Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Relative Humidity almost always 99%

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
NarrowAcres
Weather Station: 265NC National Geographic
Operating System: Windsow XP SP3

Relative Humidity almost always 99%

Post by NarrowAcres »

Maybe someone can help me. My weather station (National Geographic 265NC) almost always displays 99% relative humidity. I know this can't be the case as other stations around me are reporting lower RH.
I've only had it set up a few days in a temp. location that was only a foot off the ground, I thought that might have cause humid conditions because of the grass, so I raised it to about 6 feet, but no change in RH.
Thought?
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Relative Humidity almost always 99%

Post by steve »

What figures are the stations around you reporting? If you're certain that it's reading far too high, then it's most likely a faulty sensor, I think.
Steve
NarrowAcres

Post by NarrowAcres »

Looking at locations near me on wundermap, the 3 closest to me are at 73, 73 and 48 %
This is my Station on wunderground http://www.wunderground.com/swf/Rapid_F ... =IONESSEX2
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

That definitely looks like a faulty sensor to me.
Steve
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

My humidity sensor was showing 99% most of the time until I took the unit out of the near useless screen provided and put it in a much bigger Stevenson screen. Now, although 99% is common, it does go down to 60% ish at times of dry weather and a breeze.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
apenwith
Weather Station: w8681 BlakeLarsen Sun Recorder
Operating System: Windows 7 SP1

Post by apenwith »

Hi
I was getting 99% pretty much all of the time but I had to replace the transmitter for other reasons and the new one in exactly the same location/screen etc behaved more or less normally - so I would say - faulty unit.
Regards
Alan
NarrowAcres

Post by NarrowAcres »

I spoke with a Thermor rep. at the Home Hardware Show and they told me it was a faulty monitor unit. It's not receiving the radio signal correctly from the outside unit. It's a known issue with the 265. I'm to contact customer service tomorrow and they will send me a new unit by mail.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

NarrowAcres wrote:I spoke with a Thermor rep. at the Home Hardware Show and they told me it was a faulty monitor unit. It's not receiving the radio signal correctly from the outside unit. It's a known issue with the 265. I'm to contact customer service tomorrow and they will send me a new unit by mail.
Well, I guess they ought to know, but that doesn't sound right to me. If you're getting all of the other outside measurements correctly - which I assume you are, or you would have mentioned it - then I don't see how it can be a problem with radio reception. But I don't know anything about the radio transmission protocol on these things, so perhaps all of the data isn't sent together. But I guess you'll soon know one way or the other!
Steve
NarrowAcres

Post by NarrowAcres »

steve wrote:Well, I guess they ought to know, but that doesn't sound right to me. If you're getting all of the other outside measurements correctly - which I assume you are, or you would have mentioned it - then I don't see how it can be a problem with radio reception. But I don't know anything about the radio transmission protocol on these things, so perhaps all of the data isn't sent together. But I guess you'll soon know one way or the other!
Yeah, I thought the same thing, it must be one of the sensors outside, but as soon as I said my outside RH was 99%, she was saying, "oh, it's the touch screen monitor."
Calling them now...
NarrowAcres

Post by NarrowAcres »

Wow, I'm impressed. I called and the lady I spoke with said, "Oh, I was told you were going to be calling us. Just give us your information and we'll mail you out a new unit right away."
Fast, friendly service. Kudos to Thermor. I should get the new monitor early next week and hopefully my RH problem is solved.
DrMD
Weather Station: NC265
Operating System: XP

Post by DrMD »

If your problem is the same as mine replacing the consule will not help you.
Try unplugging the anemometer for a little while and see if the RH goes to something
more reasonable.
If that works for you then I wish I could offer you more help but I still have the problem
myself.
Gina

Post by Gina »

I think my humidity sensor has gone wrong this morning. A sudden drop. I'll have to investigate. Fortunately I have a spare tx/temp/humidity unit. Humidity plot attached...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
Gina

Post by Gina »

Strangely, it seems to have returned to normal.
24hrs-Humidity.png
Anyone have any idea of what could have caused that strange drop in readings?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gina

Charlie
Weather Station: 1wire-Cumulus & Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Charlie »

I have seen something similar when changing the batteries - almost like it has an initial value and then integrates many readings to build a "correct" answer over time. No power interruptions to the sensor unit that you are aware of?
Gina

Post by Gina »

I haven't touched the tx unit for some time other than to disconnect and reconnect the rain gauge. But that wasn't during the trouble period or even that day. I think I'm going to have to bring the unit indoors again and give it a good looking at. I have the temperature spikes back as well - for a week or so now.
Gina