Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Barometric pressure jumps every day at 6 a.m.

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
wmayfield
Weather Station: Ambient Weather WS-2080
Operating System: Windows XP SP2

Barometric pressure jumps every day at 6 a.m.

Post by wmayfield »

My barometric pressure readings go through a cycle every day that I am pretty sure is not really happening. Every day just before 0600 the barometric pressure reading starts rising sharply and goes up 12-15 mb in an hour. Then it spends the next 23 hours gradually going down until it shoots up again the next day.

The pressure readings at nearby NWS stations and personal weather stations do have a diurnal cycle, but it's not the same. They have more of a sine wave looking pattern with a gradual high around late morning and a gradual low in late afternoon.

Has anybody else seen this or have a theory why it would be happening? I'm not sure if it's happening in the software or in my weather station.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Barometric pressure jumps every day at 6 a.m.

Post by steve »

A number of cases have been reported on this forum of the Fine Offset pressure tracking the inside temperature; your issue sounds similar.
Steve
wmayfield
Weather Station: Ambient Weather WS-2080
Operating System: Windows XP SP2

Post by wmayfield »

Just for grins I moved the base unit a little farther away from the window and put a shoebox over it to try to shield it from any environmental factors. We'll see tomorrow morning if it makes any difference.
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

wmayfield wrote:We'll see tomorrow morning if it makes any difference.
Did it?
Werris Creek
Weather Station: PanTech (Fine Offset) WH3081
Operating System: Windows XP Pro SP3

Post by Werris Creek »

During a period of little actual change in pressure, I've caught my WH3081 (rebadged as "PanTech") showing the temperature dependence of its pressure sensor with inside temperature. It goes through this cycle every day as the reverse cycle air conditioner kicks in and stops for a short time as its outside unit temporarily freezes up.
press-temp.png
It looks like there's a close to +0.36 hPa/°C pressure reading variation. I expect that Steve has very little available time, but it would be great if he could add the option of a -0.36 hPa/°C compensation option for FO weather stations to the calibration page which would mostly null out this annoying error.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.