Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Record glitch

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
Bob
Weather Station: Watson W-8681

Record glitch

Post by Bob »

Hi Steve,

Last night (well this morning) I had a temperature glitch (seems to happen occasionally) where temperature shoots up or down by a couple of degrees.. well when it did it last night it set a new record for wind chill and min temp.... thing is how do I get it to show the previos records for those, presumably they are in the log somewhere, is there a way of getting Cumulus to re read and find the old records?

Cheers

Bob
Bob

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Record glitch

Post by steve »

Cumulus does some checking for silly values, but glitches of a few degrees will get past.

The all-time record data for wind chill and min temp are created as they happen, not by scanning the data files. So, the only way to get Cumulus to display the old ones would be to use 'Edit | All time records' and put them back in again manually.

One of my many planned enhancements (see elsewhere on the forum) is to keep a history of all-time records, which would help you reinstate old values if incorrect ones appeared.

Steve
Steve
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi Steve,

Is there an easy way of finding the old records?

Can you put something in Cumulus to ignore a change of say >1 degree in consecuqtive (sp) readings?

Cheers

bob

Your weather station on web seems to have stopped generating web pages at 20:53 yesterday
Bob

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Bob wrote:Is there an easy way of finding the old records?
For the minimum temperature, you can scan dayfile.txt for the minimum value (see help file for format). The wind chill doesn't get logged anywhere at the moment, so there's not much you can about that one, I'm afraid.
Can you put something in Cumulus to ignore a change of say >1 degree in consecuqtive (sp) readings?
I suppose I could. But it would have to be optional, and the actual value would probably need to be configurable...
Your weather station on web seems to have stopped generating web pages at 20:53 yesterday
Yes, I'm testing the enhancements I've done for using the data logger, so I had it stopped overnight. Having done it for Fine Offset stations, I decided to go ahead and do it for my Davis VP2 as well. It's looking good, so should be available soon.

Steve
Steve
Bob

Post by Bob »

The optional/configurable ignore glitches sounds an excellent enhancement..... a number of radio hams are using these devices.... I can image the glitched when the unit is transmitting and maga watts (in comparison) are being transmitted!

Cheers

bob
Bob

Bob

Post by Bob »

Steve,

I seem to be getting a number of these temperature glitches.....it could be because of RF, but it is rather screwing the records.....see attchment. It would be great if you could put something in to ignore them, I would have thought it easy in software if my little brain can see it can't be right just by looking at the graph!

Cheers

Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Bob,

You greatly underestimate the power of your brain compared to a puny PC!

Is it just the temperature that's showing the problem? It could be the sensor. Is the sun coming out briefly and affecting the reading?

Steve
Steve
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi Steve,

You are modest!

I think it is just the temperature that does it, wouldn't have thought it was the sun coming out...its been out all the time today!

To get Cumulus to ignore drastic changes in a minute would be good.....see I have great faith in your brian to tell the pc wot to do!!!!

Great job Steve

Regards

Bob
Bob

TgT
Weather Station: Davis VP2 + Solar
Operating System: A20 TV box + CumulusMX

Post by TgT »

Why don't you try running second weather software and compare situation.
I'm running Virtual Serial Ports Emulator software to emulate virtual port which can be used then with multiple weather software... ;)
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

TgT wrote:Why don't you try running second weather software and compare situation.
I'm running Virtual Serial Ports Emulator software to emulate virtual port which can be used then with multiple weather software... ;)
These stations are USB :)

Steve
Steve
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi Steve,

I had another glitch today, just one reading 8 degrees higher than all the others.....of course it gave todays max temp!!! fortunately as I was home today I could edit files accordingly.

I don't think this is cos of any "fault"....probably just a bit of interference maybe.

Anyone else see this at all? W-8681 in use here.

Steve any thoughts for a software trap..... you said that "Cumulus does some checking for silly values" any chance of tightening this?

Cheers

Bob
Bob

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Are the glitches always upwards? I could put a quick hack in for now, configurable via the ini file, to ignore a reading higher than the previous one by X degrees. Would that do for now?

Steve
Steve
Bob

Post by Bob »

yes always upward...... that fix sounds brilliant and will do! Will it also not send it the wunderground, as I see that my records are showing the on off peak on wunderground..the readings every minute show the one rogue measurement.

but the fix sounds really good thanks

cheers Bob

PS Ive just been out shaking the pole the sensors are on...my wife thinks I am mad, come to think of it, she thought that before.......anyway doesn't look like a faulty connection!!
Bob

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Yes, it will totally ignore any increase in successive readings above the threshold you specify. You'll have to be careful about the value you specify, your smallest glitch appeared to be only about 2C, and that seems like a reasonable increase in 48 seconds to me. Note that the hack won't be looking for glitches where it quickly rises and then falls again, only for increases.

Apparently, the fastest temperature rise on record is 27 °C (49 °F) in just 2 minutes; Spearfish, South Dakota, 1943-01-22. (Wikipedia)

Steve
Steve
TNETWeather

Post by TNETWeather »

I used to have temp spikes and humidity flat lines with my VP1. It was definitely a hardware issue though that was made lessened quite a bit when the sensor was replaced. It still had the problem though which I believe was on the ISS circuit board.

Davis offered to check the whole system out ($75 refurbish station charge) but I ended up replacing it with a VP2 and selling the unit to someone in Europe who didn't care about the spikes.