Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Maplins USB Weather Forecaster (Fine Offset) - £69.99

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
iandrews
Weather Station: Davis Pro2
Operating System: Windows 2012R2

Maplins USB Weather Forecaster (Fine Offset) - £69.99

Post by iandrews »

Just a heads up in case someone is looking for one, another one, or one for parts. Maplins have reduced the price of their USB Weather Forecaster (Order Code: N96FY) to £69.99. This is a Fine Offset (model WH1081 I think).

Ian.
Synewave
Weather Station: Watson W-8681
Operating System: Raspian

Re: Maplins USB Weather Forecaster (Fine Offset) - £69.99

Post by Synewave »

That's a bargain, free UK delivery too!
nking
Weather Station: W-8681
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by nking »

In fact if you register with their newsletter you can get it for £66.99, I'm tempted for spares ;)

Code: N96FY
£69.99
(with voucher £66.99)
was £119.99 Save £50.00
Synewave
Weather Station: Watson W-8681
Operating System: Raspian

Post by Synewave »

nking wrote:In fact if you register with their newsletter you can get it for £66.99, I'm tempted for spares ;)
Me too, i have two systems, one in Brighton, one in France. A seagull has broken one of the cups on the anenometer in Brighton already.
videoman
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: vista

Post by videoman »

Hi guys
First time on the forum and new to all this weather watching and just wondered what everyone thought of this weather station and whether it is worth purchasing for a newbie.

I actually looked at one yesterday in my local Maplins but not knowing much about weather stations made it difficult to make an informed decision.

Look forward to your answers.

Thanks
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

Very interesting! :) As long as they are the exact same model, I could run 2 consoles off one outdoor unit and have one for my main system and the other for testing new software - either development of my own or testing Cumulus 2 (which I'd like to do).
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
pns1953
Weather Station: Watson 8681 (ie Fine Offset)
Operating System: Raspberry Pi with MX

Post by pns1953 »

Just to confirm - the station that Maplins have on offer is the WH1081 (ie no DCF clock sync) and not the WH1080 (which has the clock sync).
I bought one the other day after getting an assurance from the Maplins support line that the model was in fact the WH1080 but when I got it home I found it was the 1081 (the model number is clearly marked on the back of the receiver).
They were very apologetic but did subsequently confirm that F.O. had changed what they sold to Maplin without letting them know.
I did particularly want the 1080 so am going to get one from another source.
Phil
nking
Weather Station: W-8681
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by nking »

I wouldn't be too quick to discount the 1081 as some owners have had issues with the 1080 clock facility and I have personally found the 1081 clock to keep very good time :)
Gina

Post by Gina »

Several people have found the DCF clock more trouble than it's worth - trying to receive the clock signal and stopping transmission while it did it. NO I want the one WITHOUT the radio clock, thank you! I'm glad to have that confirmed :)
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

My original transmitter no longer works if it does get a DCF lock (it goes through the startup OK, but nothing after the 5 flashes, eventually the LED comes on permanently until I take the batteries out) - but does if it doesn't get a lock! Hopefully it will be replaced under warranty.
pns1953
Weather Station: Watson 8681 (ie Fine Offset)
Operating System: Raspberry Pi with MX

Post by pns1953 »

Yes I did wonder about that issue - but hopefully it will be OK, the likely position of the console is going to be propped up against a south-facing window. I guess it's too much to hope you can optionally disable the sync feature in the 1080!

If anyone is thinking of going for the Maplins offer and is near a store I'd suggest actually checking what's in the box before you walk away - I guess if they are selling off old stock there's always a possibility of some actually being the 1080 as was originally claimed.

I've found another supplier selling the 1080 as a Watson W8681 who is not far off my daily drag to work - I'm thinking that there might be a fair chance of something going wrong with this within the warranty period and it would be easier if I could take it back somewhere ... maybe I'm being too pessimistic!!
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

pns1953 wrote: maybe I'm being too pessimistic!!
Realisitic perhaps :? They are very definitely made to a price and the quality seems variable.
Gina

Post by Gina »

Just ordered my second station from Maplins :) Console for running on another PC with different software - rest can be for spares :)
Gina

Kent Weather
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: XP SP3

Post by Kent Weather »

Good day to you all - 1st post on here so no flaming the newbie please :P

I purchased this particular weather station from Maplin's Wednesday (WH1081) & tbh.. if you want a pretty basic but decent enough station that does all you need to it to - with the help of cumulus of course... and for £70? you cannot really complain.

The wind vane does seem a little light and appears to spin a little more then I would have thought it should but m'eh - I really am happy with my purchase.

Construction was simple enough and its now mounted on 2x 5ft poles - with the station mast itself its sitting pretty at 10ft high in my back garden. (even after sinking it into postcement 1-1.5ft deep)

I'm thinking the station MAY be picking up the temp to be warmer then it is but again - i can hardly complain or grumble.
http://kent-weather.co.uk
Registered SkyWarn-UK storm spotter.
Gina

Post by Gina »

Welcome to the forum and the Fine Offset brigade :) Read these forums and you'll find numerous pieces of advise on sighting the sensors and things you can do to improve accuracy and reliability. Many of the mods are posted in the Homebuilt forum. Good luck and enjoy your new kit :)
Gina