Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Rain gauge stopped working

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
Lanzalot
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080
Operating System: Win XP SP3

Rain gauge stopped working

Post by Lanzalot »

WH 1081 - only 3 weeks old. Pole mounted on roof. Not able to safely get up to it until it stops raining :D so no idea why at the mo.

It been raining on and off since 0600 (prob c.5mm - guess) but station showing 0.00 today. I have a feeling it has been underreading since new but cannot be sure.

Anyone any ideas? Or had similar problem? :?

PS. Just restarted Cumulus (1.8.7) to force it to download data from station and it immediately showed a total of 0.3mm for today (still far too little)
Lanzarote - Canary Islands - not bad as climates go!
Website - www.proseq.eu/weather/index.htm
Repairman77
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: XP pro SP3

Re: Rain gauge stopped working

Post by Repairman77 »

Hi, a couple of things you can check.

First take off the lid and check for spiders, etc. They seem to like to live in there and can jam it from working. (You need to make a cover from dressmakers net to keep them out).
Manually move the see-saw up and down and see if it registers on the console.

Then check the leads are plugged in securely.

If you have no luck there may be a fault with the unit.

Let us know how you get on and if you cure the problem.

Mike.
Retired Radio and Electronics Engineer residing in Cambridgeshire, UK.
Lanzalot

Post by Lanzalot »

Thanks for that Mike. Got up to it and could not find anything blocking it. The top holes seemed to have water across them (surface tension maybe) and it emptied as soon as encouraged a few large drops down the chute. Ran some water from a jug through in dribs and drabs and it emptied every time :? Also registered on console correctly each time within 1 min. So not really sure what was going on.

I will investigate to netting protection from spiders, etc as you suggest.

Cheers.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Could it be that as you have it mounted on the roof, the wind is preventing the rain from settling in the rain gauge properly? The sides on the collector are very shallow.
Steve
Lanzalot

Post by Lanzalot »

Yes very possible Steve. The pole is only 3ft high and on the corner of a flat roof (I know further from roof would be better) with a small (c.1ft) parapet. The danger is that mounting the rain gauge ON the flat roof (with the existing cable) the parapet might protect the gauge if the wind is in the wrong direction. I could always extend the wire of course to move the gauge right away from edge of roof. I may tackle this once I have painted the roof (next urgent job!)
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

... The pole is only 3ft high and on the corner of a flat roof ...
Is it "overhanging" the flat roof ?

I notice that you have had significant persistent wind. It is possible that updraft through the drainage holes has been strong enough to prevent light rain from falling through the funnel.
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
skyewright
Weather Station: WMR200+928>RFXCOM>Meteohub

Post by skyewright »

Lanzalot wrote:The danger is that mounting the rain gauge ON the flat roof (with the existing cable) the parapet might protect the gauge if the wind is in the wrong direction.
Depending on how far from the parapet you can get the gauge that might not be such a bad thing.

Obviously you want to avoid an actual "shadow", but beyond that wind can be "A Bad Thing" for rain gauges. In addition to beteljuice's good point about possible up draughts, strong horizontal wind can cause rain to be blown over the gauge. Some windy sites take measures to calm the wind around rain gauges (e.g. see the bit about a turf wall in section 5.6 on this page). I also remenber reading a study of the relationship between rain gauge height and under reading, but I can't find the reference at the moment.

One of the things I didn't like about the Davis VP2 design was the combined rain gauge & temp/hum sensor, so I got a spare rain gauge base (much cheaper than I expected!) which allows the unit to be split and the rain gauge placed down at 300mm rim height.

A thing to watch out for if you do place the gauge on the roof is splashing - you might want to do something with the adjacent surface to reduce that?
Regards
David

simonvfr
Weather Station: Maplin-WatsonW8681-Fine Offset

Post by simonvfr »

I found that internal application of WD40 has discouraged the spiders and earwigs that stopped my gauge from working. And external application in the shallow funnel has much reduced the tendency for water to collect there rather than running through as intended.
Simon

Llama weather from central France
Lanzalot

Post by Lanzalot »

No its not overhanging. Its fixed to the inner corner of the parapet. So I dont think thats likely. Good suggestion tho. Thx

No rain today - and a very pleasant 20.5 C at the mo - so will have to wait till more to know if it was a glitch or an ongoing problem.

Thx re the advice on protecting from the wind using the parapet. Makes sense. I will choose right position once the roof is painted (couple weeks) so it can be permanent.

Also noted re the WD40. The water was beading on the gauge ramp (not good - would prob evaporate quickly here with wind + sun often comes out hard on heels of a shower!). Will do that now.

Thx to all for the help. ;)
Semmy
Weather Station: WMR200
Operating System: Win 7 64bit

Post by Semmy »

There is also a product I use on my motorcycle visor that would achieve the same aim, it is called Rain-X. Easy enough to source as most Halfords stock it.

http://www.rainx.co.uk/products2.php
"This is the way freedom ends...Not with a bang, not even with a whimper... but with the soft click of a channel being changed." - RTFQ 2006

Website - http://www.semmyconcious.co.uk
Sneezy24

Post by Sneezy24 »

Had a similar problem on my unit, found a 'dry' joint on the reed switch that senses the bucket tipping. Blob of solder did the trick!