Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Can Cumulus software be used to calibrate hygrometer of WS-1080?

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
lytleric
Weather Station: WS-1080
Operating System: Windows 10

Can Cumulus software be used to calibrate hygrometer of WS-1080?

Post by lytleric »

Hello all, new to this forum and this is my first post. Here's my situation:

I have an Ambient Weather WS-1080 that has worked reliably for years. Yesterday I noticed on the console that the outside humidity reading was blank (shown as two dashes: -- ). Here is a picture:

I tried cycling the power by removing the batteries and USB cable and reinstalling, but that didn't help. Then I contacted Ambient Weather tech support to ask if there are any troubleshooting steps I could take. I explained it wasn't an issue with the signal from the sensor being dropped, because all the other readings were coming through as normal. Of course Ambient Weather support responded back with instructions on how to reset the console when the signal isn't being received.

Today the humidity reading is back, but I compared my station's historical humidity data uploaded to Wunderground.com with other nearby weather stations and it is anywhere from 10 to 30 percentage points lower. During the times when it was blank on my display, I think it was reading relative humidity below the limits of the sensor (10% RH) and therefore coming up blank. (Other nearby stations were reporting RH percentages in the 20s.) My guess is that after almost a decade, my hygrometer is just wearing out and may need to be replaced.

So I contacted Ambient Weather again, and was told that Cumulus software can be used to calibrate the humidity reading. And that's my question: Can I somehow use Cumulus to recalibrate the reading that gets shown on my console display? Or is it only possible to adjust the reading once the data is downloaded to a server or some other device (meaning my display will always be inaccurate)?
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Can Cumulus software be used to calibrate hygrometer of WS-1080?

Post by mcrossley »

It is only possible to alter the value after it is read by Cumulus, it will not fix your display unit problem.
lytleric

Post by lytleric »

Thanks, that's what I figured. Strange that Ambient Weather tech support would suggest that, since it doesn't solve my issue. I've gone ahead and ordered a new temp/humidity sensor for my WS-1080.
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,
lytleric wrote: Wed 26 Feb 2020 1:53 pm I've gone ahead and ordered a new temp/humidity sensor for my WS-1080.
From where have you ordered that? It's a regular question on this forum and nobody (else) seems to have known the manufacturer or type number of any of the several types of T/H sensor fitted to the various FO stations.

Cheers, Alan.
lytleric

Post by lytleric »

I ordered it from Ambient Weather:

https://www.ambientweather.com/amws1180thr.html

They are in stock. (Relatively cheap too!)
wetterfrosch1971
Weather Station: wh1080
Operating System: windows7

Post by wetterfrosch1971 »

the hygrosensor ages and shows values ​​that are too low after about 3 years.
If the value is below 10%, the station no longer shows any value.
that ist normal.
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

lytleric wrote: Wed 26 Feb 2020 4:32 pm I ordered it from Ambient Weather
They don't ship outside USA, and that model uses 433 MHz, which is only 1 of the 3 at least different frequencies involved in different transmitters. As AllyCat has said before, there are also different coding methods, so this might not be compatible with what people want.
lytleric

Post by lytleric »

sfws wrote: Thu 27 Feb 2020 6:53 pm
lytleric wrote: Wed 26 Feb 2020 4:32 pm I ordered it from Ambient Weather
They don't ship outside USA, and that model uses 433 MHz, which is only 1 of the 3 at least different frequencies involved in different transmitters. As AllyCat has said before, there are also different coding methods, so this might not be compatible with what people want.
That's true, but they also have a 915 MHz model available:
https://www.ambientweather.com/amws1090thr.html

Not sure on the coding method, however. And is unfortunate they don't ship internationally.