Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

New to Install...Need Help

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
Cambium
Weather Station: ProWeatherTP3000
Operating System: Windows10

New to Install...Need Help

Post by Cambium »

Reason for installing = Easy Weather station not recording "max" wind gusts instead it records last wind gust before the interval which is a minimum of 5 minutes.

I am not code / tech savy. I downloaded the Cumulus software and have no idea what settings I need to change or add.

Is there a video tutorial or another link that provides step by step instructions?

Thank you.

Here's a screen shot if this helps.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: New to Install...Need Help

Post by steve »

Cambium wrote:Is there a video tutorial or another link that provides step by step instructions?
There's a help file, have you looked at that? If you click on the 'help' button on the station settings screen, it tells you that you shouldn't be using the setting you've chosen for station type, you should use 'Fine Offset' and make sure you don't run Easyweather at the same time as Cumulus. That's the only essential setting you need to at least get you going.
Reason for installing = Easy Weather station not recording "max" wind gusts instead it records last wind gust before the interval which is a minimum of 5 minutes.
Cumulus does the same, as far as the data logs are concerned. The effect is minimised using the 1-minute log setting, as long as Cumulus is actually running - i.e. not using 'archive' data from the station's logger.
Steve
Cambium

Post by Cambium »

steve wrote:
Cambium wrote:Is there a video tutorial or another link that provides step by step instructions?
There's a help file, have you looked at that? If you click on the 'help' button on the station settings screen, it tells you that you shouldn't be using the setting you've chosen for station type, you should use 'Fine Offset' and make sure you don't run Easyweather at the same time as Cumulus. That's the only essential setting you need to at least get you going.
Cumulus does the same, as far as the data logs are concerned. The effect is minimised using the 1-minute log setting, as long as Cumulus is actually running - i.e. not using 'archive' data from the station's logger.
Thank you for the reply. I got everything to read and run after finding the FAQs and clicking "Help" and "Help Topics" within the software. I did switch to "Fine Offset"

I am extremely impressed and happy with the looks of everything and the details of the datas. Amazing stuff.

I do have two other questions:
~ I put laptop on sleep mode overnight and it still didnt read data. Is there a way to import data so theres no gap? I not only shut down my laptop but carry it room to room or on deck sometimes.

~ Is there a way to save a text file for the data from each day or do I just go into easy weather software and retrieve the data to save from there?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Cambium wrote:~ I put laptop on sleep mode overnight and it still didnt read data. Is there a way to import data so theres no gap? I not only shut down my laptop but carry it room to room or on deck sometimes.
Cumulus can't cope with Windows being put to sleep while it's running, there will always be gaps in the data if you allow that to happen.
~ Is there a way to save a text file for the data from each day or do I just go into easy weather software and retrieve the data to save from there?
It depends on what exactly you want to go into the text file. You mean something other than the data that Cumulus records in its log files?
Steve
Cambium

Post by Cambium »

steve wrote:
Cambium wrote:~ I put laptop on sleep mode overnight and it still didnt read data. Is there a way to import data so theres no gap? I not only shut down my laptop but carry it room to room or on deck sometimes.
Cumulus can't cope with Windows being put to sleep while it's running, there will always be gaps in the data if you allow that to happen.
It depends on what exactly you want to go into the text file. You mean something other than the data that Cumulus records in its log files?
When you say "cant cope" I assume you mean the computer needs to stay on 24/7 which would be a charging/electric consuming/privacy thing for me. And I assume as soon as I unplug the USB connection it wont read. I wonder if there will be a wireless way in the future.Kinda like how I get internet..maybe Cumulus can read the data from the sensor itself.

Yes log files of the data it has read (temp,rain, wind, ect) for August 2nd,

Thanks Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Cambium wrote:When you say "cant cope" I assume you mean the computer needs to stay on 24/7 which would be a charging/electric consuming/privacy thing for me. And I assume as soon as I unplug the USB connection it wont read.
It doesn't need to stay on 24/7. When Cumulus starts up, it downloads the data from the station's logger for the period since it was last closed down. You just have to make sure you do close it down before you allow the PC to sleep, or unplug the station from the PC.
I wonder if there will be a wireless way in the future.Kinda like how I get internet..maybe Cumulus can read the data from the sensor itself.
That would require additional hardware to receive the radio transmissions from the station (effectively replacing the console).
Yes log files of the data it has read (temp,rain, wind, ect) for August 2nd,
Cumulus logs data to a file that changes each month (the format is in the wiki). If you just want the data for a particular day in a separate file, you would have to arrange some way of extracting each day's entries from those files.
Steve
Cambium

Post by Cambium »

steve wrote:It doesn't need to stay on 24/7. When Cumulus starts up, it downloads the data from the station's logger for the period since it was last closed down. You just have to make sure you do close it down before you allow the PC to sleep, or unplug the station from the PC.
Awesome! Just made my day. Thank you. Have a great day Steve.
Cambium

Post by Cambium »

steve wrote:It doesn't need to stay on 24/7. When Cumulus starts up, it downloads the data from the station's logger for the period since it was last closed down. You just have to make sure you do close it down before you allow the PC to sleep, or unplug the station from the PC.
Is there a setting I need to click on for this to happen. I just unplugged the unit from the USB around 7:30pm and plugged it back in minutes ago at 8:20 but it didnt read the data for that hour.

dpmiller
Weather Station: WH3080
Operating System: Win XP sp3

Post by dpmiller »

need to re-open the software to download.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Cambium wrote:I just unplugged the unit from the USB around 7:30pm and plugged it back in minutes ago at 8:20 but it didnt read the data for that hour.
Yes, as I said above, you have to make sure you close Cumulus down before you unplug the station from the PC.
Steve
Cambium

Post by Cambium »

steve wrote:
Cambium wrote:I just unplugged the unit from the USB around 7:30pm and plugged it back in minutes ago at 8:20 but it didnt read the data for that hour.
Yes, as I said above, you have to make sure you close Cumulus down before you unplug the station from the PC.
Whoops. Sorry. Yeah it worked this morning. I didnt close the softwarte but I changed the setting on laptop that when I Close the lid it shuts down not sleeps. Opened it up this morning, Opened the software and whalah. Awesome stuff.

I woulld love to share ideas and suggestions but will find the right thread for it. Such as a mouse roll over on the graph charts to show exact data and time.

:)
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

If you have any enhancement requests, please put them in the 'Enhancement request' section (but of course you can post in the forum if you want to discuss them first). Bear in mind two things: firstly, there's a long list of enhancement requests already and I'm going as fast as I can to implement them; this doesn't mean you shouldn't ask for new things, just realise that it may be some time before I can get around to them. And secondly, some things (like the graphs) are beyond my control as they use third-party components. If the component doesn't offer a particular facility, I can't add it to Cumulus.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I've thought of a third point: if I find a suggestion interesting, or useful to me personally, it's likely to jump to the front of the queue :lol:
Steve
Cambium

Post by Cambium »

steve wrote:I've thought of a third point: if I find a suggestion interesting, or useful to me personally, it's likely to jump to the front of the queue :lol:
Excellent to know. I think it has everything but I know you want to keep your mind challenged so I'll try to think of something. I'm usually pretty good with ideas.

BTW - forgot to mention... How do I fix the low temp record? I really wish it was that in August.
:lol:

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Cambium wrote:How do I fix the low temp record?
Use the built-in editor(s) from the edit menu. You can either get it to retrieve the values from the log files, or, if the aberrant values are also in the log files, use alltimelog.txt to find the previous records and enter them manually into the editor.
Steve