Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

No reception when it rains - OK when it's sunny

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
cancunia
Weather Station: fine offset
Operating System: RPI B+

No reception when it rains - OK when it's sunny

Post by cancunia »

I have a WH1080 that's been working fine for a few years but during some heavy rain a couple of weeks ago the station lost contact with the transmitter. I put the transmitter inside for a couple of days to dry it out, then put the batteries back and all was fine indoors. After a couple more days, I put the transmitter back on it's pole and all was fine until it started raining.
I have 2 receivers that take readings from the transmitter, 1 is about half the distance (about 10 metres) from the transmitter. When it was raining, the nearest receiver kept going but the furthest got no signal. Now that it's sunny again, but fairly cold, the farthest receiver is getting a signal again.
The batteries were new a couple of weeks ago, they are Energizer Lithium.
I'm guessing it's either a battery voltage level, or the transmitter has started to fail?
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Re: No reception when it rains - OK when it's sunny

Post by water01 »

Can't find the topic but I seem to remember that someone else had the same problem and took the transmitter apart and found an oxidised joint, re-soldered it and it was fine from then on.
David
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: No reception when it rains - OK when it's sunny

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

Energizer Lithiums deliver almost 2 volts (each) at light load, so the voltage shouldn't be an issue (unless it's too high! ). Do you have any "obstructions" between the transmitter and receiver(s)? Damp brick for example may reduce the signal quite considerably, particularly if 868 MHz rather than 434 MHz. Also, some of the FO stations are notorious for not achieving their specified range.

But a damp PCB won't do any electronics any good. To take a look, it's now fairly easy to dismantle the transmitter box (internal plastic clips), whilst the earlier boxes were glued. You may find some help in the two "..Insides of .." stickly threads at the top of this FO subsection.

Cheers, Alan.