Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

New weather station WH-3080-solar

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
rogerelite
Weather Station: Nevada WH-3080-solar
Operating System: Windows 7

New weather station WH-3080-solar

Post by rogerelite »

I am just field testing a new model of weather station, an updated WH-1080. It looks pretty much like the previous model as regards the outside components but it has a smaller improved display consul. I made a few modification to it like adding a screen to the bottom of the rain gauge to keep spiders out ( my old rain gauge kept being blocked by spiders) and sealed the joint between the Solar sensor and the Temperature sensor with silicon rubber. We had a few returned in the winter because water got into the processor, if my guess about the cause of the problem is right next winter it work through the bad weather if I'm wrong back to the drawing board. I also used black tie wraps to fix the cables, white nylon breaks down in sunlight and the ties break, black ones last almost forever. I know I would be banging my head against a brick wall trying to get the manufacturer to include the mods but my observations might be helpful to current and future owners. Its also at the top of a 10M pole to get clear of obstructions that would affect the wind so it had better be reliable, changing the batteries every 2 years in the last 1 was a nightmare, solar power I hope is going to keep me on the ground ;)
Charlie
Weather Station: 1wire-Cumulus & Fine Offset

Re: New weather station WH-3080-solar

Post by Charlie »

rogerelite wrote: it had better be reliable, changing the batteries every 2 years in the last 1 was a nightmare, solar power I hope is going to keep me on the ground ;)
It's not unusual for a set of batteries to outlast a Fine Offset station. If changing them every 2 years is a hardship, you really are buying the wrong kit. Start thinking about spending 10X to 20X the money, and then your reliability expectations will be more realistic.
rogerelite

Post by rogerelite »

Actually I don't have to spend anything I have to test these bits of equipment as my company sells them, I could have taken a Watson or a Davis, but already done those.
jachym
Weather Station: WH 1080
Operating System: Win XP

Post by jachym »

Hi,
I would like to ask you one thing about this station. I am actually considering upgrading my WH1080 model to this one because what attracts me is the solar radiation measurement. However I would like to ask you a few things.
1. are the readings of the solar sensor accurate?
2. if I understand it correctly, the solar sensor is attached to the temp sensor, which however means that the thermometer sensor must constantly be exposed to direct sunlight, and based on my personal experience, the original radiation shield that comes with the station is absolutely insufficient, so I would then be a bit suspicious about the measurements of the temp sensor. Do you have any experience with this? How accurate is it? Is it possible to detach the solar sensor and have it somewhere so that the temp sensor can be for example somewhere a bit further away in a shadow?
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

rogerelite wrote:solar power I hope is going to keep me on the ground ;)
Hi,

The general experience appears to be that the so-called "Rechargeable Alkaline" cells don't last as long as a (non-recharged) pair of good quality alkalines (or preferably, 1.5 volt Lithiums). For a better chance of "zero maintenance" solar power, fit a single Lithium-Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) AA cell (which delivers 3.2 volts) plus a "dummy" (short circuit) cell in the other side of the bay. LiFePO4 cells are often sold specifically as "spares" for (good quality) "Solar Garden Lights". However, some might not have sufficient capacity to get through the low light levels of a British Winter. There is another "issue" that the FO circuit appears to have a "voltage regulator" which may prevent any cells (except perhaps NiMH) being recharged properly (LiFePO4s are generally considered not to require a regulator when used with solar trickle-charging).

@jachym: 1. The manufacturer's specification is +/-15% for the Lux reading, but I have tried two which differed by significantly more than 30% ! However, bear in mind that daylight levels chage over a range of many thousands (even millions) of percent. But more importantly, the FO diffuser reports "onmidirectional" Lux (which strictly should be only visble light) whilst the normal meteorological measurement is watts/square meter (of which about half is Infra Red) and has a "sine response" (i.e. corresponding to the energy falling on a horizontal surface). Also, IMHO the FO does NOT measure the correct wavelengths (primarily UVB-UVC, not UVA) of the official meteorological "UV Index".

2. Yes the Solar Pod is "captive" on the "Sun Shield" (the plug on the cable prevents it being removed) and indeed the poor shield can lead to excess temperatures of more than 5 degrees C. Painting it "brilliant white" and maybe adding a further shield (NOT made of metal!) might help. When considering the cabling, bear in mind that the Rain cable now plugs into the Solar Pod !

If you're competent with a soldering iron and general DIY then relocating (just) the Solar Pod up with the wind sensors is certainly possible and worthwhile. I've done all the preparatory work, but haven't "published" the details (yet) because a good implementation is likely to need a reasonable amount of skill, knowledge and tools.

Cheers, Alan.
philcdav
Weather Station: MyDEL WX2008 Mk2 Fine Offset
Operating System: XP and W7

Post by philcdav »

Hi guys.

just had a running battle with my solar system.

Every day for about a week the solar sensor failed at midday 'ish on sunny days.

This required a reset which always worked.

Eventually I got fed up and swapped the batteries for a pair of 3 year old Nikon LiMH 1.2 V rechargeables.

Not a blink since, now over a week :)

Sorted ? Watch this space.
Phil - G0DOR
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

Hi Phil,

That's interesting, is your "WX2008, Mk 2" a solar-charging (only) or a full solar-data (+charging) model? The (early) WH308x models had a tendency to "crash" with high light levels (mine only once so far) but AFAIK it was never clear whether due to a numerical (computational) overflow or to excessive battery voltage (or temperature, etc.). I added a "neutral density" filter to the UV sensor on mine and haven't suffered the problem again (yet), but a "sample of one" doesn't prove very much.

IMHO NiMH cells are a good replacement for the original "Rechargeable Alkalines", provided that you get adequate wireless range (with their lower voltage) and aren't bothered by an almost permanent "Low TX battery" icon on the LCD. However, the "Hybrid" (low leakage) variety might be a better choice to get through the low light levels (and charging current) of a UK winter.

Cheers, Alan.
philcdav

Post by philcdav »

Hi Alleycat.

Mk2 'full solar' model and still running sweet.

I read the threads about suspicion of overcharging 'stalling' the solar circuit.

I would have liked to have made a few readings but am happy to leave well alone :)

It would be nice to get the circuit unbuilt and on test bench just to see whats occurring but heh ho, life's too short.

My previous experience, over last 4 years with mk1 unit and NiMH cells was good with 18 + per set.
Phil - G0DOR
philcdav

Post by philcdav »

Well, so much for my 'brainwave'.

At the first incidence of a really sunny day the solar reading failed again.

Sadly, I am away so cant reset the system.

It would be interesting to get the sensor on the bench and light it while under test.

See if its possible to repeat failure at a specific light level, for example.
Phil - G0DOR
philcdav

Post by philcdav »

Hi guys.

As previously noted here my solar unit is a pain.

I have spent several day experimenting but now find the sensor is crashing the external temp/RH sensors as well.

I assume this is something to do with voltage, either being generated or draining the circuit.

Bypassing the solar until allows perfect operation.

One thing I havent seen/heard about is the red LED on the solar sensor. If its lit in daylight the system functions corretly but when it fails the LED is unlit.

When I unplug the sensor the LED relights indaylight. Refitting allows it work for a couple of minutes then it fails again.

Comments appreciated
Phil - G0DOR
rogerelite

Post by rogerelite »

So far my weather station is working fine, the old one was going well since 2009 only change it to test the new version. I noticed the new version has an additional sensor next to the solar panel just to record sunlight it's in a small dome. As far as I can tell compared to a Davis Pro at the other end of the garden its pretty close on all parameters. I modified the web pages to include UV levels on the index page and solar, UV levels and total sunshine in trends, I might add a few more graphs now I mastered the script. http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~burgess/weather if anyone wants a look, it may be down for a while on AM 4/6/13 my broad band is being upgraded to fibre.
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

philcdav wrote:One thing I havent seen/heard about is the red LED on the solar sensor. If its lit in daylight the system functions corretly but when it fails the LED is unlit.
Hi Phil,

AFAIK the LED on the Solar Pod should only flash, once per minute, when the Pod is operating correctly. There is no battery in the Pod, but it seems that its internal microcontroller can function just from power from the solar panel (when illuminated). The LED ON permanently normally means that the controller has "crashed" or failed to "boot" correctly. There is a "reset" button on the Pod and also a "reset" conductor in the cable to the Transmitter, but I'm not clear exactly what either does.

There are so many "issues" with the so-called "Rechargeable Alkaline" cells that you really need a multimeter to evaluate the problems. Personally, I would use non-rechargeable Alkalines or (1.5v) Lithium AA cells, perhaps disconnecting the PV panel (but probably not essential). Or use a single Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) AA cell, which is actually intended for Solar applications.

@rogerelite: Presumably your previous Pod was a "battery charging only" version. The "full solar data" versions have the Lux sensor dome to the right of the sloping PV (charging) panel and a tiny UV sensor to the left. Details in the "photos of" sticky thread and other threads concerning the WH3080/3081 in the FO section. Perhaps FO have finally "fixed" the issues of "crashing" and ludicrous UV readings. :)

Cheers, Alan.
rogerelite

Post by rogerelite »

The last few days have been bright and sunny, max UV recorded was 6, no problems with crashes at midday. I think the shielding over the temperature sensor has improved slightly over the old one, I regularly check my wind, humidity and temperature against the Thorney Island army weather station there isn't a great difference its only about 5 miles away. I know one of the problems was the anemometer seizing up I won't know if FO has fixed it for a few months, as for the batteries the jury is still out on those. I have noticed that I haven't lost sensor contact as often as the early version did only twice since installation in May. Interestingly I haven't seen any temperture sensors returned as failures for a while.
philcdav

Post by philcdav »

Hi Alan. thanks for the info.

I havent had a previous 'solar' unit.

My old unit was the 'plain and simple' 860 which worked faultlessly for nearly 4 years.

Am sorry I bothered upgrading but it seemed a good idea at the time.

So far I have tried 3 types of battery, covering the solar head with black tape partially and totally.

Still I get the dreaded --- . Its been stated elsewhere that multiple issues are the problem.

I am fairly handy with basic elctronics but am ready to bin the solar side of things as everything else works great.

I will try the capacitor fix next just for the crack but am not hopefull.

What really puzzles me is that it will work for days and then fail several times the same day even when obscurred.
Phil - G0DOR
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

Hi Phil,

There is also the "solder the crystal can to earth" modification, but I have to say that my particular "issue" with the Pod (batteries repeatedly flat within 3 months) was only fixed by complete replacement of the Pod (thanks to Signatrol).

If everything else works correctly (and the pod can't be replaced under warranty) then I'd just junk the rechargeable alkaline cells and use good quality non-rechargeable Alkaline or Lithium (1.5v) AAs. Perhaps disconnect one of the wires to the PV panel, but IMHO not essential. Or remove the pod from the "sun screen" (unsoldering or cutting the cable is required), put a cap on the top, and plug the rain cable directly into the transmitter.

Cheers, Alan.