Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Lost Sensor Contact!!

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
EvilV
Weather Station: Watson W-8261
Operating System: XP

Re: Lost Sensor Contact!!

Post by EvilV »

That isn't the first complaint about a bad USB cable I have seen. In another case a small scale manufacturer of software defined radios (using software and a computer to do a lot of digital processing of signals) had sent out a batch of hardware to purchasers only to have about four of them returned as faulty out of the twenty he had made, only to find it was the cheapo cables he had used, and not the main equipment at all.

software defined radio on the web. Scroll down and click in waterfall displays to see what it is about. http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

I see. Yes the supplied cable was certainly rubbish. The replacement is well screened with a layer if silver paper and then braid. The one supplied had no screening whatsoever.

Back in action! :) All working again. Now all I need to do is correct my data for the down period. It seems to think we had 3.5 metres of rain, at the time it went wrong!!! :lol:
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
EvilV

Post by EvilV »

Hope all the glitches were related to the same cause.
Gina

Post by Gina »

EvilV wrote:Hope all the glitches were related to the same cause.
They weren't!! :( Would've been nice if they'd disappeared but there's been one since I got it going again. I've cleared the false data from when the station was off-line. Result below...
24hrs-Temperature-5.png
EDIT... The console in now on the floor next to the computer. I think the signal strength is alright - I don't think that was the problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
Gina

Post by Gina »

Here is a temperature plot over the last 5 days.
120hrs-Temperature.png
I thought there was a pattern but perhaps not.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gina

bruce45
Weather Station: wh1081
Operating System: windows 10

Post by bruce45 »

could this have anything to do with the operating system that you are using doing other things causing the problem. never used linux so could be talking out of the top of my head. maybe Steve could confirm if it is possable?
Gina

Post by Gina »

bruce45 wrote:could this have anything to do with the operating system that you are using doing other things causing the problem. never used linux so could be talking out of the top of my head. maybe Steve could confirm if it is possable?
Thanks for your suggestion but the only scheduled event is the weather station process so while this could be possible when I'm doing other things on this computer, there is nothing that could do it when I'm not.
Gina

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with Linux. Cumulus users get this problem under Windows just the same as Gina gets it with her own software under Linux, so it's pretty certain that it's some sort of design problem with the station.
Steve
Super-T
Weather Station: wh-1081
Operating System: Weather Laptop - Windows 10 Pro

Post by Super-T »

Gina
I had to re-solder the socket on to the pcb as there wasn't enough heat supplied on the original soldering.
Had same intermittent connection problems but not spikes.
simonvfr
Weather Station: Maplin-WatsonW8681-Fine Offset

Post by simonvfr »

Sympathy for you! These intermittent problems are the most frustrating!!

Just one thought - surely this can't be signal strength related, because this would lead to flat lines not spikes? A spike seems to indicate false data being transmitted or received or generated after reception. Weak signal would give no data and the 'lost sensor contact' error.

I've been astonished at the range and penetration of the signal with the Fine Offset. In my case some 25 metres, through two walls (one of which is 90cm thick stone and rubble).
Simon

Llama weather from central France
Charlie
Weather Station: 1wire-Cumulus & Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Charlie »

Hi Simon. Actually, false data is quite common. I believe the transmitted data does not contain any sort of error checking mechanism - not even something as trivial and easy to implement as a checksum. However, as it stands, it's not unusual to, every few weeks, have the station reporting hundred degree temperature swings within a few seconds, feet of rain sometimes even negative, and hurricane force winds. It's a minor annoyance, and fixable by editing the data although inconvenient to do so.

What is strange is that the problem will go away for months, appear for a couple weeks, then go away again. If we could tie it to a root cause, we could likely resolve the issue. Intermittent problems are every geeks nightmare. :ugeek:
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Post by daj »

A timely reminder that there are an entry that can be included in the cumulus.ini file to help ignore huge swings in readings.

EWTempdiff=x.y

http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/Cumulus.ini

Just for the FineOffset/Easy Weather stations

I have an enhancement request in for rain and pressure reading too
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
simonvfr
Weather Station: Maplin-WatsonW8681-Fine Offset

Post by simonvfr »

Charlie wrote:Hi Simon. Actually, false data is quite common.
I understand the possibility of false data - all I was suggesting, in trying to pin down a cause, was that weak signal would seem more likely to produce flat lines than spikes. It's a shame that there's no way of directly testing signal strength!
Simon

Llama weather from central France
jensdk
Weather Station: Rosenborg 68750/WH 1090
Operating System: windows xp SP3

Post by jensdk »

Hi everybody

I have been having troubles with the values reported from my console to Cumulus:
I had removed the batteries from the console, since it is connected to the USB-port and gets the needed power from there. Everything seemed ok until I turned my pc off and the console of course went out. I started my pc and the console started too, but the first set of readings were very odd, -22C and about 1060 hpa, when real temp was 2C and pressure was 1010hpa. After a few seconds Cumulus got the right values from the console and everything was normal, except for my today.htm and records.htm :evil:

I learned from this that I always need to have well functioning batteries in the console to avoid powering off the console. Maybe it could be a problem with the contacts in the console resulting in the glitches.

Just a thougt.... ;)

I have now installed Cumulus as a service, and configured windows to reboot once every 24 hours and everything has been working fine for about 2 months.
EvilV

Post by EvilV »

simonvfr wrote:
Charlie wrote:Hi Simon. Actually, false data is quite common.
I understand the possibility of false data - all I was suggesting, in trying to pin down a cause, was that weak signal would seem more likely to produce flat lines than spikes. It's a shame that there's no way of directly testing signal strength!
There is if you have a receiver that will operate on the required frequency. Such things are pretty expensive for the occasional check though.