Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cannot download data.

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
TRex
Weather Station: Fine Offset/WH1081
Operating System: Windows 10

Cannot download data.

Post by TRex »

G'Day,

When I boot up my computer, and open Cumulus, it will download barometric pressure readings for the period since the previous close, but then within a few seconds, I get the readings as shown below. Other than the baro’ pressures and the internal temperature and RH, no other data is shown,just a big bank of Zeros.

6/12/2016 2:58:46 PM : Lost sensor contact!!! 9D0: Data: 1A 3C 10 01 FF FF FF 62 24 FF FF FF 8E E4 03 40
6/12/2016 2:58:56 PM : Lost sensor contact!!! 9D0: Data: 1A 3C 10 01 FF FF FF 62 24 FF FF FF 8E E4 03 40
6/12/2016 2:59:06 PM : Lost sensor contact!!! 9D0: Data: 1A 3C 10 01 FF FF FF 62 24 FF FF FF 8E E4 03 40
6/12/2016 2:59:16 PM : Lost sensor contact!!! 9D0: Data: 1B 3C 10 01 FF FF FF 62 24 FF FF FF 8E E4 03 40
6/12/2016 2:59:26 PM : Lost sensor contact!!! 9D0: Data: 1B 3C 10 01 FF FF FF 62 24 FF FF FF 8E E4 03 40
6/12/2016 2:59:36 PM : Lost sensor contact!!! 9D0: Data: 1B 3C 10 01 FF FF FF 62 24 FF FF FF 8E E4 03 40

I have tried removing the sensor batteries, tested them, (1.52v), cleaned the contacts, and replaced them. I have also disconnected the input cable on the Desk Console, removed the batteries, reinstalled them and rebooted it. Furthermore, all the individual components of the outdoor station have been disconnected, all the contacts cleaned, and the Station has been reset with the reset button. Any units that could have the covers removed (eg Rain Gauge) have had the spiders, beetles and any other detritus removed, and cobwebs cleaned out. I can see the red light flash in the transmitter, when I press the reset button.

I am running Cumulus on my PC under Windows 10, My computer is 6 months old, and doesn’t play up at all. The Fine Offset is a Jaycar XC-0348 model, just over 2 years old, and I live in Australia. Other than the odd glitch, it has been reasonably reliable, though there have been a few anomalies, such as a -40 deg C temp last month, a 149 kph wind gust last June, which was accompanied by 25,778mm shower of rain!

My Version of Cumulus is 1.9.4 build no 1099.

I have looked in the FAQs for an answer for my problem, but cannot find anything that I haven’t already tried. As it has been working well for the past 24 or so months, it’s not a matter of set-up or compatibility, (I wouldn’t think)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards, Mike.
vaggos
Weather Station: PROWEATHER STATION 1080
Operating System: XP SP3, win7, Win10

Re: Cannot download data.

Post by vaggos »

Try something.
Put normal, batteries not rechargeable and abolished the Solar panel. Dont use it at all.
And don't forget toy check from devise manager of your pc Universal serial Buss controler the Generic USB Hub not to allow to turn off this device to save power mode.
Acharnes Athens Greece Meteo station
http://www.meteoacharnes.gr
https://weather.meteoacharnes.gr/
Thanks Sandaysoft
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately these low cost stations can fail in a relatively short time for no apparent reason. Being located outdoors in all weathers and the "Chip On Board" technology don't help. However, there are some (more?) tests that can be done before concluding that it must be dead:

Firstly, bring the transmitter moderately close to the Console (perhaps a few metres), don't plug the Solar Pod into the transmitter (plug the rain gauge directly into the transmitter for later tests if you wish) and don't plug in the USB cable (at either end). Remove a battery from the Console for a minute or two and then replace it. Within a few minutes (normally after the first flash of the transmitter LED) data should appear on the Console. If not, we have to assume that the station is faulty or you have a serious Radio Frequency Interference problem:

RFI might be due to almost any electronic or electrical device, so try switching off anything particularly nearby or "new", such as mobile phone, internet router, PC, etc.. Also consider neighbours who might (now) be "polluting" the airwaves.

If the Console does start working, then change the station to its "normal" configuration, one thing at a time (increase the radio range, add USB cable, Solar Pod, etc.) to discover what might be causing any loss of the radio communications. Note that it takes more than five minutes between the radio communications being "lost" (or blocked) and the dreaded "--" appearing on the Console display.

Cheers, Alan.
TRex

Post by TRex »

G'day Alan, and Vaggos,

Thank you both for your prompt replies and suggestions. It's too late now to try anything, but providing there is good weather tomorrow morning, I shall try both options.

Alan's comment on "Low cost stations" is taken on board, and in fact is probably top of my list for suspicions as to why it has failed. However, all avenues must be explored before I shell out for a new system. Even so, could I expect a Davis unit at $715 to last four times as long as a replacement Fine Offset which will cost $189? My guess is 'Probably', but $715 is not an inconsiderable sum, for what is really 'just for interest', and not a necessity of life.

I shall keep you informed of my progress.

Regards,

Mike
TRex

Post by TRex »

Well, unfortunately, I had no luck with those two possible "fixes", but I do appreciate the suggestions. Many thanks.

Regards,

Mike
philcdav
Weather Station: MyDEL WX2008 Mk2 Fine Offset
Operating System: XP and W7

Post by philcdav »

Hi Mike.

I would agree with the previous comments.

Some other things to try.

Unplug the console and run 'stand alone' with NO PC. What happens?

Plug the console in WITH A RUNNING PC but NO SOFTWARE RUNNING and leave it for 24 hours. What happens?

I had lots of issues with USB lockups over years but all is not what it seems with this kit.
For example, I have had no issues since adding a small plastic 'screen' to the UV sensor.
This is documented by me elsewhere in the forum.

Its a very simple, cheap fix that has given me 100% reliability.

The current thinking seems to be that bright light exceeds the solar panel output voltage triggering a system lockup.
Nothing to do with the USB system at all!

Hope this helps
Phil - G0DOR
TRex

Post by TRex »

G'day Phil,

Sorry I have not replied earlier, but I only checked on the website yesterday by chance, and saw your post. I have tried your first suggestion, but to no avail. (I left it disconnected for 24 hrs), and now I have just connected the Console to the PC, but without Cumulus running. I'll give that 24 hrs too, and report back.

One interesting point to note is that I don't think I have got a UV sensor on my version of the Fine Offset, it is a Jaycar XC-0348, which is a rebadged Fine Offset for the Aussie market.

I'll see how suggestion 2 works, and let you know tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

Regards, Mike
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

I don't have a Fine Offset station but from what I have read here in the past is that if you select the Fine Offset with UV/Light sensor in the settings when in fact that is not your station, that that will cause a problem. From the Cumulus settings Help:
If you have a WH3080 or WH3081 station, or any other Fine Offset station which has UV and Solar Sensors, you must select 'Fine Offset with UV/Light sensor'. Note that there are some Fine Offset stations which have a solar charger for the batteries; this is not the same as having solar and UV sensors. If your station has a solar charger but does not have solar and UV sensors, use the 'normal' Fine Offset setting, not the 'Fine Offset with UV/Light sensor' setting.
A forum search will give you some further information.

Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

TRex

Post by TRex »

Thanks for your input Paul. I don't have the UV sensor, but I haven't configured it to that spec, I have ticked the box for "Fine Offset (WH1080 etc)". The one with the UV sensor is 2 down from that.

It's not that I have never been able to get it going, it's just died on me about 3 weeks ago, and none of the suggestions made have been able to resuscitate it. However, I appreciate your support, Thanks.

Regards, Mike.
TRex

Post by TRex »

Phil,

I promised to let you know the results of connecting the Console to the PC without Cumulus running. It's now 24 hrs+ since I set it up in this manner, and when I did run Cumulus, it downloaded only what was on the Console, ie Pressure and Temperature.

I think I shall try one last time, and start everything from scratch, but try using EasyWeather, and to put new batteries in throughout, even though they are testing 100%.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions, I'll let you know what happens in due course.

Regards,

Mike
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

Looking quickly back through the thread, I can't see if the most fundamental question has been answered: What data is being displayed on the Console LCD?

If the external data is missing on the LCD then it's fundamentally a problem between the Transmitter and Console, if displayed/correct then it's a problem with the Console to PC interface.

Cheers, Alan.
mikechristelow
Weather Station: Watson W8681 (solar)

Post by mikechristelow »

I've seen this "External Sensor Lost" problem a few times since commissioning a Watson W8681 Solar station and console in the last few days. Before that I had a Technoline Ws2350.

What puzzles me is that, although Cumulus reports the error, I can't see anything on the Watson console to indicate a loss of contact. The error 'occurs' - usually just one event according to the Cumulus error log - but the data continues to be received from the sensors.
http://www.christelow.co.uk
“It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
"So it is."
"And freezing."
"Is it?"
"Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately.”

AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

The Fine Offset Consoles do not indicate "Loss of Contact" on their LCD (e.g. "----" in the outside data fields) until they have failed to recveive about SEVEN consecutive data packets, i.e. after about 6 minutes. Before this they simply display the last data that was received. I don't know how Cumulus detects the Loss of Contact, but it must be in the data received directly from the Console's memory.

Cheers, Alan.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Yes, it's that flag being set as shown in the last byte of the data in the first post in this thread - hex 40. You would think that the console would set that flag at the same time that it goes to dashes on the display, but this Fine Offset, so who knows...
Steve
mikechristelow
Weather Station: Watson W8681 (solar)

Post by mikechristelow »

So I was able witness the "sensor lost contact" report by Cumulus and the display on the Watson W8681 this evening and the behaviour matches exactly how Alan describes - the external values on the console revert to "---" after 6 error instances or 288 seconds elapsed from the first lost contact. I can also confirm that it doesn't seem to be related to the ambient light affecting the solar pod at the time - the problem has occurred during the night, overcast conditions and bright sunlight for me. The equipment is all brand new and only out of the box and in service for a few days.

It's clearly not a USB issue since the other 'internal' values reported by the console continue to update in Cumulus OK. In my case the console has started to receive the full external set of data sometime after the failure without intervention by me - last night/this morning there was a break in data received from approx 2330 to 0130, and then again from 0230 to 0445 approx. I thought this must be a battery thing and there being insufficient charge in the hours of darkness, but the same occurred again just after 6pm when light levels were good and after a day where we've had good levels of sun for much of the day.

I also noticed what appeared to be a similar event but limited to the solar rad values for about 2 hours between midday and 2pm, where the value was seemingly stuck at 390W/m2 whilst all other values fluctuated more as expected.

So, definitely more investigations needs - I will report further in due course!
http://www.christelow.co.uk
“It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
"So it is."
"And freezing."
"Is it?"
"Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately.”