Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WH1080 Red light on Remote problem

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
dngood
Weather Station: WH1080

WH1080 Red light on Remote problem

Post by dngood »

My WH1080 weather station has been working reliably for about 18 months now, however the other day I failed to get any remote sensor readings on the indoor unit. I have changed batteries on the remote transmitter, but have noticed that the red light on the remote doesn't turn off after a short pause as it used to when I changed the batteries.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave.
Orion
Weather Station: WH1081 (Maplin)
Operating System: windows 10 64bit

Re: WH1080 Red light on Remote problem

Post by Orion »

1st Try another set of new batteries
2nd Check the solder joints on the TX unit
3rd Look for any cracked components
4th Ask Gina
After that looks like a new unit
dngood

Post by dngood »

Thanks. I have tried new batteries and have brought the unit in to check the joints. Thanks for the help so far.
Charlie
Weather Station: 1wire-Cumulus & Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Charlie »

Does the red light ever turn off? If it stays on and *never* goes off, I'd check solder joints around the crystal. If it stays on for a few minutes, it's probably a version with a time receiver hunting for a time signal. It needs to complete this activity, or time-out, before sending data.

Don't forget you need to reboot the indoor unit too before things will sync up. The boot order is important.
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

I'm "waiting in the wings" in case :lol: But TBH after all those checks I might be strugging.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
dngood

Post by dngood »

OK, I opened up the transmitter, cleaned up the circuitry a little (just with a rag), had a few more tries and was just about to give up, and then it suddenly started working!

I'll keep an eye on it, but it's been working for a few hours now so things are looking good for now.

Thanks for everone's help.

Dave.
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

Could be a dry joint - they can be intermittent. Anyway, it might be OK now, good luck :)
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
yungfil
Operating System: Win 10

Post by yungfil »

If it reoccurs change the watch crystal, although very reliable they do go occasionally. You can buy 5 for £1.30 on ebay. After doing any soldering clean the pcb with alcohol and spray with Servisol PCB seal.
BVG
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1080
Operating System: Linux

Post by BVG »

After one year without receiving data from my weather station (WH1080), I grab the transmiter and give it a try with fresh batteries.
The red LED is always ON.
Here's the video:
https://youtu.be/pnQTms3aTHM

What it can be?
Dry joints?
BVG

Post by BVG »

I measured the crystal on the transmitter, and the two crystals near the battery compartment are working correctly, 32.75KHz and 4MHz.
The other two crystals are not working well. Sometimes I have a read (wrong value anyway) or 0Hz.
Maybe the current is not passing to that part of the circuit.

AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

I don't think there are four crystals in the transmitter. The one in your red circle is for the carrier frequency of the Radio Controlled Clock (around 60 - 80 kHz) but should operate for only a short period (at startup and then "on the hour"). After inserting the batteries the RCC looks for a signal for several minutes, with the LED on for longer than the usual flash. Note that the RCC antenna is directional !

But the LED being on continuously is a common indicator of a faulty transmitter and I don't think that many have had any success in repair (perhaps because they don't have the technical ability), beyond the normal "dry it out" and clean up the PCB/contacts.

Cheers, Alan.
BVG

Post by BVG »

Where can I buy another transmitter?
Or is not worth the purchase?

Thanks.
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

It depends where you're located (I suspect not in the UK).

Stations more than about 3 years old use a different radio protocol, so you need to know which type to get. Also, Fine Offset use at least 3 different radio frequencies.

In UK, Maplin have sold the "new" 433 MHz transmitters for £15, but they don't have the RCC circuit (which AFAIK is not essential) and they don't know (technically) what they're selling! "Walters and Stanton" have more technical knowledge (and maybe stock) but at a higher price. Generally, I/we recommend to get a complete new station/kit when/if available "On Offer" (~£60).

Cheers, Alan.
BVG

Post by BVG »

AllyCat wrote:Hi,

It depends where you're located (I suspect not in the UK).

Stations more than about 3 years old use a different radio protocol, so you need to know which type to get. Also, Fine Offset use at least 3 different radio frequencies.

In UK, Maplin have sold the "new" 433 MHz transmitters for £15, but they don't have the RCC circuit (which AFAIK is not essential) and they don't know (technically) what they're selling! "Walters and Stanton" have more technical knowledge (and maybe stock) but at a higher price. Generally, I/we recommend to get a complete new station/kit when/if available "On Offer" (~£60).

Cheers, Alan.
I'm from Portugal.
I have mine for almost 6 years.
Yeah, maybe it's time to get a new one. I already looked for the ip weather station, that connects directly to WUnderground.

Thanks for the help.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

I already looked for the ip weather station, that connects directly to WUnderground
Be careful a lot of those weather stations do NOT work with Cumulus (assuming of course that is what you want it to do :) ).
David