Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX release 3.16.1 (build 3183) - 06 May 2022

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

If you are interested in supporting Cumulus then maybe you would like to contribute to the maintenance of the Wiki? This need not take hours of your time - just a half hour here and there can make a big difference, particularly if many people are doing this. Any contributions are very welcome, whether they involve new content or editing of existing content. It will be very helpful to current and future users of Cumulus software if the Wiki is kept well-maintained and current. If you are interested then please contact forum user saratogaWX and ask for a Wiki account.

Watson W-8681 Mk2 create remote anemometer

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
oldpilot
Weather Station: fineoffset WH1080
Operating System: XP /Linux

Watson W-8681 Mk2 create remote anemometer

Post by oldpilot »

Fine Offset, Watson W8681 MkII v Mk I sensors.
When my Mk I base station died I hoped to use my customised (with extension cables) Vane & anemometer with the mkII console, I couldn't find a replacement mk I. There are problems with this because although console seems very similar & works with Mk I transmitter for its internal sensors, the rain & wind reed switch system has been replaced with Hall sensors in a cunning arrangement of just a magnet on the vane feeding two analogue sensors at 90 degs plus a hall sensor instead of the anemometer reed switch and otherwise just an empty board with output being decoded in the transmitter.
If any one has a similar problem I am using an extension cable between the wind unit & transmitter as I don't want the supplied combination up an 8m pole. The extension lead uses a 15m 6 core screened cable with a pair of 4pin 1.5mm JST connectors each end, from main transmitter board ribbon cables sockets to the wind vane anemometer vane unit terminating in the existing 2 JST sockets on the wind vane board. The centre pins of J1 seem to be unused, so screen (GND) + 5 cores is sufficient.
The vane now reliably reports 16 compass points and the anemometer gives plausible wind speeds away from local turbulence.
The plug connections on the vane PCB are:left to right from the socket side
assuming stripe on ribbons indicates pin 1

J2 1 Anemometer via J3 pin 1
2 Vane Vcc
3 Analogue Vane IC T3 out
4 ditto T4 out
J1 1 GND
2,3 unconnected lands
4 Anemometer via J3 pin 2 (pin3 is common GND)
The wind unit has an obvious bolt to release it from the main body. The windvane has a bayonet style lock and a tiny ST locking screw in the entry spigot.
If anyone is interested I can provide annotated pics.