Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Fine Offset WH1080 Transmitter/Thermo-Igro: red led "steady"

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
CrasHBoneS
Weather Station: PCE-FWS20
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Fine Offset WH1080 Transmitter/Thermo-Igro: red led "steady"

Post by CrasHBoneS »

-Problem
Lost sensor contact

Removed batteries both from transmitter and console

When I pull batteries again into trasmitter, the red led is steady also for minutes,
what does it mean?

normally is steady for 4-5 seconds, then goes off and then goes on again in 48 seconds

thank you very much
ejay
Weather Station: WH3081
Operating System: Windows XP

Re: Fine Offset WH1080 Transmitter/Thermo-Igro: red led "ste

Post by ejay »

Probably the microprocessor in the transmitter has failed. Maybe due to corrosion from exposure to moisture? The supplied stevenson screen isn't really adequate for shielding against things like horizontal rain in windy conditions.
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080

Post by AllyCat »

CrasHBoneS wrote:When I pull batteries again into trasmitter, the red led is steady also for minutes
Hi,

Have you tried a pair of new (or freshly charged NiMH) batteries and cleaned the battery contacts? If so, then I'm afraid ejay is probably correct.

Cheers, Alan.
CrasHBoneS

Post by CrasHBoneS »

Update:

I noticed the red led is steady until the transmitter and the console do not establish communication

Last night I did:
-Removed batteries both from transmitter and console
-I pulled batteries again into trasmitter: red led is steady
-I pulled batteries again into console: red led is steady again
-Go to sleep
-Late in the night I verified the console established communication with transmitter

everything went better then expected
ejay
Weather Station: WH3081
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by ejay »

Did you try taking the transmitter indoors for at least a day to keep it out of the rain and fog (if any)? This might help diagnose a moisture related problem.
CrasHBoneS

Post by CrasHBoneS »

Yesterday in the morning started raining here in Italy

I closed a window in the kitchen (I don't known if it is only a coincidence) and console lost sensor contact, but I could be also related to humudity

The sensor is inside a solar shield (not the original) and the sensor seems not to be "wet"

I unplugged batteries from console and transmitter but when I restore batteries the red led on transmitter is goes on and it is still steady after the whole night

The transmitter is now beside the console but red led is steady
Any help?

Solar PV is unplugged, I use Duracell Ultra Litium Batteries (-20° C) and their voltage is about 1,55V

ANY HELP?

UPDATE: lost sensors is NOT related to closing window in the kitchen, the console lost sensor contact earlier then I wake up
Last edited by CrasHBoneS on Tue 04 Sep 2012 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
iceberg
Weather Station: VANTAGE VUE METRIC 2015 MODEL
Operating System: windows 10

Post by iceberg »

CrasHBoneS wrote:Yesterday in the morning started raining here in Italy

I closed a window in the kitchen (I don't known if it is only a coincidence) and console lost sensor contact, but I could be also related to humudity

The sensor is inside a solar shield (not the original) and the sensor seems not to be "wet"

I unplugged batteries from console and transmitter but when I restore batteries the red led on transmitter is goes on and it is still steady after the whole night

Any help?

Solar PV is unplugged, I use Duracell Ultra Litium Batteries (-20° C) and their voltage is about 1,55V

ANY HELP?
You must live near a marine coast where its very humid with a salty enviroment....corrosion might have seeped in your battery compartment or inside the transmitter.
CrasHBoneS

Post by CrasHBoneS »

iceberg wrote:
CrasHBoneS wrote:Yesterday in the morning started raining here in Italy

Any help?

ANY HELP?
You must live near a marine coast where its very humid with a salty enviroment....corrosion might have seeped in your battery compartment or inside the transmitter.
I live far 100 mt. from Adratic sea, but it seems the trasmitter is trying to establish communication (red led steady)
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

The transmitter can not "know" if its signals are being received, because it is ONLY a transmitter (no wireless receiver for a "backchannel"). It just transmits a short burst of data (a fraction of a second) once every 48 seconds (or also 60 seconds if the solar pod is connected) and "hopes" that it is received. The only exceptions are perhaps for the first few minutes after inserting batteries and "on the hour" when the Radio Control Clock data (if supported) is transmitted.

If the LED stays on for longer, then remove the battery(s) and disconnect the solar pod if connected, wait a few minutes and then try again. Repeat this several times if necessary, but if the LED is always on (and NEW batteries have been tried) then I'm afraid the transmitter is probably faulty.

Cheers, Alan.
CrasHBoneS

Post by CrasHBoneS »

AllyCat wrote:.........................
If the LED stays on for longer, then remove the battery(s) and disconnect the solar pod if connected, wait a few minutes and then try again. Repeat this several times if necessary, but if the LED is always on (and NEW batteries have been tried) then I'm afraid the transmitter is probably faulty.

Cheers, Alan.
Thank You

These test could be made inside home with rain/wind plug disconnected?

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

Yes, testing the transmitter indoors with no cables connected is a good idea (there could be water in the cables/connectors).

Also, try drying the transmitter with some warmth, or in a bag of dry rice has been suggested. If the unit is out of warranty, then the glued enclosure can be opened with a knife or credit card (there are various threads on this forum). But generally, it is not possible for even technically-able people to repair these modules if they are faulty.

Cheers, Alan.
CrasHBoneS

Post by CrasHBoneS »

AllyCat wrote:Hi,

Yes, testing the transmitter indoors with no cables connected is a good idea (there could be water in the cables/connectors).

Also, try drying the transmitter with some warmth, or in a bag of dry rice has been suggested. If the unit is out of warranty, then the glued enclosure can be opened with a knife or credit card (there are various threads on this forum). But generally, it is not possible for even technically-able people to repair these modules if they are faulty.

Cheers, Alan.
thank you
the unit is NOT out of warranty, so I decided to sent it back to seller