Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Watson w 8681 pro help!!!

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
Kedeb24
Weather Station: Watson w8681 pro
Operating System: Windows 10

Watson w 8681 pro help!!!

Post by Kedeb24 »

I am looking for some advice.... had Watson w 8681 pro for a couple of years or so. Last week the console went black so assumed it was that which had packed up. Ordered a new console and also new batteries for the outside sensor as realised hadnt changed them. Initially on changing batteries red light flashing then stopped, but no life in new console. Pressed reset and removed batteries and brought sensor within 10 feet of console as described in instruction book. Put batteries back in and red light flashes as described in book. Still no life in new console. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Deb
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Watson w 8681 pro help!!!

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,
Kedeb24 wrote: the console went black ........ Still no life in new console.
Welcome to the forum. Do you mean "black" or just "blank" (no data displayed) and by "no life" do you mean "no data" or just "no external data" ? Did you buy the replacement Console from exactly the same suppler as the first?

I don't know much about the "Watson" branded stations, but there have been several different versions of the generic Fine Offset 108x stations. Three different radio frequencies, of 434, 868 and 915 MHz (I used to think the 8681 model number indicated 868 MHz but I'm not so sure now). Also, some years ago FO changed the transmission protocol, but AFAIK it was more than just "a couple" of years ago. I've posted more details several times on this forum.

The indications are that you have obtained an "incompatible" Console, But more details may suggest some other possibilities.

Cheers, Alan.
Kedeb24

Post by Kedeb24 »

Hi Alan thanks for your response.
We bought the station via Amazon just under 3 years ago and have bought the new console direct from the Amazon seller.the screen is black just like a tv screen turned off and has never done the boot up welcome screen. We have tried the original power lead and a new universal ac/dc adapter lead on both consoles on both when plugged in just see a sight flash as if power is there but just the black screen afterwards. We wondered if the problem could be to do with the outdoor sensor not working but I would have thought that wouldn't prevent the screen being black and would a least show some data from the indoor sensor. We didn't get a new cable when we bought the new console so wondering if buying the exact cable for that station would help?
Thanks Debs
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

I'm still puzzled by the term "black", is it not like the station in this link ? BTW that is a generic FO "3081" and is the first I've seen quoted as 868 MHz (most are in Australia where they use 434 MHz).

Also see the 4th photo in the sticky thread which deals with various hardware aspects of this range of stations. Later photos show the various screen formats with battery fitted and external transmissions (i.e. with the "---" fields active). Can you post a link to the exact station/consoles that you have, to avoid any confusion?

The FO USB cable is "unusual" in having male (type A) plugs at both ends, but I don't see any point/need to replace it (at least to solve the issues you currently have).

Cheers, Alan.
Kedeb24

Post by Kedeb24 »

Hi Alan
This is the station we have watson
W8681 pro https://www.moonraker.eu/leisure/weathe ... er-station
The console doesnt appear to have any power to it which is why I describe the screen as being black and wondered if a faulty power lead.
The second problem was when replacing batteries in outside sensor they appeared to have corroded although no obvious damage but the red led light seems to flash as stated in instruction but stops if you move it then flashed very randomly
Thanks again
Debs
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

Sorry, I don't know much about that "PRO2" version of the Fine Offset stations, except that it isn't compatible with Cumulus (primarily because it doesn't have a USB computer connection).

In your case it certainly is possible that the power supply is faulty. If you can't test it, then perhaps obtaining a substitute power supply could be worthwhile. But the transmitter red LED should flash very consistently (about once every minute), so you need to try to clean that up first. Even then, the wireless range might be reduced, perhaps to much less than FO claim. :(

Cheers, Alan.
Kedeb24

Post by Kedeb24 »

Hi Alan
Thanks for all your help. We have managed to order a new power supply cable on line so will see if that fixes the problem with the console and if that does work should be able to see if outside sensor works. I believe I would need to buy the entire station if the outside sensor unit is faulty!! Will let you know how we get on when we receive the new lead.
Thanks again
Deb