Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WH3080 upgrade?

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
g0gcd
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH3080 (Solar)
Operating System: Windows 7

WH3080 upgrade?

Post by g0gcd »

Hi,
I've been using the wh3080 for nearly a decade now, and have got quite used to its quirks. I have a bag of spares as well (it's actually been three stations over that period)
I'm looking for a replacement that is:
Cumulus compatible
Data logs in event of the pc being down for maintenance
Records the basics plus solar intensity and if
Sub £500

The HP2550 clone does the weather station bit but seems a little difficult to use in terms of the computing end. Any suggestions/ pointers?

If I could get one, I'd be very happy to replace with a fourth WH3080!

Take care, stay safe
John
www.nn14.co.uk
ptb
Weather Station: FO3083 and VP2
Operating System: Win 11

Re: WH3080 upgrade?

Post by ptb »

Hello from a fellow NN14 resident (E of Kettering)
Try Ecowitt or Aercus websites. They seem to be rebadged FO models
I've been searching for quite a while however, and the choice of models that work with a PC are now few and far between as far as I can see and even then when a model is found is often not in stock
I have the same thoughts as you. I like keeping data files "local" rather than uploading directly to the internet for primary storage.
The logger is also a must in all cases to cover for PC issues or in the event I am forced into a wi-fi only model then the logger can cover for internet connectivity failure
g0gcd

Post by g0gcd »

Hi PTB,
Thanks for the pointer. I seem to have drawn a blank on the Aercus site... just starting on the Ecowitt range.
I was curious to see that the Aercus range is on 433MHz - as a radio ham, that is a conflict. I thought that most 'modern' kit used 868MHz!
Also curious to see that the WS3085, which seemed to be nearest to mine, says in the manual that it is not designed for continuous connection to the PC. Is that why the earlier FO stations suffered with unreliable USB connections I wonder.
It's looking like I'm going to have to upgrade my budget a bit. The only other comparable unit seems the be the Davis one, which is not cheap to start with and then needs an additional data logger/interface. Perhaps time to give up weather watching and take up yachting or racing car driving as they might be cheaper!
Still looking... who knows, there might be a secondhand WH3080 console out there... the only problem I've currently got is that the internal temperature sensor is not reading right and that spares are impossible to find...
take care, stay safe
Best wishes
John (Rothwell)
ptb

Post by ptb »

Can't say I know much about radio frequencies, but I used to run a LaCrosse 2300 - in fact still have it as a backup. That won't connect to Cumulus but at least works as a back up when....when I go on holiday. That's on 433mhz as is a wireless doorbell I have too.
I am currently running an FO clone badged as Excelvan 3080 which is on 868mhz connected to an old windows xp laptop which is on 24/7. That's no longer available either I purchased it four years ago and was intending to buy aercus which looked the same - but then this one came up on internet looked identical packaging and spec at about half the price.
Have to say it works well with cumulus but at 4 years old I too am on the look out for a replacement. Davis look good until you add in the logger then they become expensive in my eyes, and there still seem to be a lot of folks who have a lot of problems. whether that is because there are a lot of problems or the majority use them I don't know.
I'm tempted with the all in one sensor arrays products that are now available (currently run separates) but then if one fails the whole lot is basically a write off. As you say at least with separates individual failures can be replaced easily. So much seems to be web based these days but living in the sticks as I do, if the internet goes down (fortunately rarely) it is usually off for a week, which is a lot of lost data when I've got a continuous set of between 10 and 30 minute intervals worth of data since 2003
Good luck with your hunting and if successful post on here - I'll do likewise

Paul (Woodford)
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Davis look good until you add in the logger then they become expensive in my eyes, and there still seem to be a lot of folks who have a lot of problems.
Yes Davis is higher than some others but depending what you want or want to do there is an VP2 or VUE ISS and the WLL option without the console and no further logger needed. This can upload to WL.com as well as works well with CumulusMX.
https://www.davisinstruments.com/collec ... antage-vue

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

ptb

Post by ptb »

Thanks Paul
Useful info re the Davis - must admit i thought logger was needed for all - will re-evaluate.
Anyone know anything about Youshiko range - seems to a be a wide range of functionality in different models?
g0gcd

Post by g0gcd »

Thanks Paul, info much appreciated.

The Davis range is very confusing to me. I'm sure that it's all logical to someone!

As my current console is out of sight, so I'm not sure that I need a fancy display unit to clutter the living room (and annoy my wife!). I'm thinking that the Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (includes the solar instruments), driving a WeatherLinkLive IP unit, linked via ethernet to Cumulus will get my FO WH3080 replaced. Any experience in handling the solar data - is this a supplementary sensor as far as Cumulus is concerned or does it 'just work' ?

I note that I could replace the WH3080 ten times over for the cost of the Davis unit - pity they aren't available any more !

Hi PTB,
I have an opportunity to treat myself to a new toy, so I'm thinking that a Davis might be in reach. I haven't found anything yet that might replace all of the functionality of the WH3080 in the same budget range. Hopefully, the reliability will match the investment! I'll continue to keep you posted..

John
ptb

Post by ptb »

John
With solar on the 2080 and cumulus it's just a case of selecting FO with light sensor
I note there are two Davis stations listed in Cumulus - Vantage View, and Vantage Pro2/Vue
May need to be experimental or of course I'm sure there must be a Davis thread that covers this topic somewhere on this board.
Hope it goes well! I used to be a real tech geek but nowadays, I find new tech and the implementation of new tech be it a new phone, tv, computer etc leaves me "cold" and it often sits in the box for a week or two whilst I pluck up courage to unwrap!! (I was given a basic smart speaker for Christmas last year - still to see the light of day!). I must be getting old.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

These Ecowitt Weather Stations are supported by CumulusMX and are equivalent to your old WH3080 plus they support other sensors. https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/page/9F ... ?ingress=3
David
ptb

Post by ptb »

Thanks David
Do you use any of them - certainly plenty of options there

Paul
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

Others on the Forum certainly do and some people have used a GW1100 gateway to add extra sensors.

I have just bought a GW1100 gateway and it works well, just deciding which of the weather stations to buy as my WH1080 (Maplin) is gradually dying!!
David
g0gcd

Post by g0gcd »

Just to close this thread down, my solution is quite conservative:

Keeping (for now) Cumulus 1
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus, for sensors and the 'pretty' console
Davis Vantage Vue console and WeatherLink USB logger, for hidden console, local data buffer and PC connection

I could have bought 14 new Fine Offsets for this investment but I'm really hoping for an end to the FO's notorious USB link failure.

Many many thanks for all your patience and help

John G0GCD
www.nn14.co.uk
ptb

Post by ptb »

That's quite an investment, I'm still undecided so sticking with my FO for now
Looking at your website I see you've logged some of your problems - whilst I do have USB failures, they are no where near as frequent as yours.
Like some of your rainfall records, I too have had corrupted data - probably my biggest "pain" at present.