Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX release 3.6.6 (build 3082) - 1 June 2020 (please see important announcement regarding releases since 3.5.0)
Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of the NOAA report and Snow Index drop-down menus to 2030)

See the Wiki to download the software or click on the Downloads link in the Forum Banner.

Question

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
Spider-Vice
Weather Station: PCE FWS-20 (Fine Offset)
Operating System: Windows 10

Question

Post by Spider-Vice »

So I have two sensors for my FO, the main one (Which the console doesn't detect anymore but that's not what the topic is about) and a spare one I got once. The spare one won't transmit the wind direction but it will transmit everything else. I am wondering why this could be, it's really odd.

Thanks.

NO0C
Weather Station: Weatherwise WS-2080
Operating System: Windows XP

Re: Question

Post by NO0C »

Perhaps your wind direction sensor and/or wiring from it to the transmitter is fubar.
Tim

"That makes sense to me, doesn't it?" - DUBYA

Spider-Vice

Post by Spider-Vice »

No, the original transmitter works fine. It's just the spare one that doesn't transmit the wind direction.

apenwith
Weather Station: w8681 BlakeLarsen Sun Recorder
Operating System: Windows 7 SP1

Post by apenwith »

Hi
I would suspect the spring contacts in the transmitter RJ socket - either gone flat or corroded

Regards
Alan

Spider-Vice

Post by Spider-Vice »

Well, it's like that since I got it, oddly it does transmit wind speed but not its direction, as I said it works fine in the original one. Also inside the transmitter seems to be different aswell, maybe a different model? Hmm, I'm gonna have to compare carefully.

ejay
Weather Station: WH3081
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by ejay »

apenwith wrote:Hi
I would suspect the spring contacts in the transmitter RJ socket - either gone flat or corroded
Or even if the pins are bent. Also check the soldering on the board behind the RJ sockets.

Spider-Vice

Post by Spider-Vice »

Not that, it looks like it is a different version. On another hand, my FO has been puzzling me so much, it keeps failing with rain, but I know the signal gets down here because in some other places it gets the signal but then loses it. I'm 100% sure the transmitter isn't failing, if I go near it it works correctly, but I just can't seem to see why would rain disrupt the signal and sometimes it just won't come back even after 1-2 dry days...