Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WH1080 playing up again

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
Doncaster
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: Raspberry PI

WH1080 playing up again

Post by Doncaster »

For the last few days, I've been getting dodgy readings. All the external ones are wrong, but internal temperature is ok as assume it's something to do with the transmitter.

I've changed batteries in the base unit and transmitter but still no joy.

I only replaced the anemometer last year - I don't really want to start replacing too many other bits if everything else is on its last legs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: WH1080 playing up again

Post by mcrossley »

Please switch on debug and data logging, let it run for a few hours or more, then zip up and attach the MXdiags folder.
Doncaster

Post by Doncaster »

Done!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Super-T
Weather Station: wh-1081
Operating System: Weather Laptop - Windows 10 Pro

Post by Super-T »

Perhaps check inside the transmitter for corrosion as this is the most exposed item and the casing is not exactly waterproof so could get some dampness inside.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

I can't see any logs with debug and data logging switched on, but they do show either the console is constantly reporting "sensor contact lost", "data input has stopped" - the latter implying the station is no longer communicating, but that would the logging options switched on to look into further.
Doncaster

Post by Doncaster »

I did switch them on - honestly guv!

Will give it another go though.
Doncaster

Post by Doncaster »

I've just turned it on, rebooted and it's turned itself back off
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

Switch it on but don't restart. That should do it. Or stop MX, add the following in the [Station] section of Cumulus.ini, and restart.

Code: Select all

Logging=1
DataLogging=1
Freddie
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

freddie wrote: Wed 21 Apr 2021 4:30 pm Switch it on but don't restart. That should do it. Or stop MX, add the following in the [Station] section of Cumulus.ini, and restart.

Code: Select all

Logging=1
DataLogging=1
Just be aware that that will switch them on permanently, you will need to stop MX, and edit Cumulus.ini again to disable the logging.

Another alternative to just switch on for the current "run" of MX and is useful if you need to catch an error in the start-up process is to run MX with the -debug command line parameter.

> CumulusMX.exe -debug
or
> mono CumulusMX.exe -debug
Doncaster

Post by Doncaster »

I'm just having another battery replace, just to make sure I've not put in some duds.

I've opened the transmitter and tried to clean any corrosion.

One thing I've noticed is that as per my original photo, the alarm icons are showing on the base unit. I've never noticed these before. Could that be an indication that there's something wrong with that?
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

corrosion may not be just on the surface but under the PCB. WH1080's dont tend to last long due to the lack of protection they have to the outside.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

Doncaster

Post by Doncaster »

Latest update - I left the batteries out of the base unit overnight. Put them back in, plugged it back into my RPI and the Cumulus software appears to 'know' the outside details, even though the base unit still shows them as blank. Also, the inside temperature is wrong too.
zoomx
Weather Station: Froggit GW1000
Operating System: Windows-Linux

Post by zoomx »

My WH1080 transmitter died for water intrusion. Red Led is working, I see a signal in radio band 868MHz with an usb SDR dongle but the console shows no data.
I cleaned the PCB but had no result.
Cortmalaw
Weather Station: Davis
Operating System: Raspbian

Post by Cortmalaw »

Doncaster wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 10:30 am I've opened the transmitter and tried to clean any corrosion.
I always found the outdoor hardware very robust - 10 years+ with nothing more than batteries and occasionally clearing cobwebs from the rain gauge. But I managed to break indoor units.
Therefore I have a generous supply of outdoor spare parts - 2 complete setups [1 used, 1 still boxed] except the indoor base stations. If you (or anyone else) need anything, send me a private message. Yours for the price of the postage + small charity donation.

Note that the transmitters came in several different variants so cannot be sure mine would match your base station. I have noted on them that they did not pair to my 433.9 MHz indoor base station, so am guessing they must be 868 MHz version.
Doncaster

Post by Doncaster »

After moving house and clearing garages, I seem to have a big box of spares. In there is a a WH1081 base unit along with some sort of transmitter but can't get any of it to talk to anything..