Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Wind readings quite high after battery change?

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Wind readings quite high after battery change?

Post by AllyCat »

Mark19 wrote:The spare transmitter and console are 433.9 MHz, so a different frequency from the main station so they don't clash.?
Hi Mark,

That's not necessarily the case, the "434 MHz band" is a "time shared" band, the transmitters generally (are required to) broadcast for very short periods, typically 100ms each 48 seconds for the Fine Offset branded versions, so many can use the same frequency.

Most systems use an "address" (perhaps better described as a "signature") within the transmitted message, so that the receiver can identify if it is receiving the "correct" data. However, the Fine Offsets appear to (mainly) identify the message only by it's "position in time", i.e. exactly 48 seconds (or an integer multiple) after a previous message. Thus the recommendation, when replacing batteries, to bring the transmitter close to the Console and insert the batteries in both units at nearly the same time.

So you shouldn't need to worry even if your spare transmitter (or a replacement) also uses 434MHz. Generally, the only other "legal" UK frequencies* are in the 868 MHz band, used by a few wireless systems such as the Clas Ohlson FO versions. (*excepting the rather congested 2.4 GHz band used by WiFi and Bluetooth, etc.)

@Charlie/Werk_AG: I eventually Googled some details about the Ventus/Auriol stations, but sadly no technical details. However, it looks as if the wind sensor has a mount which might be used on a "wall" as well as a mast. So maybe the "calibration" is a design decision to permit some freedom in mounting direction. Perhaps it just "counts" clockwise and anticlockwise "ticks" (pulses) from the reference position, or maybe it introduces a correction factor onto its internal direction sensor (magnetic?).

Cheers, Alan.
Mark19
Weather Station: W-8681 (WH-1080)
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Mark19 »

I have a WH1080 (868.3 MHz) which is my main station, and WH1081 (433.9 MHz) which I use for replacement parts, although I did have the transmitter running to compare temperatures.

I have bought the WH1081 transmitter inside next to the console where its been for a couple of days now, with batteries out and in and it still just shows the red led flickering constantly.
Carnkie Weather Station & Webcam: http://carnkieweather.co.uk
Live from Carnkie, Nr Helston, Cornwall.
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

Hi Mark,

Make sure that all the battery contacts are clean and try NEW Alkaline batteries, but if the LED continues to flash incorrectly, then we must assume that the transmitter is faulty.

Beware that the replacement transmitters now available from Maplin (£15, free shipping) very probably use a different wireless protocol (but same 434 MHz frequency) as those sold a couple of years ago, so will not "talk" to an "old" Console. There are several threads in this forum on the topic.

Cheers, Alan.
Mark19
Weather Station: W-8681 (WH-1080)
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Mark19 »

I thought that replacement might not work with the WH-1081, I may buy the whole thing, as its currently on promotion at Maplin until Tuesday. I can then have some replacement parts, as I still think the wind speed might be playing up.
Carnkie Weather Station & Webcam: http://carnkieweather.co.uk
Live from Carnkie, Nr Helston, Cornwall.
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

Hi Mark,

Yes AFAIK the sensors are all "compatible" with the earlier versions, but might be a slight improvement (the rain gauge for example, and general soldering quality). There is the issue of the "USB lockups" with recent Consoles, but it appears that Steve may have found a "workaround" for these. :)

Cheers, Alan.