Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Reading History

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
Bob
Weather Station: Watson W-8681

Reading History

Post by Bob »

Hi Steve,

I use a Watson w-8681, I thought that 1.18 read the history from the unit so Cumulus didn't need to run all the time///although I want it to.

Anyway, I stopped Cumulus, waited 20 mins then started it again.... in the log there is a 20min gap!

So where has the history gone?

Regards

Bob
Bob

dane
Weather Station: Rosenborg 68700
Operating System: Win10 Ult., 64-bit, RaspberryPi

Re: Reading History

Post by dane »

Bob,
did you actually close Cumulus? - or did you just put your PC to sleep - e.g. closed the lid?
I find that if you put your PC to sleep without closing Cumulus, it will start up again when you log in again, but leave a gap in the history (just happened to me over dinner...)

Anyway: you might try to edit the log files (while Cumulus is stopped/closed):
- in sep08.txt: delete all records after the gap, and make a note of the last time of the last good record
- in today.ini: edit the timestamp= record to have the last time from your edited sep08.txt

When you restart Cumulus it should read the data from the W8681 and build the log records for the missing period.
Ib
Bob

Post by Bob »

NoI shut the program....

I also tried removing Sept08.txt waiting a few minutes and restarting......but no history was recorded just started with the first reading....... maybe the machine needs restarting for it to read hostory?

I never turn the machine off as it is a server.

cheers a confused Bob
Bob

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Deleting the data log won't cause it to re-read that data, it keeps track of where it has read up to in the today.ini file. How often is your station logging? It may be that nothing has been logged in those 20 minutes.

If you want to investigate further, stop Cumulus and edit Cumulus.ini to put

Logging=1

in the [station] section. Start Cumulus when you know there is data in the logger, run for 5 minutes, then send me the debug.log file.

And yes (although not applicable here), as dane says (and another user has experienced), if you go into standby/hibernate, Cumulus doesn't know it hasn't been running, so doesn't catch up. I will see if there is anything I can do about this.

Steve
Steve
Bob

Post by Bob »

Steve,

i think I can see what is happening..... the W-8681 is only saving the data every 30 mins.... I stopped Cumulus for over 1 hour and when I restarted it had 2 records added to the sept08 file exactly 30 mins apart.

So my previous tests had been less than 30 mins

So it is working I guess

Regards

bob
Bob

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

You do know that you can configure the station to log more frequently than 30 minutes? I don't know if you can do it via the console, or whether you need to get easyweather to do it. You can't do it using Cumulus, I don't know the protocol.

Steve
Steve
Bob

Post by Bob »

i have never installed easy weather...will explore
Bob

Bob

Post by Bob »

Thanks Steve, now set to 5 mins (from easyweather) < unistalled that rubbish again though!

Cheers

Bob
Bob