Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Rain Gague Accuracy

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
arthurhh
Weather Station: Davis VP pro 2
Operating System: Win7

Rain Gague Accuracy

Post by arthurhh »

I have a FOHK 1081 which I have been evaluating for a little project.

I have all the sensors mounted on the cross arms provided and it works quite well (given the already known issues with the wind vane)

My problem is the unit appears to be over reporting rainfall by %50. I matched it against my main station which I was happy was accurate initially, then I got a Nylex 1000 main rain gauge to check and yep over reading it is.

Anyone else experienced this?

I will move the rain sensor down to the location of my Main station and manual rain gauge to see if it might be a vibration issue, aside from that any other ideas.
http://tokoroa.dyndns.org/ Main Site

IT Fixer
harrym1byt
Weather Station: WH 1081 (EasyWeather type)
Operating System: Win10

Re: Rain Gague Accuracy

Post by harrym1byt »

I fancy the errors produced by the rain gauges location, will make a larger difference than any errors in the actual mechanism. Too be sure of proper location, the gauge really needs to be out in the open, clear of buildings, over hanging trees and with shelter from the effects of the wind. It also needs to be mounted so that wind cannot shake the gauges buckets producing false counts.

Its actual accuracy can be easily checked by working out the gauges funnel cross section and very slowly dripping 2" x (cross section) worth of water into it, then checking the result.

Cumulus does allow for some adjustment for errors in input.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Typically, TBRs tend to under-read, particularly in heavy rain. Also, putting them up off the ground, which is where they tend to be with 'hobby' weather stations makes them under-read even more (due to wind etc). So, for yours to be over-reading suggests to me that changing its location isn't going to help.

Calibrating it as Harry suggests is a good idea. With both of the rain gauges I've owned (Oregeon Scientific and Davis) it is possible to adjust the tipping mechanism - I wonder if the Fine Offset gauges have something like that (even if it isn't documented)?
Steve
arthurhh

Post by arthurhh »

Yes the over read is puzzling. FOHK is a very small TBRG and I expected a certain lack of accuracy due to this as everyone has said on the under reading side.

Currently the TBRG is on the supplied cross arms (I want to make it simple as possible for my intended users to set up) and mounted on a pole attached to my main station gallows. There is no wind effect (other than the TBRG being higher than the other gauges) No vibration issues as it doesn't record any rain when it it is only windy.

I will move it down to the lower gallows on my main station tomorrow at Met Day roll Over (9am NZ) and see what happens when it is in the same location as my std gauge (La Crosse) and my manual gauge.

The prelim tests indicated exactly %50 percent over read 15mm for actual of 10mm sort of suggests some issue with the counting/measuring side of things.

IT Fixer
harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

There is no mechanical adjustment that I could see. I think I recall reading something about a fault on a similar cheap system with an identical TBRG where the reed switch contact was 'delaminating' - a whisker of metal had come of the reed making it produce multiple counts for each tip of the buckets. If this is the case, they are easy and cheap to replace (few pence from Maplins).
arthurhh

Post by arthurhh »

Maplins ? oh yeah hang on i will just whip out the plastic and get a ticket to visit them, opps not so fast $2500 one way thats a bit steep :)

Okay tounge out of cheek. second run didnt produce the same results different error percentage so it may yet be both a position issue and a mechanical issue

IT Fixer
philcdav
Weather Station: MyDEL WX2008 Mk2 Fine Offset
Operating System: XP and W7

Post by philcdav »

Morning guys.

Am also getting some odd " high "rain readings.

Am sure its NOT due to rain.

My best guess is that its down to wind blowing the 'buckets' about.

In an effort to stop spider access i have fitted some light fibre mesh across the rain outlets. This has stopped the spider ingress but doesnt seem to have stopped some dodgy rain readings.

If strong winds can whip the buckets about it may be that some form of external baffle may help.

Regards - Phil (G0DOR - Liverpool)
Phil - G0DOR
Namrof
Weather Station: WS1081

Post by Namrof »

I had a problem with my gauge over-reading due to wind.

Fixed it by covering 95% of the open base of it with duct tape. Just left some space for 'drainage out' rather than 'gale in'.

No problems since

Cheers - Phil
Gebbies Valley, NZ
harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

I have had no false rain recorded by the display, but lots of problems in the past with EW's false rainfall. My guage is mounted low down on the pole and in the shelter of an out building.
arthurhh

Post by arthurhh »

Mine is definitely not a wind issue, when I get a few minutes and its dry I will pull it apart and see whats what. I get no readings on windy days with no rain so it isn't getting blown around or vibrated.

IT Fixer