Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Pressure varations with temperature

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
Philip
Weather Station: Maplin N96GY
Operating System: windows Xp Sp3

Pressure varations with temperature

Post by Philip »

Hi to all

I have now moved my weather station ( maplin ) to the middle of a field, the base station and a dell laptop are now located in a very well ventilated barn.

During the recent days of nearly steady pressure it has become apparent that the inside temperature and the pressure graphs look very similar. At the same time of the move I also changed to cumulus 1.9.1. I never noticed this similarity before when the base station was in our house.

Has anybody else seen this with either the new software or base station temperature changes?

If you want to have a look at my weather graphs they are at:-

http://www.jollyroger2.eclipse.co.uk/weather/

light winds and blue skies

Philip
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Pressure varations with temperature

Post by steve »

The pressure reading will vary a little with temperature, particularly with a station that has no compensation like the Fine Offset. But I think you have a problem with your pressure sensor; I'm pretty sure I've seen a case like this before, where someone's pressure sensor was actually following the inside temperature.

I'm reasonably confident that it isn't a problem with Cumulus, but you can check this simply by comparing the relative pressure reading on the console with the reading shown by Cumulus.
Steve
Philip

Post by Philip »

Steve

Thanks for the quick reply, I was hoping you weren't going to say that :cry: I will check on Saturday when I am next in the field and report back.

Philip
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

I found a couple of past threads where Fine Offset owners had pressure graphs which closely followed the shape of the inside temperature graph, as yours does, but in neither case did the owner come back later to say what, if anything, they had done to resolve the problem.
Steve
robynfali
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by robynfali »

mine doesn't

http://www.h-i-r.org.uk/weather/trends.php

But it would be handy to know if there is a problem solved, should an issue arise!
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

Mine doesn't either. I agree that it would be helpful to others if people would post if they find the cause of a problem and say how they solved it.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
Philip

Post by Philip »

Just a quick update. It is the pressure/temperature sensor that is faulty, I removed the covers and applied a little heat from a hair drier the pressure reading immediately changed. One of the soldered joints looked a little dry so I resoldered them all but to no effect.

The sensor looks like a HP01S from hopeRF ( http://www.hoperf.com/upfile/HP01S.pdf ) so all I have to do now is find a supplier.

Watch this space

Philip
simonvfr
Weather Station: Maplin-WatsonW8681-Fine Offset

Post by simonvfr »

I have the same problem Philip, so I am looking forward to hearing whether you are successful in replacing the sensor.
Simon

Llama weather from central France
Philip

Post by Philip »

I have good news and bad news.

First the good news; my weather station is now back up and running and showing the correct data. :D

Now the bad news :cry: I have got nowhere in my search for a pressure/temperature sensor. So I have bought a new system from the UK weather store on ebay ( item number 110680441123 ). I was near Sudbury so I called in to their office and collected it; very pleasant and helpful people, knew their subject and very efficient. I was on my way in no time. At £64.50, a better price than Maplin, and as a bonus it also has a radio controled clock.

A word of warning: all the Easy Weather stations use either 433 or 868Mhz radio links and thus are not 100% compatiable with each other although the external sensors are.

I now have spare external sensors which I can modify and improve at my leisure. I have not given up on finding a new sensor and will keep looking and email AGAIN the company in China.

Blue skies and light winds

Philip