Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

W-8681-SOLAR no outdoor temp/humidity/wind readings

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
kodi
Weather Station: w-8681
Operating System: Win XP SP3

W-8681-SOLAR no outdoor temp/humidity/wind readings

Post by kodi »

I have this station for a few years now. Some time ago I noticed that there is no temperature/humidity displayed (-- on the console screen). It was working previously. I manually reconnected the console to the transmitter, I'm getting the Lux readings (which even are close to the other sensors I have) but cannot get the outside temp/humidity/wind values.
I would really appreciate any pointers.
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: W-8681-SOLAR no outdoor temp/humidity/wind readings

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,
kodi wrote: Thu 22 Jul 2021 10:01 am ... I manually reconnected the console to the transmitter, ....
These stations use two totally separate transmissions for Temp/Hum/Wind/Rain and for Solar data, with different "source addresses" and timing periods (48 and 60 seconds). They use the same radio hardware (so that seems to be working correctly) but both must be reset or "reloaded" (so that the Console "expects" to receive the data packets at the correct times). I believe those Consoles don't have a "Reset" function as such, so you probably need to remove the batteries AND unplug the USB cable (if used) for about a minute.

If that doesn't work, then try the same for the transmitter, i.e. Remove the batteries, Unplug the Solar Pod (from the "Rain" socket) and if possible, also shade the central "Solar Panel" from daylight for a minute. If it still doesn't work, then we may have to assume that the "Transmitter" (microcontroller or temp/humidity sensor) is faulty. The (dim) Red LEDs in the Transmitter and the Pod may give a clue.

Cheers, Alan.
caerhays
Weather Station: Watson W8681
Operating System: Windows 10 Home

Post by caerhays »

Hi, I have a W-8681 (non solar) which performed perfectly for 30 months then started failing to transmit the outside data to the console. It only seemed to do so when the relative humidity rose above 90%. It got progressively worse until the missing data rendered it unusable.
I took the main outside transmitter apart and looked at the circuitry. The small main circuit board showed signs of deterioration of a coat of varnish or sealant that had been applied in manufacture. This was de-coupling from the board and may have been allowing moisture to become trapped between solder points allowing short circuits to occur.
I carefully scraped off the layer and cleaned the board with methylated spirits. Having put the transmitter back together and placed the station back on its pole it is now working faultlessly and the relative humidity is 96% currently. If I had some clear silicone sealant I would have coated the board with this to seal it from moisture, which I still may do if I get some soon.

Might be worth a close look at your circuit board in the transmitter. Mine had 6 click fasteners holding it very tightly together (I thought it was glued) which can be carefully prised apart to open it up.

Cheers, Phil
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

caerhays wrote: Wed 10 Nov 2021 8:38 pm If I had some clear silicone sealant I would have coated the board with this to seal it from moisture, which I still may do if I get some soon.
Do not use normal domestic silicone sealant for this - it produces acetic acid during the curing process (you can smell it) that will do your board no good at all! You can buy silicone sealant that is designed for electronics, that should be safe to use. Or spray it with a new waterproof conformal coating designed for circuit boards.