Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Extra Temperature Sensor

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
BigDave
Weather Station: Fine Offset
Operating System: W2K Server

Extra Temperature Sensor

Post by BigDave »

Hi All,

Newbie here, so sorry if this has been posted in the wrong place or is a repeat of a question already posed and answered, BUT

I have a Fine Offset station, with which I use Cumulus running on Windows Server 2000, and it works a treat. I would however REALLY like the ability to add an extra temperature sensor. Is there a cheap way that this could be achieved and the data fed into Cumulus for inclusion on graphs etc.

In theory, I could use a wired sensor direct to the PC's serial port but a wireless solution would be better if one is available.

FYI The reason I want this is that I'd like to put a sensor inside my greenhouse in order that I can be made aware of any high/low temperatures while they're happening.

I'd really appreciate any advice anyone can offer. Thanks in advance!

Dave
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Extra Temperature Sensor

Post by steve »

There are a number of obstacles to this as far as Cumulus is concerned. Firstly, you would have been better getting a weather station which supports extra sensors - which I think is all of the ones Cumulus works with other than the Fine Offset. Cumulus still has only basic support for extra sensors, so there's no graphing etc at the moment. But this should improve with time, and it's much easier for me to add and improve support for extra sensors rather than a completely separate system, which is what I think you'll be looking at.

If you do find a stand-alone system which I can easily add support for, then it can certainly go on the list of possible enhancements, but realistically in the short term I think you'll be looking at a stand-alone system not involving Cumulus, something like this, perhaps: http://www.oregonscientific.co.uk/cat-W ... ation.html

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful; perhaps someone else will have a better suggestion :(
Steve
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

Thanks Steve,

On the contrary. I think your response was VERY helpful. The Oregon device you suggest appears to be perfect for my needs, with the one shortcoming that Cumulus couldn't talk to it.

Without having seen the software that comes with this device it's hard to say, but I wondered if perhaps it used a text based logfile like EasyWeather does, perhaps Cumulus could sniff the data contained in it like Cumulus apparently used to.

Actually, for my purposes, if the Orgeon device does write a text logfile, I could simply link to a copy of that file on a website. Graphs are handy, but numbers would suffice for me.

Thanks once more for your quick response.

Dave
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It looks like this device (the RMS300) uses the same protocol as the WMR100/200, which is probably the next station on my list for adding support in Cumulus...
Steve
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

Thanks Steve,

I think I might see if anyone fancies buying me one for a late easter pressie then. Even without the ability to hook it into the fantastic Cumulus, it would still be handy. It's possible future addition would only be a bonus.

I guess though, even if Cumulus supported it, it wouldn't support more than one station at a time?? I guess I could get around that by virtualising a second "machine" on my computer and running seperate instances of Cumulus on each virtual machine but bleuah... too much hassle for the sake of my seedlings! :lol:

Thanks once more for you very prompt and comprehensive help.

Dave
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It would be possible to add support for multiple stations; but it would need some thought about how to handle the two sets of data. But it would be reasonably straightforward to support a device like this one, configured simply as extra sensors.

You can run two copies of Cumulus on the same machine (driving different stations) without using virtualisation, just install two copies to separate folders.
Steve
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

Aha, for some reason I assumed that running multiple instances of cumulus would cause problems (eg. with registry settings/data files to use). So I could in theory just buy myself another fine offset and use the thermo/hygro unit from it in my greenhouse?

Does anyone on here have an old fine offset unit which perhaps the anemometer and/or rain bucket is broken that they'd like to sell me?

Thanks once more Steve.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

BigDave wrote:Aha, for some reason I assumed that running multiple instances of cumulus would cause problems (eg. with registry settings/data files to use).
No, Cumulus doesn't use the registry, and it assumes the data folders are in the same place as the executable
So I could in theory just buy myself another fine offset and use the thermo/hygro unit from it in my greenhouse?
No, I don't think that would work (in the same instance of Windows), as there would be no way for Cumulus to distinguish between the two stations. But I don't know enough about how USB works to know whether the first copy of Cumulus to start up would get one station allocated to it, and the second would get the other. I think that both copies would recognise the first station and both try to drive that.
Steve
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

Good point!

Perhaps your original suggestion of the Oregon unit would be the best bet after all!
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

steve wrote:I think that both copies would recognise the first station and both try to drive that.
Yes, from what I know (which isn't that much) I agree. It seems in this case, an unfortunate property of USB is that the device is selected by the device ID rather than the USB port. Of course, in many cases this is what's wanted.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
sm0hxb
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH-1080
Operating System: Windows 7 64bit HP laptop

Post by sm0hxb »

Hi

Another possibility is that Cumulus would support 1-wire sensors.
I have a number of those that I use with another software, LogTemp.

Just a thought.

Göran
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

sm0hxb wrote:Another possibility is that Cumulus would support 1-wire sensors.
Yes, I've heard of those. It's possible that Cumulus will support those one day.
Steve
EvilV
Weather Station: Watson W-8261
Operating System: XP

Post by EvilV »

This might seem a bit wacky, but why not leave the Fine Offset console in the greenhouse, and use the 'Internal Temperature' feature to monitor your greenhouse temperature? You probably don't actually want to record the temperature of the inside of your house. I certainly don't.

If you have an old laptop with wifi on it (I have two), you could station that in the greenhouse too connected to the Fine offset USB and interrogate Cumulus remotely through your wifi router. That's what I do, except the Cumulus laptop and Fine Offset internal monitor are in a book case in my bedroom. The laptop sends the data to the Internet every few seconds and I keep an eye on Weather underground on my new netbook. http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstat ... =INEWCAST6

I also, use UltraVNC viewer and server software to remotely use Cumulus on the remote laptop. I haven't restarted that old laptop for weeks and it is working great. I don't think I even looked at it directly in the last seven days.

Just an idea that might save you a few pounds.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

Hi Evil,

Thanks for the suggestion. Nice "out of the box" thinking there, but unfortunately this isn't a goer for me for a couple of reasons:

1. I do use the internal temp and humidity readings taken indoors, I am performing a thermal efficiency study on the house at the moment, so I have a record of heat input from central heating (my intruder alarm is controlling this and keeping a log of when the thermostat is calling for heat, when that request is honoured and so on).
2. Putting either the fine offset base station or a laptop into the greenhouse would make both fail quite quickly. The environment in there is deliberately damp and humid. As soon as the outside air temp drops half a degree below the internal air temp, condensation begins forming. I'm certain that this would seriously shorten the life span. I did consider as an alternative moving the transducer within the base station to the greenhouse on a long pair of wires. Were it not for item 1 above, this might have been ok, but I'm not sure if it uses a thermistor or a serial temperature sensor. If serial (one wire) then no problems, if thermistor, I don't think that would be a goer either.

The quandary continues!

Dave
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

EvilV wrote:This might seem a bit wacky, but why not leave the Fine Offset console in the greenhouse, and use the 'Internal Temperature' feature to monitor your greenhouse temperature? You probably don't actually want to record the temperature of the inside of your house. I certainly don't.
Now that's an interesting idea, but from a different viewpoint in my case. We have an extension to the house which is really a lean-to greenhouse and which we use as a sun-lounge. It's reasonably close and in clear view from the transmitter unit. It's possible that I could move my console unit there and solve my signal problems (as I posted in another thread). I personally don't use the indoor temperature or humidity data and the barometer would work just as well. And I don't really need the console in an easy to see place.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.