Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Light reading not showing on website

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
jturner
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH-3081
Operating System: Vista

Light reading not showing on website

Post by jturner »

Hi all

This is my first post to the forum. First just wanted to say thanks to Steve for such a brilliant piece of software. I'll be making my donation very soon.

I have a Fine Offset WH-3081, with the data being uploaded to this URL:

http://www.jturnerphotography.com/weather/index.htm

When I first setup my webpage, the correct Evapotranspiration (ET) value (AKA light level) showed on the webpage. After upgrading to the latest build (1006), it seems the light level always reads as 0.00 on the webpage. I've just upgraded to build 1007 this evening and will check again tomorrow when it's light to see if that helps.

The light meter on the station is working fine, as the light level shows on the console and on Cumulus, and the solar radiation reads fine on Cumulus and the website.

Does anyone have any ideas why my light level/ET might not be showing up correctly on the website?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jeremy
http://www.jturnerphotography.com/weather/index.htm
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Light reading not showing on website

Post by steve »

I might have broken that when I was doing some tidying-up of the code. It was a bit of a hack that it worked at all. What I'll do is introduce a proper <#Light> web tag.

Edit: Just to confirm - I had indeed broken it; I've put a <#Light> web tag into the next build.
Steve
David Taylor
Weather Station: Watson W-8681-solar
Operating System: Win-7 64-bit, Cu beta 1.9.2 1007

Post by David Taylor »

Another first-time poster, also very impressed with the software. I'm running 1.9.1 (989) and I seem to have "- - -" displayed on the LCD for the light level. I recall that when I first set up the unit stand-alone this morning there was a sensible light value displayed (some tens of kilolux), and also a value in the UV circle. That UV circle is now showing "-". I wonder whether this could be due to connecting the base unit to the PC and running the Cumulus software?

It's now spitting with rain, but the rainfall is showing zero. Connections were properly pushed in (and made a click!). Temperatures, humidity and windspeed/direction look OK, so I'm not sure whether the software has anything to do with it or not.

My data is here and shows no Solar Radiation:

http://www.satsignal.eu/Cumulus/index.htm

Thanks,
David
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

David Taylor wrote:That UV circle is now showing "-". I wonder whether this could be due to connecting the base unit to the PC and running the Cumulus software?
Cumulus doesn't - can't - interfere with the communication between the sensor and the console. I'm not an expert in radio transmission, but I imagine that it's possible that connecting the console to a PC could conceivably affect reception. Communication between the solar sensors and the console on these stations seems to suffer from dropouts even more than the 'normal' sensors, for some reason.
It's now spitting with rain, but the rainfall is showing zero.
You need a surprising amount of rain to fall to cause a 0.3mm tip.
Steve
David Taylor

Post by David Taylor »

Cumulus doesn't - can't - interfere with the communication between the sensor and the console. I'm not an expert in radio transmission, but I imagine that it's possible that connecting the console to a PC could conceivably affect reception. Communication between the solar sensors and the console on these stations seems to suffer from dropouts even more than the 'normal' sensors, for some reason.

You need a surprising amount of rain to fall to cause a 0.3mm tip.
Thanks for both, Steve. Not knowing the architecture, I was unsure, but thought I would ask. My experience is zero with this kit, so your comments about the rain are also appreciated. I tried moving the console away from the PC and nearer the station, but it made no difference.

Perhaps someone could advise how to restore the system from a drop-out?

Thanks,
David
David Taylor

Post by David Taylor »

It seems that pulling the battery from the station has reset the connection this time, but I can't accept that as a long-term solution. Both the klux and UV values are showing on the console.

The original problem of showing zero solar radiation remains, though.

http://www.satsignal.eu/Cumulus/index.htm

Should I be able to see the solar or UV data in Cumulus?

Thanks,
David
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

David Taylor wrote:The original problem of showing zero solar radiation remains, though.
That's odd; I think that web tag should work for FO stations in 1.9.1.
Should I be able to see the solar or UV data in Cumulus?
Yes, if you turn it on via the display settings. Then you'll be able to see whether Cumulus is showing zero or whether it's purely a web problem. If Cumulus itself is showing zero while the station is showing a value, zip up the diags folder and attach it and I'll see if I can see a problem.
Steve
David Taylor

Post by David Taylor »

Yes, if you turn it on via the display settings. Then you'll be able to see whether Cumulus is showing zero or whether it's purely a web problem. If Cumulus itself is showing zero while the station is showing a value, zip up the diags folder and attach it and I'll see if I can see a problem.
I updated to 1.9.2 (1007). In the Configuration, Display, I have the box "Display solar/extra data" checked. This results in an extra "Extra" display panel appearing, but this contains Temp, Dew pt and Hum, not the solar information (which is showing on the console). View, Select-A-graph, Solar Radiation, draws a line at zero.

Where should Cumulus display this information?

Thanks,
David
jturner
Operating System: Vista

Post by jturner »

Thanks for looking into the problem Steve.

Looking forward to the next build.

Cheers
Jeremy
http://www.jturnerphotography.com/weather
David Taylor

Post by David Taylor »

David Taylor wrote:I updated to 1.9.2 (1007). In the Configuration, Display, I have the box "Display solar/extra data" checked. This results in an extra "Extra" display panel appearing, but this contains Temp, Dew pt and Hum, not the solar information (which is showing on the console). View, Select-A-graph, Solar Radiation, draws a line at zero.

Where should Cumulus display this information?

Thanks,
David
Fixed - I hadn't selected station "Fine Offset ... with solar/UV" after installing the beta. Now showing on the Web as well:
http://www.satsignal.eu/Cumulus/

Cheers,
David
Destiny WX
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Destiny WX »

I am a relatively new user of Cumulus & am very impressed. (A donation will be heading your way soon)

My query relates to this topic & I'm using a Fine Offset 3081. My webpage doesn't show a figure, other than 0.00mm for Evapotranspiration Today & being a farmer I would find that informative. I am however getting a Solar Radiation reading. Is there something I haven't ticked?

I have upgraded this morning to v 1.9.3 with no change either.

Cheers
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Fine Offset stations don't supply Evapotranspiration figures, only Davis stations. Currently Cumulus doesn't calculate it if the station doesn't supply it. It's possible that I'll add this to a future version, but it's non-trivial.
Steve
Destiny WX
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Destiny WX »

Many thanks
peterh
Weather Station: Alecto WS-5000 rebadged FO 3081
Operating System: Windows server 2008R2

Post by peterh »

An opinion should be the result of a thought process, not a substitution.
http://www.dnl-core.net/CothenWeather/
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

peterh wrote:Steve: does this help?

http://www.sipeaa.it/ASP/ASP2/ET.asp
I'm not sure, what did you have in mind? It's a .NET component, so I can't use it in Cumulus. I might be able to use it in my possible future .NET version of Cumulus, but that would depend on being able to supply all of the data that it requires.
Steve