Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

How is snow recorded?

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
aznetcowboy
Weather Station: Davis 6153 Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

How is snow recorded?

Post by aznetcowboy »

Okay, this may seem like a weird question coming from Tucson, AZ USA, but we had snow yesterday. Yes, you are reading that correctly, snow. I am guessing about 3" or so. When looking at my recorded measurements, I show .27" of rain today but the snow stopped before midnight, about 10:30 P.M. yesterday. I would guess that the reading today was due to the melting of snow accumulated on the rain gauge? As snow is sure a rare event here, I am not sure what to make of this.
Tom Wills
Ridge Run Weather Station: http://www.ridgerun.us
Nykita
Weather Station: Ambient Weather WS-2080
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: How is snow recorded?

Post by Nykita »

I would say you pretty much have it figured out.. I believe 1 inch of rain = 1 foot of snow, or very close to it anyway. So, going by that your .27" rain should = 3 ¼ inches of snow.

About the only way to be accurate with snow is to use a ruler, our WS 2080 ain't smart enough to do the math... :lol:
No matter how carefully you choose your words, they'll always end up being twisted by others!
aznetcowboy
Weather Station: Davis 6153 Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Post by aznetcowboy »

Nykita wrote:I would say you pretty much have it figured out.. I believe 1 inch of rain = 1 foot of snow, or very close to it anyway. So, going by that your .27" rain should = 3 ¼ inches of snow.
Considering our temperatures were in the low to mid 30s once the snow started, it was a wet heavy snow. The total for the entire period was .47" and I would estimate the depth of the snow at about 3".

It's hard to believe this snow occurred as the normal high is 72. We had gotten up to 54 before it started snowing. Today was all the way up to 56 and is now dropping rather quickly. And it is supposed to freeze tonight. Brrrr. I know, we are a bunch of winter weather wimps here, but we make up for it during the summer with the 100+ temperatures which makes a lot of people summer weather wimps. ;)
Tom Wills
Ridge Run Weather Station: http://www.ridgerun.us
Nykita
Weather Station: Ambient Weather WS-2080
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Nykita »

I saw on The Weather Channel today that somewhere in either AZ or NM the temp dropped from the upper 40's to freezing in less than 20 miles.. I believe it was AZ on I-10.

Global warming at it's finest!!! :lol: :lol:
No matter how carefully you choose your words, they'll always end up being twisted by others!