Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WH3080 solar readings

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
actioman
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: WH3080 solar readings

Post by actioman »

steve wrote:Do you think it needs a 'multiplier' setting as well as an offset? I'm thinking a multiplier probably doesn't make much sense for UV index, but I could be wrong...
Steve, I did not say that needs a multiplier. It needs Offsets (Add / Subtract). I agree with you, a multiplier that does not make sense.

mcrossley wrote:or stick a bit of tape over part of the sensor :lol: :roll:
mcrossley, this is already entering in the field of invention .... If Steve wants to be kind enough to apply such offsets will be much easier and after a few tests I will find the correct value. I have done the same with solar radiation and now works well.

What is required is to resolve a failure of these stations: A way to calibrate their variables. And in this, Steve and his Cumulus are very good!

I know it's a cheaper station! (each one purchase the one that can) 8-) But I have it running in the most serious and effective as possible. I do not do it just for fun. Otherwise do not bother me to have a website. I came to the computer and saw the station data.

steve wrote:Indeed. I have to say I'm not convinced of the need for this, or the validity of assuming that other nearby stations have the correct values, but it's easy enough to add, and I've long since given up trying to do only things that I think are correct :lol:
Steve, I just spoke at the chance. And like you said you could do, I convinced me that you would agree with such possibility of refining the values ​​of UV.
For me there are only two possibilities here. Or is there a way to calibrate the solar panel or the panel is useless. What is the advantage of have instruments that measure wrong values​​?

This sensor I have, measures UV values 4 times higher than real. And I do not solely based on weather stations around me. I cross these values ​​with the predictions of UV from the national weather.

But of course you are who decides what and when to implement. I'm just eternally grateful to you for all you have done! ;)

To all those who think to buy this weather station, here is the information and so can better decide what to do.
Kind Regards, Manuel.

Super-T
Weather Station: wh-1081
Operating System: Weather Laptop - Windows 10 Pro

Post by Super-T »

Hmmmm....humour gets lost in translation
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

actioman wrote:I did not say that needs a multiplier.
I know you didn't; I was asking if you thought it needed one. Thank you for your reply.
Steve
apenwith
Weather Station: w8681 BlakeLarsen Sun Recorder
Operating System: Windows 7 SP1

Post by apenwith »

Hi
I'm not sure if a lux level can ever be reliably converted to w/m2 due to the scattering of higher frequencies of radiation and some of which are converted to heat energy by particle absorption. Unless the atmosphere is completely clear and pollution free - a rare event - there are going to be considerable variations in lux level.

Regards
Alan
actioman

Post by actioman »

steve wrote:I know you didn't; I was asking if you thought it needed one. Thank you for your reply.
I apologize then, I thought that you were affirm! :oops:

apenwith wrote:Hi
I'm not sure if a lux level can ever be reliably converted to w/m2 due to the scattering of higher frequencies of radiation and some of which are converted to heat energy by particle absorption. Unless the atmosphere is completely clear and pollution free - a rare event - there are going to be considerable variations in lux level.

Regards
Alan
I do not have sufficient knowledge to tell you otherwise. But one thing is certain, by applying a given variable, the value seems to be right. There is a connection between lux and W/m2.
Kind Regards, Manuel.

actioman

Post by actioman »

Thanks Steve!

I have arrived to my house now and discovered that we already have a new version of Cumulus with the 'calibration' setting for UV! :) :clap:

I will test, starting tomorrow, this feature.
Kind Regards, Manuel.

dpmiller
Weather Station: WH3080
Operating System: Win XP sp3

Post by dpmiller »

Steve, why do both my UV Index and SolarRad. appear to "lag" behind Max Solar by two hours?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

dpmiller wrote:Steve, why do both my UV Index and SolarRad. appear to "lag" behind Max Solar by two hours?
Have you entered your co-ordinates correctly? Is your PC on the correct time zone and set for BST?
Steve
dpmiller

Post by dpmiller »

yes and yes, as far as I can see.
location is set as 54 35 48 and 5 39 46 (from "location sensor" in Autoroute)
timezone is at GMT w. auto DST

the lag is repeatable every day, it doesn't appear related to sun/cloud conditions...
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

dpmiller wrote:yes and yes, as far as I can see.
location is set as 54 35 48 and 5 39 46 (from "location sensor" in Autoroute)
timezone is at GMT w. auto DST
You've got your longitude as 'West', yes?
Steve
dpmiller

Post by dpmiller »

and... that would be the problem, sorted.

thanks!