Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Temp sensor

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
zecrich
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Windows 7

Temp sensor

Post by zecrich »

My staion has recorded a barmy 29.9 deg today, someone suggested that the sensor is too exposed.

The sensor is on the pole with other gear and is sitting in the provided shield, is this not enough?
where should it be?

I cant see me being able to get it into the shade
If it hurts, you're still alive!
daj
Operating System: Pi & MX

Re: Temp sensor

Post by daj »

You have probably recorded a direct sunlight temperature. The small shield around the sensor is not adequate for high temperatures. If you search the forum there are several adaptations/screens people have made.

I've asked if someone would make me one -- I am happy to pay, but still no offers :-(
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
WoodburyMan
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000
Operating System: Windows 10 20H2

Post by WoodburyMan »

When I got my WS-1090 I got a larger solar radiation cover thats about 4-5 times larger than the one that came with it as a addon. I got it from Ambient Weather.. Ambient Weather SRS100LX. A quick Google search will reveal a few places to get it from. It's compatible with quite a few stations. I've compared my readings after installing with a small Oregon Scientific temp sensor I have located in complete shade on a screen porch and it's been spot on with it up to 86F (30C). The cost was $30 US when combined with my station, $40 separately.
Woodbury, CT Weather Ecowitt GW1100, Solar, Wind, Rain, Temp, Soil, Lightning
Southington, CT Weather Ecowitt GW2000 Wittboy Solar, Wind, Rain, Temp, Soil, Lightning, CO2/PM2.5/PM10

Running CumuluxMX 3.24.1 b3234 both sites on Windows 11 22H2
uncle_bob
Weather Station: WeatherDuino Pro2
Operating System: 2008

Post by uncle_bob »

Putting it in a shady spot is the best option if you can't get a better radiation shield.
Interested in building your own Weather Station? Maybe check out the WeatherDuino Pro Project Here
Conder, Canberra Weather
zecrich
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by zecrich »

I am having a host of issues, it all currently 20 ish feet above ground but a neighbours tree is causing problems with accuracy of wind readings, I lowered the the rain gauge and now I need to move the humidity/temp sensor.

I (amateur thought) believed that the temp sensor had to be in a sunny position.

I am learning slowly and cant wait to get it right!

So its the temperature is measured from air temperature not direct temperature
If it hurts, you're still alive!
MickinMoulden
Weather Station: WS-1081 with rain gauge mod
Operating System: Windows 7 & 1.9.3 b1059

Post by MickinMoulden »

zecrich wrote:I am having a host of issues, it all currently 20 ish feet above ground but a neighbours tree is causing problems with accuracy of wind readings, I lowered the the rain gauge and now I need to move the humidity/temp sensor.

I (amateur thought) believed that the temp sensor had to be in a sunny position.

I am learning slowly and cant wait to get it right!

So its the temperature is measured from air temperature not direct temperature
Yes, you want to measure the air temperature. Two things you don't want to measure: 1. Radiated heat ie. heat build up on the shield (it does it's best for a piece of plastic), heat radiating from walls and 2. and air that has been heated up by hot surfaces that can rise up to the temperature sensor ie. not above surfaces that heat up like concrete/driveways.
You can extend the wires (mine are both 15 meters). Some people have used bushes for shade, although this raises humidity (great if yours undereads!).
Michael, Palmerston, NT Australia www.Palmerston-WeatherImageNo image? I'm offline!
ImageImage