Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Rain data errors

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
Billyboy
Weather Station: Maplin Gadget N96GY
Operating System: Windows 7

Rain data errors

Post by Billyboy »

My cumulus software is now working with the exception of rain stats which I see from previous threads is a fairly common problem. I have looked through the FAQ and read as many threads as poss but still can not zero my records to start again. I have looked on my C storage and have headings "backup,data,Diags,cumulus,debug and wxnow. Could somebody please take me step by step from here on to be able to ckear all erroneous past data to try to start again and if errors still occur I can the look at the rain module and it's siting etc. Thanks
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Rain data errors

Post by steve »

You can start again by deleting the contents of the data folder with Cumulus stopped.
Steve
Billyboy

Post by Billyboy »

I have cleared all rain entries from data but I still get 151mm rain shown for today and 312m m for the month even though we have had very little. I am lost now I'm afraid. May be I should go back to Easy weather as Cumulus is proving a bit difficult for me.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Billyboy wrote:I have cleared all rain entries from data
You deleted the contents of the data folder?
Steve
Billyboy

Post by Billyboy »

Yes in the data file I reduced all rain figures to 1 but still in the summary of all reports for year to date the erroneous rain figures still appear
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

So you didn't delete the contents of the data folder.

If you want to do this by editing the files, the monthly and yearly totals are calculated from the daily totals in dayfile.txt. Make sure Cumulus is stopped while editing files. Don't use Excel to edit the files.

If you want to correct today's total, you will need to edit today.ini. See http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/FAQ#My_sta ... it_to_zero
Steve
Billyboy

Post by Billyboy »

Can you tell me where I can find these files as I have no idea where they are
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

They are all in the 'data' folder inside the folder where you installed Cumulus.
Steve
Billyboy

Post by Billyboy »

The only subheadings in dsta are alltime, alltimelog notepad, Jan 11 log, and log - dayfile.txt and today ini are nowhere to be seen.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Billyboy wrote:The only subheadings in dsta are alltime, alltimelog notepad, Jan 11 log, and log - dayfile.txt and today ini are nowhere to be seen.
The first problem you have is that you still have the default setting in Windows where it hides file extensions, so you're not seeing the full filenames.

Next, it looks like you're using Windows 7 but have installed Cumulus under Program Files, instead of taking the recommendation to install under C:\Cumulus, which is why you can't find the files: http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/FAQ#I_can. ... a_files.21
Steve
Billyboy

Post by Billyboy »

At this point I give up - as I did put Cumulus into C as suggested but I am taking up a lot of your time and getting nowhere. I will return to Easyweather which although inferior in appearance was easier to understand as they speak english rather than IT speak. It's a pity because I was quite impressed with the thought of someone using their tech skill to meet an obvious market need and starting a business from what is a no doubt a beatiful but very remote place and I do like to support this sort of enterprise with some of the wealth I have accumulated over a lifetime in business, but it appears you still have a long way to go before it is user friendly for the hundreds of thousands of small weather station owners in the world. Thank you however for using your enterprise to earn an income in a remote setting. I have tried to remove most of my details from your forum but please remove any I might have missed.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

You are mistaken if you think this is a business I am running. It is actually costing me money to do what I do here. I (and others here) spend countless hours of our spare time helping people setting up their weather stations and web sites with no expectations of an 'income'.

You clearly have very little understanding of computers, but that's not a problem because so do many other Cumulus users; the difference with the others is that they have a little patience, a willingness to learn, and an ability to follow simple instructions and ask pertinent questions. Good luck with Easyweather, I'm sure it will meet your needs. I'm not sure what you're going to do when you need help with it, or your weather station, as you surely will at some point.
Steve
Synewave
Weather Station: Watson W-8681
Operating System: Raspian

Post by Synewave »

Billyboy wrote:At this point I give up - as I did put Cumulus into C as suggested but I am taking up a lot of your time and getting nowhere. I will return to Easyweather which although inferior in appearance was easier to understand as they speak english rather than IT speak. It's a pity because I was quite impressed with the thought of someone using their tech skill to meet an obvious market need and starting a business from what is a no doubt a beatiful but very remote place and I do like to support this sort of enterprise with some of the wealth I have accumulated over a lifetime in business, but it appears you still have a long way to go before it is user friendly for the hundreds of thousands of small weather station owners in the world. Thank you however for using your enterprise to earn an income in a remote setting. I have tried to remove most of my details from your forum but please remove any I might have missed.
Billyboy, you have completely misunderstood what Steve does here! He does this in his free time as a hobby. Any donations he gets goes towards hosting, software etc to develop Cumulus further. You may not understand some IT speak, but surely using this forum you can understand that Steve does this for nothing! And also there are a lot of members on here that are happy and able to talk in non-IT speak and they have demonstrated this very clearly. As Steve said, when your Station or Easyweather fails, there will not be the support like we all get here.
nitrx
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by nitrx »

I was looking for a inexpensive weatherstation then I found this forum and the software from Steve , the Cumulus software was a relief and I'm convinced that I should have thrown away my fine-offset when I had to collect my data with Easyweather, allthough some expressions in Englis are difficult to translate for me I'm very happy with Cumulus from Steve and the support on this forum and wiki.
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

Synewave wrote:And also there are a lot of members on here that are happy and able to talk in non-IT speak and they have demonstrated this very clearly.
Yes, there are a number of us on here who take pride in explaining things in non-IT speak. Personally, I have been involved in teaching new people when I was working in computers etc. And a few years ago, as a member of our local Women's Institute, I ran an "introduction to computers" course, for absolute beginners.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.