljuice »

92merc wrote:Yep, that did the trick. 700 still hangs out just a bit...
Looks alright to me ?

but ... you are regularly getting more Sun than calculated ? (30m > 2h) - you are only 514 m alt. so that's not the problem.

You may have to adjust some values in Cumulus.

BCJKiwi investigated / tested all sorts of combinations - but seems to be reluctant to post his findings ! :o

See BCJ - I told you it was important / interesting stuff :geek:
92merc

Post by 92merc »

I did tweak the settings down to 675 pixels instead of 700.

Not sure what is going on with sunshine. I did just go in and set my timezone to Chicago. Did that change anything? I'm not exactly sure what you are looking at.

I have maxsunhours set to 1. $bg_lat = 46.902167;$bg_lon = -100.784861;

I'm not sure what is calculating the graph.
92merc

Post by 92merc »

I just looked at my Cumulus settings for solar. I've left everything at defaults.

Sun threshold is 75%. "The percentage of the current theoretical maximum solar value above which the sun should be considered to be shining"

Solar minimum (W/m2) is 0 "The minimum solar reading for the sun to be considered to be shining"

Transmission factor is 0.8 "The transmission factor of the solar radiation through the atmosphere"

I'm guessing it would be one of those that needs tweaking.
beteljuice

Re: For everyone with solar sensors

Post by beteljuice »

from BCJKiwi:

Sun hours & the WMO.

FYI
Can confirm that the daily sun hours is affected by the Cumulus Setting;
Solar minimum (W/m2) - The minimum solar reading for the sun to be considered to be shining.
Yesterday with it set to 0 (the Cumulus default) 12.8 hrs was logged on the main (Envoy) console / Cumulus PC.
With it set to 120 ( the official WMO minimum ) 11.9 hrs was logged on an separate console / PC.
The discrepancy would be greater on more cloudy days and less on clear sky days.

Sun Threshold (percent) - The percentage of the current theoretical maximum solar value above which the sun should be considered to be shining
has no effect on the sun hours but only on the IsSunny tag.

Edit: See Steves post below ..

... and yes - your TZ and lat lon are used to calculate possible Sun Hours.
Last edited by beteljuice on Sun 21 Oct 2018 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

That WMO figure is not relevant for Davis sensors as it refers to direct radiation. The Davis sensor measures direct and diffuse radiation, hence the difficulty in determining whether the suns shining or not, requiring a complex formula.

Sun Threshold does affect the count of sunshine hours.
Steve
beteljuice

Post by beteljuice »

steve wrote:That WMO figure is not relevant for Davis sensors .... requiring a complex formula.
No change there then :bash:

I think I'll go back to the 'stone' weather indicator ...
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Regarding sunshine, I did not have the Davis UV or solar sensor on my VP2 until I replaced the ISS this past May. Instead, Cumulus was set to use my B-L Sunrecorder. I continued with using the B-L sunshine data until the recorder finally retired in the middle of July, after more than 7 years, and then set Cumulus to use the Davis VP2 Plus sensor. During this change I did notice periodic very short duration sunshine being logged by Cumulus when it was pretty well total clouds. The B-L had been much more sensitive and accurate. I got a replacement B-L installed a couple weeks ago and now back to using that with Cumulus. I believe settings can have an impact on sun recording but I have not changed them from default.

So my dayfile reader show sunshine from B-L except for the period July 18 to October 6th 2018.

In addition to my Davis ISS Pro USB/Cumulus, B-L setup I have a Vue console and WiFiLogger from the same ISS and that records UV and solar but have not tried to compare the two.

As an aside, I need to investigate why the Cumulus console is not showing the yellow sun when there is sunshine, but it records the sunshine correctly in the web updates and log files.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

BCJKiwi
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Cabled
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Post by BCJKiwi »

Not been monitoring the forum for a day ot two.

@ beteljuice - sent you a PM.
@ Steve
I thought I had tested this fully but will re-test - will take a day or two to see the results.
Have two separate PCs with Cumulus installed on two separate consoles off same ISS.
Changed the threshold in one and will see what the results are after the next full day.
beteljuice

Effect of altitude on Sunrise / set

Post by beteljuice »

RE: Effect of altitude on Sunrise / set

Found this and much similar on t'internet:
... The variation with altitude is approximately linear, and so we conclude that sunset is later by 1 minute for every 1.5 kilometres in altitude, and that sunrise is earlier by the same amount.
So altitude is not really going to be a consideration for those of you who regularly achieve actual readings greater than predicted.

Looks like tweaks to setting is the answer ???
BCJKiwi

Post by BCJKiwi »

Steve. - Sun Threshold does affect the count of sunshine hours.
As promised have run the comparison BUT, did not get what I expected on two counts:-
1. The numbers were different (where peviously they were the same).
2. They were the opposite to what might be expected.
Settings:-
CumulusMX - Envoy, USB logger.
Sun Threshold (percent) 75
Solar minimum (W/m2) 0
Transmission factor 0.87 (this was established over time by matching to actual.)
SunHours 3.1

Cumulus (1) VP2 Console, USB logger.
Sun Threshold (percent) 50
Solar minimum (W/m2) 0
Transmission factor 0.87
SunHours 2.95

Both systems running off the same ISS

Observations:-
The sunshine hours above are directly from dayfile.txt of each system for the 24 Oct 2018.
When previously tested there was no difference. I don't recall what sort of a day it was but there was more sun than this test day.
See the solar chart below for this test day.

The set up info ( Cumulus (1) Initial setup and how it works.doc ) states;
"Cumulus tries to determine whether the sun is shining by determining whether the current solar radiation value is above a certain percentage of the current theoretical maximum. The value you supply here is used as that percentage. The default value is 75%"

Cumulus MX Settings states;
"The percentage of the current theoretical maximum solar value above which the sun should be considered to be shining"

This would lead me to expect that if there was a difference, the lower the % the higher the sun hours.
In this test, the lower percent returned a lower sunhours which is the opposite to what would be expected.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Odd, latitude and longitude exactly the same in both setups?
Can you compare the theoretical value at the same time, 13:00 should be about the maximum and would show the most difference - are they the same?
BCJKiwi

Post by BCJKiwi »

The only diference between the two (apart from the threshold setting) is that one is CumulusMX and the other Cumulus(1)
All systems settings are otherwise the same including Lat/long etc.

MX chart shows a theoretical max of 1059 W/M2 (@ 13:05) which is the max for the day.
While the Cumulus(1) chart does not have a mouse-over the value looks the same as it should be.

If the previous test day was mostly full sun - or at least mostly sun above the lower threshold setting of the two systems - then the sunhours would be the same.