Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WH3080/3081

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

WH3080/3081

Post by steve »

It seems Fine Offset have a new station. From the spec it looks like it will be compatible with Cumulus, but it adds a solar/UV sensor, so there's a bit of reverse engineering to be done to find out how to read that! The only place I can find so far actually selling them is on ebay.com.au.

http://www.foshk.com/Weather_Professional/WH3080.htm
Steve
Synewave
Weather Station: Watson W-8681
Operating System: Raspian

Re: WH3080/3081

Post by Synewave »

Hurry up Napkins and get it in stock! :o
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Post by daj »

I'm with Paul on this -- I want one

('Napkins' makes me chuckle every time -- iPhone predictive words are great! It's Maplin without an 's' anyway, so if you leave off the S you get the right name, but lets stick to Napkins) :lol:
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
wd40
Weather Station: WS2080
Operating System: W7

Post by wd40 »

I noticed this one has a frequency of 433mhz. The UK range is 600 something mhz isn't it?

Randy
nking
Weather Station: W-8681
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by nking »

wd40 wrote:I noticed this one has a frequency of 433mhz. The UK range is 600 something mhz isn't it?

Randy

In the UK it's 433mhz
Ned
Weather Station: WS2083 (aspirated)
Operating System: Win 10

Post by Ned »

Presumably the UV and illumination sensors are built into the solar panel thingy on top of the base unit - can't see any extra components in the photo. As Super-T has already mentioned, this requires mounting the unit in full sun, and given the very inadequate performance of the solar shield, results in seriously inflated temperature readings on sunny days. I ended up mounting my unit in a shaded location to get respectable temperature readings.
Should the solar panel not be relocatable (and I suspect not) then this not good design.
Super-T
Weather Station: wh-1081
Operating System: Weather Laptop - Windows 10 Pro

Post by Super-T »

Maybe some Kiwi Ingenuity required to relocate the Solar then. :-)
Going by experience with Solar garden lights I think it best to stick to replaceable batteries.
Ned

Post by Ned »

Agreed. The cost of a couple of alkalines maybe once a year is piffling compared to the grief a cheap solar charging system could cause after a couple of years.
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

I agree as well. I think it's just a sales ploy. Anyway, rechargeables don't last forever either. NiCds in particular don't like slow charge and (partial) discharge.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
robynfali
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by robynfali »

daj wrote:I'm with Paul on this -- I want one

('Napkins' makes me chuckle every time -- iPhone predictive words are great! It's Maplin without an 's' anyway, so if you leave off the S you get the right name, but lets stick to Napkins) :lol:

As the great Forrest Gump once said "That's all i have to say about that"
Station House
Operating System: Windows Vista

Post by Station House »

Hi All

Hope I haven't confused, but am presuming this is a solar charger with built in (small) battery rather than a solar/uv detector?

My Fine Offset system has this 'unit' on top of the transmitter unit - so far reliable but to be honest only 3 months in! Was purchased from a firm calling themselves the 'uk importer' for a very similar price to Maplins when they have their half price offers.

Was badged as the 'W8681 Mark III' but essential the standard Fine Offset Unit with the radio time signal clock and a separate box with the solar panel component.

Seller was Waters & Stanton - link attached http://www.wsplc.com/acatalog/Watson_Wi ... tions.html but currently showing as 'W8681 + Solar Powered Transmitter" - out of stock and some £20 more than I paid!

For those interested, delivery was next day.
Last edited by Station House on Thu 18 Nov 2010 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Station House wrote:Hope I haven't confused, but am presuming this is a solar charger with built in (small) battery rather than a soalr/uv detector?
These new models apparently have both. Whether it is one physical unit, and they are using the charging current for the solar data or something, I know not.
Steve
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
Station House
Operating System: Windows Vista

Post by Station House »

Very interesting - I should have read the unit specs more carefully :oops: In that case I'll join others in wanting one. If anyone finds it is available as a separate unit....or perhaps mine has the capability but not the decoder in the receiver?

From how my solar panel unit fits to the transmitter (plastic tube with retaining horizontal bolt), should not be too difficult Ned to extend the cable (it uses the standard telephone style connector as the other sensor cables to connect into the transmitter) and site separately in full sun to avoid the issues of an artifically high outside temperature being reported by the transmitter unit
Ned

Post by Ned »

Station House wrote: From how my solar panel unit fits to the transmitter (plastic tube with retaining horizontal bolt), should not be too difficult Ned to extend the cable (it uses the standard telephone style connector as the other sensor cables to connect into the transmitter) and site separately in full sun to avoid the issues of an artifically high outside temperature being reported by the transmitter unit
Thanks! Can you describe the nature of the battery/batteries used? NiCad/NiMH/Lithium ion? Solder connected? Still mounted in the base of the unit?
Cheers